Author Topic: hi y'all  (Read 8894 times)

RazorCityRifleman

Re: hi y'all
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 06:07:29 AM »
Howdy folks.

I've lived in WY for over 15 years and have been self-employed for 13 of those in good times and bad. I'm a residencial/light commercial general contractor and live in Campbell County. I have a fair amount of 'contacts' and may be of some help if your serious about relocating. If any of you need a hand let me know I'll see what I can do to help out. There are currently dozens of jobs available in Campbell county and surounding area in most any of the skilled trades. No better time to sink roots than now.

RCR

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 09:48:42 AM »
Hay Sgt. Slappy there are also a few electrical jobs posted at americas job bank. http://www.jobsearch.org/seeker/jobsearch/quick
I just select search all jobs in zip code and then select Wyoming .
Miles
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:50:16 AM by wyomiles »
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Sgt.Slappy

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 07:50:08 PM »
I appreciate the replies (hey, wasn't this neoncowboy's thread anyway? ;) ) I want to check out those other employers, or any others that come up, but one thing stands in my way... where the heck do I want to live in your great state?!? I can get a job, I'm sure... but can I get one in a place I'll actually be able to live?

I can't afford to buy a house there yet, something I would be able to swing (as I'm a bachelor) would maybe be along the lines of a (very) small piece of (rented or purchased?) land with a steel building (Something like this: http://www.usbuildingsdirect.com/index.html) which I would use as my workshop/dwelling or a small trailer with another small outbuilding (maybe a shipping container) for storage. I'm not going to "live out of my truck" through a winter there... no way! Besides, I am making this move permanent. A house or larger property will have to come later after I save my money, and probably get myself a wife (...and there goes the money :D ). Lining up a good job is my 1st step.

I'm looking to actually fly out there sometime soon. I'll rent a car and look around for a week. Talk to employers, look at property, etc. I have only been a renter in the past, so this will be a new experience, if anyone has any tips about getting a small homestead set up, I would appreciate the input on that as well.

I checked that job listing, wyomiles, and there is an opening in Casper, working for the Department of Energy as a journeyman, it sounds good. Is there anyone who can tell me more about Casper? Is it a good place to live? Windy, colder than the rest of the state, crime, etc. There is also a job up in Gillette working for Kennecott Energy (good pay), which I actually meet the requirements as well (other than having serviced mine equipment). Anyone know anything about them? Or Gillette?

Sorry for all the questions, folks, I want to get this moving along as soon as possible. I want to be a resident no later than September of this year!? ;)

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the landing grounds, we shall fight them in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight them in the hills; we shall never surrender. <br />-Winston Churchill-

Offline John Corry

• Social Type
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 07:54:38 PM »
Sgt. Slappy and I camped at an Appleseed Rifleman's Clinic at the RWVA home range in NC a few weeks ago...he's good people.

Y'all will do well to get him out there and start his 'debriefing' process after a lifetime in NJ/PA.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 08:25:29 PM »
Sgt. Slappy, welcome to our forum, and thanks for your posts.
The forum has a Welcome Wagon section, with subsections based on areas/cities.
E.g., we've locals in Casper, Gillette, etc.
Get in touch with those folks there (and in person) for more local info.
FSWers are a very helpful and generous lot, and you'll have a good
base of support for your Wyoming move.

See you out here this year!
Boston

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 08:46:26 PM »
there is an opening in Casper, working for the Department of Energy as a journeyman, it sounds good

Surely you can find a job other than working for government, can't you? This is after all the Free State Wyoming forum. We're not here to help people find government jobs. Hate to throw a wet blanket on you, but Geez...  :(
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Sgt.Slappy

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »
Perhaps I'm giving the wong impression here... I'm looking at the pay on that particular job. I would have no problem with any of the other jobs listed, they all seem to average about $18 hr. or so. For a 40 hour work-week ($720 a week - $2,880 a month), do you think I could live on a wage like that, and afford to rent (a lot, a trailer, a farm building, etc) and food? That is what I'm looking at. My intention is not to be a lackey for the state... guide my hand, don't slap it away...

I guess I should elaborate a little. I'm not coming out to Wyoming with the expectation that I can bend it to my will. I want to come out to Wyoming to add to it, make it stronger, and become a good neighbor - and one of the good people[/i] out there I've heard so much about. If you have any suggestions about where my time would be better spent looking for employment, I'm all ears. Who is a good person to work for? I've found asking is always more productive than "cold-calling".

Perhaps once I get things "more in order" ( the many years-worth of crap I'm getting rid of!) out this way, next month, instead of flying out there to look around, maybe I'll just drive out there in my truck with my hand tools and camping gear, work on a trial basis, and secure some type of place to live for when I bring the bulk of my gear out later. I've got a decent amount of gear that shouldn't be left behind... tools & equipment, reference manuals, supplies, etc. I need a place to stow it once I get out there. Would it be realistic to? hope to find someone willing to rent a trailer or building to me, that I could store goods and live in?
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the landing grounds, we shall fight them in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight them in the hills; we shall never surrender. <br />-Winston Churchill-

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 10:10:26 PM »
Sorry to be an old grump, Slappy. It's just that I've been in this free state thing for a few years, and I'm still amazed that some folks want to move to freedom, then work for government.  ::)  Don't understand that, period. Glad you're not talking about that.

