Author Topic: My parents  (Read 5541 times)

Offline ZackSkrip

• Rather Interested
My parents
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:39:57 PM »
Hey guys,

My parents came up to visit me not too long ago in WA and while they were here I let them borrow my copy of Molon Labe!. That was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Well I get a call from them today and my mom says that my dad just finished the book (my mom read it first) and he says that he wants to have the house sold and move to Wyoming by MAY! I asked them if they were joking (alright, what I _actually_ said was a bit more terse, but that is neither here nor there? ::) ) and my dad said 'no, I want to do this for me. I would like to see that kind of freedom.' So I would like to introduce my parents, Ron and Kathy. They should be logging on soon.

They are thinking about the Cheyenne area.

Anywho, I was excited to hear about this and I thought I would share it with y'all!

Zack

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
Re: My parents
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:43:52 PM »
That's awesome Zack!  I sure hope that they can get their house sold quickly.   I wish we could get our copy back so I could read it; we're already here in WY but I'd still like to read it  ;D

Way to go!
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:53:56 AM »
Zack, this news has made my whole week !!   I'm looking forward to talking with them soon and hope to meet them at the next JAM.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

laurel

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:11:59 AM »
For various reasons, among which are escaping California and ending up closer to where I settle down, my parents are also looking at Wyoming. I don't have them sold on FSW yet, but my mom likes some of the country out there and dislikes a lot of the government. She liked what she saw of Lander... But she has a lot left to see, which I'll be tagging along for in September.

Anyway - welcome to YOUR parents, glad they're on the bandwagon! :)

appaloosablue

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
Zack,

That is incredible news, very pleased for you.  It would be blessing if all our families would take that step and move here........if I gave my mom a copy of Molon Labe she would read about half and then try to have me committed :P

Brandy

Offline Ron

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »
As Zach said, I'm ready. To much of our liberties have been eaten away like a sandwich, one bite at a time and before we knew it nothing is left. Maybe I'm getting into this too late (69 1/2) didn't know of the potential, but like walking, the first step is the most important and the most frightening.... But NOTHING is more frightening your first day at boot camp in the Marine Corps, I made it then and I'll make it now.
Looking forward to living in freedom with free people for the rest of my days.

Ron.

Hunter

Re: Ron & 69 1/2 ?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »
As Zach said, I'm ready. To much of our liberties have been eaten away like a sandwich, one bite at a time and before we knew it nothing is left. Maybe I'm getting into this too late (69 1/2) didn't know of the potential, but like walking, the first step is the most important and the most frightening.... But NOTHING is more frightening your first day at boot camp in the Marine Corps, I made it then and I'll make it now.
Looking forward to living in freedom with free people for the rest of my days.

Ron.

As Zach said, I'm ready.? ?

Yer ready, eh? Yer leaving for here today, right?? :D

To much of our liberties have been eaten away like a sandwich, one bite at a time and before we knew it nothing is left.

I've called it the nibble-nibble effect for years?? :'(

Maybe I'm getting into this too late (69 1/2)

Why is 69 1/2 to late? 69 1/2, Izzat old?? ???

Looking forward to living in freedom with free people for the rest of my days

Cool, Great idea! What's holding ya up?? :o

See ya!

SOON?
OH Yes, WELCOME to? ~W~!!!!!

Hunter
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:48:35 AM by Hunter/Pete »

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:43:20 AM »
Good to have you on board Ron!
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

laurel

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:50:36 PM »
Ron -

My dad isn't much younger than you (he'll be 65 next year) and he and my mom (she's 50) are about to pack up and leave CA and start over somewhere better. They own some property near Moscow, ID where I am right now, which my dad really likes, but my mom is still checking out locations in Wyoming and some other places. Wherever they end up, they plan on starting from the ground up and BUILDING a new house, shop, barn, etc. You're never to old to win yourself some more freedom - and you're only as old as you THINK you are!

Besides, what's that thing Boston said in Molon Labe about the activist types being under 30 or over 65... ;D

Welcome onboard!

