Author Topic: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!  (Read 89401 times)

Offline JeffM

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:40 AM »
Thanks for writing that Seniortech, lots of good things to ponder.

Offline Liberty99

• Reader
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »
 :) I know ya'll probably moved primarily for more personal liberty, and I respect that.  However, I wanna know what the liberty movement is like up there.  Is there a vibrant movement towards more freedom with lots of activism?  Or do FSWers mostly keep to themselves in terms of politics and vote every now and then? ??? I'm just curious.  I know the liberty movement in Wyoming probably is nowhere near as active as in NH, but I wanna know the specifics (if possible) so I know where to move if I need a lot more freedom and feel threatened by statists any time soon.

Offline Liberty99

• Reader
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
As you can imagine, I'm very interested in politics and the issues and plan on becoming at least quasi-active sometime in the near future. ;)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
:) I know ya'll probably moved primarily for more personal liberty, and I respect that.  However, I wanna know what the liberty movement is like up there.  Is there a vibrant movement towards more freedom with lots of activism?  Or do FSWers mostly keep to themselves in terms of politics and vote every now and then? ??? I'm just curious.  I know the liberty movement in Wyoming probably is nowhere near as active as in NH, but I wanna know the specifics (if possible) so I know where to move if I need a lot more freedom and feel threatened by statists any time soon.

Some do and some don't. It's a personal thing. Unlike the FSP, there is NO official FSW political activity. Members may be as politically active as they wish, of course, but they can't use the FSW name in the process. There are other active groups here, such as the Sons of Liberty, and WSSA for gun rights, but it is much more subtle than some other places.

The folks in Wyoming pretty much like things the way they are (whether that's good or bad is up to your perspective, of course) and are not going to be too eager to accept people from elsewhere who come and tell them they need to throw out this or that and do things differently - whether that would actually be a good thing to do or not. Most small communities have an instinctive suspicion of those from outside who come in with grand ideas for their lives, regardless of the newcomer's motives or intentions. Just the way it is.

So, even those who are politically active here go slowly and don't make big waves.

Good luck. :) Just go slow and get to know people first.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline marciab

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »
Well said MamaLiberty. 

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
SeniorTech, you said it! You described what we are going through right now.
We are yearning for those big, wide open spaces that make my heart sing. We want more liberty, more freedom & some good freedom loving new friends and neighbors.
But we are definitely in a southern state & have lived nowhere but down here. Our kids & grandkids are here, our parents are buried close by, our families are within a 100 miles or so. (and they all think we're crazy as bed bugs for even thinking about moving at this stage in our lives) We're not quite at the retirement age but it ain't far off. Funny thing is, we found a job with a conveyor company in Gillette that sounds very enticing just tonight.
Thank you so much for that great epistle! The scene with your little grandson made me cry. And I know that scene will be played out for us before too much longer.

Offline SteveM

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:20 PM »
SeniorTech, just now saw your "epistle".  Thank you for taking the time to write it.  Like you I'm approaching retirement age and we are pondering where we will retire.  My wife is dealing with major health issues or we would have already been out to Wyoming several times to look it over.  Your description of your move and the FSW folks there is very helpful.
Fearlessness is better than a faint-heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.
For Scirnis

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
Steve & Sunny, Thanks for your nice comments.   It has been three years since we moved to Wyoming and we are very glad we made the move. We love it here, no regrets at all.  Well, there is one regret and that is that we didn’t do it twenty years ago.

Sunny, I truly understand your feelings.  My kids and grand kids are back there too, and they also thought I was crazy, although they hesitated to put it in those words.  My parents are buried back there under the live oaks too, but the operative word is “buried.”  Incidentally, they moved to that place from somewhere else many years ago, and their parents are buried in that far off somewhere else place.  Since we met you and Jeff on your visit we think y’all are the kind of folks who can make it happen, and the kind of folks we would like for friends and neighbors.

There are bound to be a few problems with such a move.  For instance, Arkansas claimed that we were still residents for an extra year and tried to make us pay taxes.  We won that round but not without some hassle.    We were used to much lower real estate prices back there.  Prices are higher here, but we managed to live with that too.   Where we came from 20 degrees was severe cold and we were uncertain about the weather here and its effect on us.   We have made it just fine, even during the times of sub-zero cold, and the climate in Wyoming actually suits us better than "back yonder."  It’s probably not necessary to even mention the change in demographics, and the attitudes of the local folks, but it is  wonderful.

I could go on and on with stuff like that but the bottom line is we’re glad we’re here, hallelujah!

If anybody wanted my advice it would be that there is never going to be an ideal time and circumstance; it’s just life its own self and you work it out every day, as you go.  Just like anything else, you set your goal, plan your course, do what you have to do, make it work some way.  I wish you both well in your efforts.

John
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline Trenks

• Reader
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
Ok so I'm moving to WY because of a job. But I have been looking for a job in WY, in a big part because of the FSW project and I love the idea of getting together with other liberty loving people. Ill admit that I wouldn't have moved here just for the FSW; I wouldn't have moved here if I didn't have a job lined up. I learned my lesson moving to NH for the free state project. Although I did have a job lined up in NH before I moved, it was only an interview and although I did get the job, there was great uncertainty about the hours and income.

