Author Topic: An introduction, and Podcasting about Free State Wyoming  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Cato Craft

• Reader
    • Radio Free Liberty
An introduction, and Podcasting about Free State Wyoming
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:29:28 AM »
Greetings, everyone,

I only recently learned of the Free State Wyoming project and I am very excited about what Boston and you all are doing.  My wife and I are looking to move when we retire from our teaching jobs in Missouri, and until now I thought that NH would be our only option to join a free state movement.

I was not comfortable with that. We?re from the high desert of California and had looked forward to returning to a semi-arid climate and a big sky. Cat and I are not ?East Coast? types.

Finding FSW was one of those ?Wow! This is it!? experiences.

Anyway, I do have a favor to ask:
I have a principled libertarian podcast called Radio Free Liberty.

http://RadioFreeLiberty.com

I will shortly be putting together an episode devoted to the Free State Wyoming project. Boston has graciously agreed to record a conversation with me for the podcast in the near future. What I would like to ask any of you who are interested, is to:

Reply to this posting with any points or observations that you would like me to include in the podcast regarding the Free State Wyoming project. If you want to remain anonymous I will certainly respect that.

I?d be interested in reading about your experiences in moving to Wyoming, what surprised you,  What worked for you, what didn?t.
I?d like to hear if there is a palpable culture of freedom developing, is the movement progressing well, and anything else you feel is important to tell RFL listeners about FSW. I will present your comments in the podcast unedited and with proper attribution.

I hope RFL can, in its humble way,  help get the word about FSW out to a few other non east-coast types like Cat and me :)
I very much appreciate your interest and input, and I look forward to getting to know you on this board and someday meeting you in Wyoming!

Best,
Cato
Cato Craft

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable. -Mencken

Offline Mutt

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Give me Liberty, or give me death.
Re: An introduction, and Podcasting about Free State Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
Greetings!
Wow, what a great idea. I cannot afford an Ipod right now, but I do have a Mac with I Tunes. I wonder if I can get it that way?
I am always gratified when free thinking people find FSW ;D, and I look forward to meeting you both down the road.

See you in Wyoming!
Yours in Freedom,
Mutt
I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.  ? George Mason 1788

They'ed rather be alive than free I guess. Poor dumb bastards.--
8Ball, Full Metal Jacket

Offline Don Wills

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »
Greetings!
Wow, what a great idea. I cannot afford an Ipod right now, but I do have a Mac with I Tunes. I wonder if I can get it that way?
I am always gratified when free thinking people find FSW ;D, and I look forward to meeting you both down the road.

Sure - works fine.  I listen to all sorts of podcasts on my Mac and never once have moved one of them to my iPod.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:25:43 PM »
I was listening to your podcasts, and I'm impressed! Welcome to the local brigade of the libertarian army.  :)

I may get back to you with some thoughts after I've taken the time to think them, ha ha, but you might address the notion of "the remnant" in one of your podcasts.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Mutt

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Give me Liberty, or give me death.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 01:19:38 PM »
Thanks Chill,
Mutt
I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.  ? George Mason 1788

They'ed rather be alive than free I guess. Poor dumb bastards.--
8Ball, Full Metal Jacket

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »
Cato, glad to have you here. I know what you mean about that "wow" moment. Great folks here and I am learning so much. I'll have to take some time to write latter ,but many of us have posted in other places on the board about the things you are looking for.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »
Greetings!

See you in Wyoming!
Yours in Freedom,
Mutt

No need for a Mac, iTunes, or even an iPod. Most sites (the one above included) provide the podcasts as MP3 files that you can download and listen to at your convenience on your PC or MP3 player or you can burn them to audio CD and listen in your car. Lots of options.  ;D  Just go to their site and download the files.
Thanks,
The Management

Offline Cato Craft

• Reader
    • Radio Free Liberty
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 08:12:10 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will continue to browse the postings here to learn from you all. The reason that I asked for anyone who was interested in contributing to the podcast episode to post a reply on this thread is that I will assume that any replies here come with permission to quote on the podcast. Unless noted otherwise, of course!

Hi, Mutt, yes the term "podcast' implies more than what it really is. Forum Administrator is right- all you need is a computer with speakers. Click on any mp3 sound file and it should automatically start playing for you. So you can go to my site or any other podcaster's and listen directly. The cool thing about podcasting though is that people with mp3 players like iPods can hook up a "docking" station to their computer which works seamlessly with Apple's iTunes web site.

So for instance, I can go on iTunes, subscribe to half a dozen podcasts, and whenever I pop my iPod into the docking station, it automatically connects to iTunes and downloads all the new episodes of the podcasts that I've subscribed to. In a half an hour I have a whole new week's worth of listening stored in the iPod. Then I can unplug it and go- I can listen over my car stereo, and I have a unit in the kitchen where Cat and I listen in our kitchen. I get to hear dozens of different programs, mostly commercial free, when I want and where I want. I can replay segments or whole programs. Sort of like a TIVO for talk radio! I am not locked into a broadcaster's schedule, and of course the selection of programming is almost unlimited. That's why I truly believe that this is the media of the future.

I may get back to you with some thoughts after I've taken the time to think them, ha ha, but you might address the notion of "the remnant" in one of your podcasts.
Thanks Paul!
-Cato
Cato Craft

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable. -Mencken