Laurel

Offline Atlas Shrug

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 03:31:40 PM »
Besides, what's that thing Boston said in Molon Labe about the activist types being under 30 or over 65... ;D

That's a very high correlation with pre and post children years, of course.  The intertwined complications and responsibilities of caring for your children and/or your parents hits hard in these years.  Seems like I've been in constant caregiver mode now for the past 12 or so years, with likely another 20 or so ahead of me.  Hmm...just defined the gap.   :)
Keep your powder dry,

Atlas Shrug

"Ordnance trumps Ordinance"   -Atlas Shrug
"The only thing worth getting up tight about is your rifle sling."  -Bobcat

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 03:39:35 PM »
Dear Ron,
I moved here from California last year at the age of 59, all alone and in poor health. It was hard, and my entire family thinks I've lost my mind, but it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I've regained my health, and enjoy the blessings of liberty and this wonderful FSW family every day. The bottom line is that, no matter what your age or condition, you simply can't lose if you come determined to live free or die trying.

I want to congratulate Zack too, and offer warmest welcome for his parents. I'm so happy for you and want to do anything I can to help you or them. If they come anywhere near Newcastle, please have them stop by for a visit. I do hope they join us here on the forum so we can all get to know each other, even if we have to wait for the next "Jam" to meet in person.

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

laurel

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »
That's a very high correlation with pre and post children years, of course.  The intertwined complications and responsibilities of caring for your children and/or your parents hits hard in these years. 

I realized this after having a chat with my mom the other day about open carrying and other such acts of freedom. She's in mothering "You're going to get yourself shot!" mode. It kind of makes me afraid to have children (moreso than I already am ;D) as I'm concerned about losing my will to fight for what I believe in. (Mike gets the same thing from his folks - "No, it's not that I disagree with you, I think you're right, and yes I know it's your right to do it, it's just that it's not WORTH it...")

Reason I brought all that up is because it's reassuring to be here and see examples of parents that have the right mindset!

Laurel

Offline Blaineus

• FSW Associate
  • Soli Deo gloria
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »
That's a very high correlation with pre and post children years, of course.  The intertwined complications and responsibilities of caring for your children and/or your parents hits hard in these years. 

I realized this after having a chat with my mom the other day about open carrying and other such acts of freedom. She's in mothering "You're going to get yourself shot!" mode. It kind of makes me afraid to have children (moreso than I already am ;D) as I'm concerned about losing my will to fight for what I believe in. (Mike gets the same thing from his folks - "No, it's not that I disagree with you, I think you're right, and yes I know it's your right to do it, it's just that it's not WORTH it...")

Reason I brought all that up is because it's reassuring to be here and see examples of parents that have the right mindset!

Laurel
Is that "No, it's not that I disagree with you..." in a script for parents somewheres?  I definitely have heard the EXACT same thing.  I bet it's in like, Dr. Spock or something.
I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is base. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cleave to me.  Perverseness of heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil.
~Psalm 101

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
Is that "No, it's not that I disagree with you..." in a script for parents somewheres?

Not that I ever heard of, and I'm 60 years old. Seems to me that if you agree with someone, that's the end of it. Only someone with a split personality or psychosis is going to say they agree with you, and then try to talk you out of it - if they actually understand what you're talking about, of course. The idea that something you "agree with" is somehow then "not worth it," is even more psychotic.

The problem is that they probably agree with your desire to live free, but don't really have much of a clue what that means or what it takes to live that way. All you can do is try to educate them. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

laurel

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »
The problem is that they probably agree with your desire to live free, but don't really have much of a clue what that means or what it takes to live that way. All you can do is try to educate them.

I think you're right, Mama. I think a lot of that comes from the fact that they both have lived their entire lives in California, except for a few years my dad was in the Air Force. As a CA transplant yourself, I'd imagine you can understand how different it feels just to be in a freer place. That's why I could never move back now - after being in Idaho for the last three years, I've grown into the amount of freedom I have here, and to return to CA would be shoving me back into a little cage. I don't even like going back on vacation anymore!

Maybe I should give 'em a copy of Molon Labe... Worked for Ron and Kathy, right? ;D Seriously though, I think they'll change at least somewhat when they move somewhere better and realize what they've been missing out all this time. It's already happening to my dad, as I talked about over in this thread: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?topic=2829.0.

Laurel