Cold calling probably works fine around Gillette and a few other places, at least at the moment. If someone can't hire you, they'll know someone else who will.

I bet you could find someone to store your stuff, if you paid a nominal amount, and living arrangements are probably possible too (except it won't be easy around employment hot spots like Gillette, might have to commute a bit). There's a whole lot of that going on around the little town of Wapiti where we are ending up - folks know other folks, rent space or living arrangements quite easily and simply. And there is no shortage of space in Wyoming, ha ha. About the only thing I'd warn you about is rodent damage, but that goes on everywhere I guess. Actually storage probably is not as hard on gear there as where I live in western Oregon; if you store electronics out in a garage it is about ruined in a winter or two due to the humidity and corrosion. Not much of that in Wyoming.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »
How to find jobs?  Classifieds, classifieds, classifieds.  If someone is forking out bucks every week for an ad, they are serious about needing to hire someone.

Cold calling?  As in randomly calling businesses asking them to hire you?   Hmmm..., never done that one.  Seems like it'd be pretty time consuming.

Boy, if you're a single guy and can't live on $700/week, you may want to sit down and have a budgeting session!  Nah, it's not for me to judge, but I mean, that seems like a good wage to me.

Offline Sgt.Slappy

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 11:06:46 PM »
Hey! I have an idea! I'll see if I can time my journey properly to come on up your way for the FSW Jamboree in Worland! Heck, that would rule!. Long drive though... After the Jam, use that time to meet with employers! Hmmmmm..... this might work out! Me, my truck, and my Garand... 8)

Here's a question though. How is the FSW movement regarded by others (the normal people, not the libs) in WY? For example, if asked why I'm moving, by a prospective employer... would they run in the opposite direction if I mentioned FSW?

Offline Shawn

• FSW Rifleman
  • Right and easy seldom meet.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 01:15:45 AM »
Slappy, there's been some talk abt local paleo-cons distrusting libertarians.? I've only told my prospective employers that being originally from Colorado, I've always wanted to make a move north from NM. I decided keep it simple and honest, whilst sticking to a benign explanation for relocation.? Once acquainted with a like-minded individual you'll know when to start agreeing w/them ;)
Our heritage in a nutshell: "This country was founded by religious nuts with guns"  P. J. O'Rourke...Isn't it time?

RazorCityRifleman

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 05:27:56 AM »
Sgt Slappy,

I'm a General Contractor (eqipment, crew, licence, bond et' all)  in Campbell County (Gillette) so I can't speak with any no bullshit authority on the other counties, but in Campbell 'cold calling' will probably work just fine since any of the outfits that would make a good wage job are hiring. There are electritions needed in both the energy industry and comercial/residencial construction right now. Folks are getting ramped up for a good building season this year and the electritions I have working on my projects are busy, busy and all looking for help.

Call the employment resource center for the area you are intrested in and ask about electrition jobs, the folks will let you know what they have available or just get yourself a phone book and start down the list. Your best bet would be to just show up in the area you want to work and go chat these folks up in person.

Show up clean cut and dressed like your ready to go to work, look em' in the eye and tell them what you know, don't burdan them with a bunch of prersonal BS. Political doctrine is considered 'personal' in WY. Folks here hire folks to solve problems not to have them bring a bunch of personal drama to thier job site. 

RCR   

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »

Sgt. Slappy, timing your visit for the Jam make the best sense.
Personally, I wouldn't do it any other way.

Here's a question though. How is the FSW movement regarded by others (the normal people, not the libs) in WY? For example, if asked why I'm moving, by a prospective employer... would they run in the opposite direction if I mentioned FSW?

I see no point in mentioning to a prospective employer anything
about your politics, the FSW, gun ownership, etc.  Sell yourself
first, and then the rest later if need be.

The mind abhors a vacuum, and some people just cannot believe
that we have no secret or ulterior plans within the FSW, and thus
may want to "color in" that space with their own fears (i.e., that
we're some cult or pack of troublemakers). 

When there are more of us actually in Wyoming who have gained
the locals' trust and respect, then outting ourselves as FSWers will
be to our gain.  But not before that.  If new to Wyoming, you're an
unknown quantity.  Why add another one (the FSW) to the mix?

We must prove ourselves first. 
Then, the FSW will have nothing to prove at all.

Boston[/color]

Offline Nickle

• Rather Interested
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 11:55:46 AM »
Boston, thanks for the invite over here.

For record, I'm REAL interested, since Vermont is starting to turn slightly Liberal. I've got to wait at least 4 1/2 years, but that's because I want to take my Retirement from Uncle (.mil, not .gov) then, and it's a decent retirement package.

What's the prospects for a Gun Dealer/Smith and Ammo Manufacturer out there?

I saw another thread saying there's lots of FFL's in Wyoming. I specialize, so, I'm thinking it won't be too bad.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 02:07:08 PM »
Sgt. Slappy, you need to get your a-- here NOW!!! I'm a licensed wyoming master electrician and would be happy to help you get licensed. Ther'es work everywhere. Neoncowboy, my wife had the same attitude about the snow and the cold till she realized it was an ideal excuse to BUY a WHOLE NEW WARDROBE! She now loves to ski. You may want to look at Laramie, we live here and love it. b