Author Topic: Where is the Fruit Growing Area?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline freematt

• Reader
Where is the Fruit Growing Area?
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:12:35 AM »
Any place in WY where the climate is amenable to growing apples, apricots and or cherries? -- Matt

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Where is the Fruit Growing Area?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 08:24:05 AM »
There are varieties of each that will grow most places here. Whether or not they will do well enough for a commercial operation is beyond me, but I'm sure it's ok for home production.

I intend to grow apples and some apricots here in Weston county. There are no varieties of almonds recommended for my climate zone, a real disappointment, but I can grow plenty of other nut trees. We have about the mildest weather in Wyoming here.

I'd suggest you look at a book such as the Sunset Western Garden book, and the Wyoming agriculture website for more information.

Also, look at the threads here: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?board=15.0

Good luck!!! ML
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
Matt, I grew two kinds of apple in Rock Springs, in my back yard. This was a zone two area .  So I know if you pick the right varieties and live in a better zone, you will be OK. Windbreaks and building your soil up will also help. As I always say, look around for other gardeners in the area where you live and see what they are growing.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Potshot

• Rather Interested
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
The Big Horn Basin, especially around Worland, used to be referred to as the "Banana Belt of Wyoming".

Decent soil, long growing season and plenty of water.