Author Topic: Hello from an east coast farm  (Read 5972 times)

Offline Sodbuster

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Re: Hello from an east coast farm
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »
Thanks again everybody !

I've been comparing the daily weather between Sundance and here recently. I never knew that the heat index worked in both directions! Humidity levels in the teens ? I don't think it gets that low here in the winter. As a friend said " That's dry enough to chap the lips on a woodpecker !" :D For comparison, tomorrow's temp here is supposed to be 99 with a heat index of around 115. :o

I'll try an contact some realtors and get some possibilities lined up to look at when I come out and to get an idea of the local land prices.

Offline clemmac

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »
North East Wyoming can be lush in May, that's usually the month that those of us involved in agriculture and who live in Crook County consider the wettest.  We might even get some good moisture in June, but usually by July the rain shuts down and we proceed with what rain the months of April, May and June brought us. 

I'll admit that my Crook County experience is limited, but in the 15 years we've been here and involved in ranching, at least half or more of those years have been years of poor hay crops. 

Sodbuster, we hope you'll join us in Wyoming !  My comment and comments from others who live in Wyoming should still stand and our advice to think of Wyoming as a DRY country should be considered. 

I have also been in agriculture in Minnesota and I know from personal experience that there's a great difference in the way a farmer needs to look at things between there and here.

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 08:45:45 PM »
North East Wyoming can be lush in May, that's usually the month that those of us involved in agriculture and who live in Crook County consider the wettest.? We might even get some good moisture in June, but usually by July the rain shuts down and we proceed with what rain the months of April, May and June brought us.?

I'll admit that my Crook County experience is limited, but in the 15 years we've been here and involved in ranching, at least half or more of those years have been years of poor hay crops.?

Sodbuster, we hope you'll join us in Wyoming !? My comment and comments from others who live in Wyoming should still stand and our advice to think of Wyoming as a DRY country should be considered.

IANAR (new acronym - I am not a rancher), but I believe that Crook County has the most temperate climate in the state, along with the longest growing season.? It's at the lowest altitude and has the only native stands of oak trees in the entire state.? I suspect it's a good place for you to look.? Come on out!

Offline Sodbuster

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
Fear not, clemmac your obsevations are being given serious consideration. I realize that things are different out there and that I will have to learn the Wyoming way. There's few things more annoying than having someone move in and start with " Well, that's not how we did it where I come from." >:(

So a fall trip should give a more realistic picture of the area ?

Offline clemmac

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 09:08:02 PM »
Crook County is a fine place to be  :)  Winters are easier than they were in south central Minnesota where I came from and the sun shines MUCH more than Minnesota.  Summers are warmer by just a bit, but much more comfortable because it's not humid here.  Winter cold is also more tolerable because of the low humidity. 

We HAVE experienced a wider range of temperatures here, the low being -42F and the high was last Saturday at 110F. 

A trip to Wyoming in the fall will be a delightful time to visit !

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
Actually, it might make more sense for him to look at the Wyoming Climate Atlas, which has a lot more hard data on precipitation and growing season. Also we discuss climate on this thread.

Chill, IANAR either, but I've read that the Torrington area is best for agriculture, and has the mildest climate. But Crook is close...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:36:09 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »
Actually, it might make more sense for him to look at the Wyoming Climate Atlas, which has a lot more hard data on precipitation and growing season. Also we discuss climate on this thread.

Chill, IANAR either, but I've read that the Torrington area is best for agriculture, and has the mildest climate. But Crook is close...

What a great web site!  The myriad of maps is very informative.

And yes you're right about Crook not being the best area for intense agriculture.  However I still think it might be pretty good for growing hay.

Offline Sodbuster

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »
Hi Everybody

I haven't been posting lately because I've been off researching ( well, that and the fact that I don't chat all that much in person either :)).

I have learned that land seems to run quite a bit higher in Crook Co. compared to farther south, so I've been checking out Platte and Goshen counties recently. I've seen several listings that I'd like to take a look at, particularly around Glendo, so I might have to drive out as soon as I can get away.

Any additional comments, suggestions, or opinions willl be given my full attention.

Thanks

Hunter

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »
Where abouts 'round Glendo?

Offline Sodbuster

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 09:08:29 PM »
They're around 10 miles east of the reservoir.