After I got the job in Casper, I started realizing why Wyoming was voted #2 when the FSP voted for the states. I believe WY actually has a good amount more economic and personal freedom than NH. I think maybe NH was chosen for the port and border to Canada. So if you aren't looking for secession as the goal and you don't need a huge circle of friends, then WY maybe a better place to be free.

WY is definitely a better place to be if you want to escape the state, live off the land and live with a great deal of privacy.

I love the natural beauty of WY and the attitude of many of the locals. There isn't floods of liberals coming in from Massachusettes.

I'm really excited about exploring the area and making new friends!

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2012, 02:09:03 AM »
Why I moved to Wyoming and Why I'm So Happy I Did:

I grew up in the midwest very close to Lake Erie and aside from hearing older members of my family chat about politics and politicians once in a while (about once every four years, close to the general election), we did not discuss politics at home. I've always known how I feel about particular issues and political figures, but I've not been open to discuss them with most people as those conversations generally lead to, well, nowhere. Double that for religious issues. I learn a lot by reading and listening to others' discuss politics, but I'm simply not interested in engaging in conversation on those two topics. I know how I feel and that's what matters to me.

For the last 11 years I traveled around the US and lived in a few different states, some of that time spent attending college... always sort of searching for two things: climate that suits me and the type of people I want to spend my time with. Most recently I lived in Colorado basking in the lack of humidity, almost year-round sunshine, and amazing opportunities to spend time outdoors in or near the mountains. However, I found that Colorado has way too many people and not enough fresh water.

I toyed with the idea of returning to my home state for only one reason: to be closer to a few very special family members and spend time with my nieces and nephew as they grow up. My home state is beautiful, to be sure, and I certainly have friends there I'd love to see more often. Thank goodness for letter-writing, email, and the occasional plane ride to keep in touch, but that particular state is not inhabited with (overall) the type of people I want to spend my time with (read: brainwashed politics and mind-numbing tunnel-vision choice of lifestyle). And, what "wide-open" spaces I enjoyed growing up are becoming more and more populated.

A few years ago my brother and sister-in-law let me know that they were researching the possibility of moving to a more rural, freedom-oriented and liberty-loving region of the US and I was overjoyed! I said, "I'll be more than willing to join you, as long as it's not too humid" (I'm easy to please, especially considering these are two very fine folks I'm speaking of). Imagine my excitement when I got a call earlier this year and they said "we've narrowed it down to Wyoming"! Well hot dang! Rural, freedom-oriented, liberty-loving, low humidity... honestly, what more could a girl ask for?

So, for me, my move to Wyoming is about (more) freedom, family, and meeting new like-minded friends and associates along the way. I had a chance to meet some pretty cool people at this years Jam and am looking forward to meeting more of you in person as time goes on. I was able to sign my SofI with ease, as I have always been and will always be a good neighbor. I like that this loosely-organized group is not a political organization and is, in fact, quite a diverse group of individuals.

Some of you reading this have been here a while, some are just checking out the website, and quite a few have been in the process of making the move for some time now. For the latter, I'll tell you it just happened to be really good timing for me to make the move and I'm quite accustomed to re-locating. I wish you the best in finding your way here as soon as you can. 

I've been here ten days now and am thrilled I made the move. I found a place to rent in a superb little community in North Central Wyoming, with an upclose and personal view of the BigHorns. We have a post office, a gas station, a few bar/restaurants, a volunteer fire department, a few small churches, a vintage store, a general store, a coffee shop, LOTS of deer, and a couple of stop signs- but not a one traffic light.

Some of my favorite things so far: my dog hasn't been on a leash once in the last 10 days, the blanket of stars every night- and I mean billions of them!, chickens and roosters next door, horses and/or cows on just about every property, the slower pace of life gereral, the Cowboy on my license plate (yup, I said that), watching the wild turkeys fly up to roost every night just before dusk, I've had three offers to go out shooting already, for the first time in my life I will receive a paycheck with no state income tax witheld, and MOST importantly: the friendly and welcoming attitude of everyone I've met so far. Check this out-  the day I moved here, miles before I even pulled into my new driveway for the first time people who'd never seen me or my truck before were giving me the ol' small town nod and wave as we passed on the street, and that's what I love. That's the America I want to live in.

Today I got a key to my place of employment on a silver keyring. The front has a Buffalo on it. The back says, "Wyoming- Where life's worth living."

I couldn't agree more.

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
A hearty Welcome to you AIM!  I look forward to many conversations and dinners with you in the future.

Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2012, 05:18:42 AM »
Welcome! And I'm so glad you made it. Awesome to find that special place! Hope you'll come to visit us sometimes. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
That's a great story. Really reveals some of the important attributes of small town living in Wyoming.

Welcome.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »

A story as charming as you are, AIM. I like the small and telling details of your America and
am sure the locals will welcome as many 'Atoms' as they can get.

Here' a song for the occasion dedicated to yourself and all the wonderful women on
this forum who've blazed their own 'Rugged Road' to the mountain states:

There's a Rugged Road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHE09lOjyU

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Vince

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
AIM,

A long life filled with joy for you and yours.

It couldn't happen to a better person!

Vince
Wear guns or wear chains!