Prospective Free State Wyoming (FSW) Members and Interested Parties > Prospective Free State Wyoming (FSW) Members and Interested Parties

FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!

(1/18) > >>

Boston:
Dear FSWyomingites,

This thread is for those relocated here to offer a concise and inspiring
story about your own experience moving to Wyoming, for linking to
the FSW website.  What its readers would enjoy hearing about are
the people here, the land, the freedom-oriented culture, etc.

If locals and FSWers have been significantly helpful, please note that, too.

Many of you have already done so on other threads, and you're welcome
to grab/edit/post such here, which is a board accessible to non-forum users
(thus, we can link it to the website).  Please note that I may have to
occasionally edit for length or presentability, but this will rare.

I thank you for your help here, which will nicely spruce up the FSW site
and showcase the best quality of the FSW:  its people.

Martha has made a very nice first post. 
llbisme (Lori, a local and FSW friend), PatriotAR15, Prairie Fire,
rhodges, Paul Bonneau, and DontTreadOnMe also have posted their own stories.

Thank you all for these inspiring narratives!

So, who's next?

~W~
Boston

MarthaK:
Okay, I guess I'll start.? I'm not sure if you'll want to use our story for the website though.?

We moved to Crook county from Sweetwater county, Wyoming this summer.? We wanted to live and bring up our boys in a small town.? Where my vote on local issues still matters.? We had been official "members" of FSW for about 4 months, and we wanted to be a part of that community.? The forum is great, but we wanted to make it our lifestyle.? Tom and I started discussing what freedom and liberty and friendship really were.? At that same time, Tom attended his first Gurnsey shoot.? It was life-changing for him.? He realized that Rifleman is a way of life and not a hobby.? We met our first FSWers there.? Men that were not afraid to be men!

So our house went on the market.? Within 2 months it was sold. However, because of unfortunate and unseen circumstances we lost about $15,000.? Ouch.? That was supposed to be our down-payment on another home.? We ended up living in a campground for 6 weeks.? By we, I mean the whole family, all 5 of us.? If anyone thinks this is easy, or fun, I challenge you to try.? The housing in NE Wyoming is very limited.? We tried weekly, if not daily to rent a place - ANY place.? We found a house in Sundance that was for sale, and the couple that owns it has been very gracious in letting us rent until we are able to buy.? We found out today that they are willing to work a 5 year lease with us.? So we are HERE for at least 5 years!? ?:D

We moved our things from storage one car load or truck load at a time.? We had so much FSW help it was unbelievable.? At that time we hadn't even met PaulWY, and yet he offered the use of his truck and labor.? Jared has become part of the family.? He has offered his assistance every step of the way.? Jed Bodacious made several trips for us as well, even when his own future was up in the air.? Thank you all.

Tom has had 3 jobs since moving to this area.? We have found that many jobs are seasonal so that if it rains, snows or the wind blows too hard, he doesn't work that day.? He worked a total of 8 days the month of November.? Sad to say you can't live on love.? But my husband is flexible and willing to do what is needed to provide for us.? As I homeschool the boys, I am not able to work outside the home at this time.? Tom now works nights in various mines around Gillette, and we are finding that it works for us.? At least until it snows? ;)

We've had other support along the way.? KesWindHunter has given me a great boost of "girl time", and we've had great discussions on everything under the sun.? As a side note - there really needs to be more women!? RazorCityRifleman - what can I say.? He's opened our eyes on many topics.? The personal shooting instruction has been phenomenal.?

Anyway, back to why we moved.? We are now a part of a REAL community.? We don't just network and take what we need.? I love these people.? They are people I will fight - politically, verbally or even physically - for and with.? Has it been easy?? No!? Is it worth it?? In every way because we will be a part of what is RIGHT in this country.

Tom, Martha and Boys?

llbisme:
First time posting, This is a topic i feel strongly about.
? ? ?I am a single mother of two. Before living here in Wyoming I resided in Denver and San Diego. In 2002 I was once again the victim of school budget cuts and my teaching position was eliminated. I was faced with my 7th move in four years. I and my chjildren had grown very weary of the Gypsy life. A very wise women whom I love dearly suggested I look into moving to Wyoming. My reaction was not favorable. I figured she had been nipping at the sauce again or maybe even something heavier. WYOMING NO WAY I THOUGHT. But, like I said I love this women very much so I did as she suggested and LOOKED INTO moving to THE COWBOY STATE. That motto too nearly scared me off. However I did not hastily judge and I looked deeper. What I found was a few things that convinced me to give THE EQUALITY STATE? (I like that motto better). a try. These are the points that sold me.
1) Schools that still had very low teacher student ratios ( vital to a good education)
2) Schools that for the most part ranked above the national average and often where off the charts
3) Communities I didnt feel like I needed to arm my 5 year old to go out and play in.
4) A cost of living that would allow me to get a HOME for my kids not an apartment or closet
5) A State that is breathtakingly gourgeous in many many areas.
6) The great outdoors in abundance.
7) Room to breath
8) The end to traffic jams (except in Campbell County)
9) Smaller close knit communities

The only challange I have found was the employment situation. I was told by many, " You will never find work here" Well many where wrong. I have not always had my DREAM job but I have had and continue to have A GREAT LIFE and a good job.
? ?
Moving to Wyoming is a decision I grow more grateful for all the time. Gotta love it I know WE DO

--- Quote ---RazorCityRifleman - what can I say.? He's opened our eyes on many topics.? The personal shooting instruction has been phenomenal.
--- End quote ---

Yes RazorCityRifelman is indeed a great man. He too has opened my eyes in many many areas.

Lori

PatriotAR15:
For me, more than a few reasons. In no particular order...

1. I've been looking to move the heck out of the People'z Republik of Neu Jerzei, just didn't know which state. I.E. Reason #1, ESCAPE FROM NJ!
2. Maximum Liberty! Almost no gun laws!
3. No Income Tax
4. High Job prospects
5. Low cost of living
6. Friends who were willing to help me settle in (thanks to Shawn and Brandy, Havoc, RichardF)
7. Molon Labe gave me the final inspiration and jolt of courage to finally get up and DO IT. (thanks Boston!)
8. High Density of like minded individuals
9. Great place to live!

Prairie Fire:
I've been here for all but about three of the last thirty years. 

In no particular order, here are some of the things that makes Wyoming good for me:
1)  Relatively sparse population.  People who don't live at close quarters with one another tend to treat others with a bit more respect than those who live in crowded societies.

2)  Lots of public land, not the most of any state but it's fairly evenly scattered throughout the State.  It's easy to get away and shoot/train/recreate in relative privacy.

3)  A harsh winter climate.  While I don't really like cold weather, it has to be admitted that it helps to keep some people from staying here.

4)  A state government that "tends" to be less of a welfare-oriented state than others.  Details are arguable, but bottom line is that Wyoming has a hundred-year history of exporting its unemployment problem as boom and bust cycles occur.

5)  Harsh climate again, it helps reduce the bug population:  fleas, ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes.

6)  There's more people here than in most places who still feel that they are responsible for what happens in their lives, and don't expect somebody else to fix their problems:  whether those problems are caused by bad luck or fate or karma's wheel smacking them upside the head.  That sense of personal responsibility is going away in Wyoming as time goes on, but things here are still better than any other place I can think of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version