Author Topic: Hello from occupied California  (Read 5165 times)

Offline ellie

• Reader
Hello from occupied California
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
Hello - just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 35 y.o woman living in San Diego with my husband and our dog. We're having a baby in January and know that we can't raise a child in this statist environment. My husband grew up in a different Southern California - one full of eccentric hobbiests who just wanted to be left alone - but now - well, I don't have to tell any of you what it's like, I'm sure you're aware.

I grew up a liberal - was raised in a college town by college professors to believe that guns are bad, hunters drunken buffoons, Republicans evil, and Christians unthinking cult members. My eyes started to open some 15 years ago when I met some libertarians whose ideas made sense, but it wasn't until 2004, hearing election coverage, that I was absolutely convicted that I had been lied to and led astray for my entire life.

I've spent much of my youth building a career that means nothing to me, and I realize now that all I want is to be a mother to my child (or children if we're blessed), a wife to my husband, and an active member of a community of bright, eccentric conservatives. I would like to home school our kid, perhaps using some of the unschooling principles I've been learning about. I'm not stuck on gender roles necessarily, but this is what I wish for in my heart and what fulfills me, and I find it sad that building a home and nurturing a family was never presented as viable to most women of my generation.

My husband hunts, fishes, shoots, and collects firearms (which of course means he practically has to have a law degree, being a gun owner in California), and while I'm not much of a shooter, I know how to handle a gun and will be practicing more when I'm not concerned about the affect on a small new life.

I just finished reading 'Enemies Foreign and Domestic' (which gave me nightmares) and am about 1/3 through Molon Labe. About every 3 pages on that book I have to read sections to my husband - and he's already read it! I hadn't heard of Free State Wyoming before - and I always did say to myself "New Hampshire?" when thinking about the FSP. We're both active in the local libertarian party and have campaigned for local candidates - to no avail, but we hope that the ideas getting out there is a positive thing. I was lucky enough to meet Harry Brown in 2005 at a San Diego Libertarian Party convention, and he struck me as one of the kindest and brightest men I have ever met. Yet, the words in Molon Labe about the party being stuck in strategy when what we need are tactics ring true.

So, all that remains is to find the community where we fit, make the move, and figure out how to support ourselves. We've been looking at Idaho and Montana, but now we're curious about Wyoming and this project, too. The State run liquor stores in Idaho bug us a bit - not that we drink much, but it's a breach of freedom that we don't care for.

I look forward to chatting with some of you, and perhaps meeting some of you at some point.

Ellie

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
Re: Hello from occupied California
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »
First of many... ~W~ elcome aboard.

*couldn't resist. Just got the new emoticon up and running yesterday (or was it Wednesday?).*
Thanks,
The Management

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
Ellie, so glad to have you with us, take some time and look around. There is lots of great info here and lots of great folks. Have you or your husband ever been to Wyoming?  If not , hopefully you can plan a vacation sometime. Anyway ,join in the fun. :D 
 Talk to ya latter.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:18:28 PM »
Hi Ellie,
I was reading ML and I found this site.  My wife and I visited the state recently and will again in  September.  (i spent time at the 32nd Street Naval Station. Nice weather, in port.)  How'd you happen onto the site?
Men for whom God is dead worship one another.  Crews

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 09:11:49 PM »
Hi Ellie,

Welcome here, and thank you for introducing yourself and family.

I've spent much of my youth building a career that means nothing to me, and I realize now that all I want is to be a mother to my child (or children if we're blessed), a wife to my husband, and an active member of a community of bright, eccentric conservatives.
I was very touched by such a wistful and poignant confession of the heart.
You're clearly a lady who is nicely reording her priorities.
It is my great hope that Wyoming and the FSW will be instrumental for your vision.

Even though the FSW has only one large annual get-together (our Jamboree), we've
folks in many areas throughout Wyoming.  As you'll see from touring our forum, they're
very friendly and helpful.  Come out for a visit, even if it's a quick one and meet some of us
as you learn how special is Wyoming.

Then brace yourself for a move here!  I can't recall how many folks packed up and relocated
to Wyoming after their first visit.  It's happened so often that it can't be a fluke.  Heh!

Boston

[/color]

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »
Hello Ellie!  Glad you are here  ~W~   

I'm glad you're living your hearts desire! There are quite a few of us wives/moms/homeschoolers here and we're glad to have you along with us  ;D     

My DH loaned out our copy of ML and I'm chomping at the bit to get it back since I haven't had a chance to read it  :'(

Talk to you soon!
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »
Don't forget Jim's Halloween party this fall...
Thanks,
The Management

Offline ellie

• Reader
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:42:59 PM »
Thanks to each of you for the welcome  ;D I'm impressed with your friendliness as a group, as Californian transplant types rightly make many people nervous.

Miles - I've just been through and seen some of the nature, never got to spend any time with people. And Barry hasn't visited - so it'll have to go on our to-do list!

Fred - Like you, I discovered the forum after starting ML.

Boston - Thank you! We will stop in and visit. Soon, I hope.

Survivalmama - I like your moniker : ) If you don't get your copy of ML back soon I could loan you mine when I'm done. It's really a great read!

And FSW forum admin, whoever you are - thank you for being the first to welcome me.

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 09:18:10 AM »
FSW Forum Admin is me in my official capacity of keeping things running here.

Me in my unofficial, smart ass remark making capacity is J L Hodge.
Thanks,
The Management

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 12:31:04 PM »
My eyes started to open some 15 years ago when I met some libertarians whose ideas made sense, but it wasn't until 2004, hearing election coverage, that I was absolutely convicted that I had been lied to and led astray for my entire life.

Another lightbulb appears above a citizen's head. Lot of people are having that experience lately.  :)

I'm impressed with your friendliness as a group, as Californian transplant types rightly make many people nervous.

Well, Wyomingites are going to have to get used to it, as more freedom-lovers bail out of there. If you pack a gun, nobody will care where you come from.  ;)

This is a great group, in a great state. You'll love it around here!
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Cato Craft

• Reader
    • Radio Free Liberty
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 05:42:55 AM »
Hi, Ellie
My wife Cat and I are new to this group as well.
We are in Missouri, but came from Southern California almost 20 years ago. It was too much a fascist state even then when we got out. I can only imagine how it is now.
We homeschooled our dauthter and ran a business in Missouri where we had much more freedom than we had ever known. But the pull of liberty is incessant.
Now we are looking to FSW for our next step.
We too are looking forward to visiting Wyoming as soon as possible.
I am experiencing the same thing you are reading Molon Labe. I stop every page or two and read something to my wife!
Best to you and your future!
-Cato

http://RadioFreeLiberty.com
Cato Craft

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out... without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable. -Mencken

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 09:30:29 PM »
Dear Ellie and family,
I only escaped from Southern Calif. last September, and am now living the life of my dreams in Wyoming. I'm a 60 yr. old widow, living alone, but I have the pleasure and privilege of all my FSW neighbors and friends here - as well as all of the wonderful people around who are not part of the FSW.

Most of us here are ready and willing to help you in any way possible, both to prepare for the move and to assist after you get here.

If you come to Newcastle, please stop by to visit and let me give you a big, Wyoming welcome and hug.

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline SteveL

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Ex-Kalifornian
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 07:52:55 AM »
Greetings from a fellow ex-Kalifornian (NorCal).
You say cynical like it's something bad.

Offline ellie

• Reader
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »
MamaLiberty - Thank you! I could use a hug right about now. This pregnancy thing is more exhausting than I thought it'd be, and city life can feel so isolating! We'll be planning a trip soon.

Cato Craft - Our State legislature passes something like 4 new laws per day, and their contempt for the citizens is outrageous. What really gets to me is the overriding opinion that it's OK - or "progressive." What kind of a word is that? Good luck with your plans to move, presuming that your visit leads to that.

SteveL - Ah, NorCal is even worse - at least I live in a Red county : )

Paul - Yes, it was like a lightbulb. I'd had a libertarian baseline philosophy for a long time, but it just became so clear to me during the election coverage a) that the mainstream media was peddling outright lies and propaganda b) how much contempt 'liberal' America has for their fellow citizens and c) that rational dialog with avowed lefties had become impossible. They just shut down.

Even with smart people willing to talk I can lead them to a place where they admit that it appears that gun rights are important - but then their emotions take over and they say something like "but I just don't like guns anyhow."

At any rate, what's ironic is that in a State where I could legally open or conceal carry, I doubt if I'd feel a need to do so. Though I certainly might and Barry would.

I'm getting a real sense of urgency just now. Things are getting crazier here. I'm going to start planning our trip.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »
Ellie,
Bless your heart! I know at least some of what you're feeling about the urgency. I spent almost 59 years in California, most of that as a "Libertarian," and just finally knew that I didn't belong there - that it would be the death of me if I didn't get out.

No, there isn't much criminal activity here in Wyoming, official or otherwise, but there is a tremendously good reason to carry your gun here. It's called "education." I will soon be carrying my own gun as much as possible, not because I fear being mugged, but because I want to help the good people of Wyoming realize that their rights and freedom are as much at stake as those of anyone else in the country, and that one of the few ways they can help prevent their loss is by becoming adamant about their own right to keep and bear arms. In the middle of a supposed "gun culture" here, I've not seen one person in Newcastle with a gun - except the cops. The only people I've seen armed otherwise have been FSW members, and most of them are from other states!

So, come to Wyoming and help us keep it free. We need all the help we can get.

Can't wait to meet you - and this old grandma just LOVES babies... <G>

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.