Author Topic: Vehicles  (Read 2817 times)

Offline JoshW

• Reader
Vehicles
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:49:30 AM »
So the Mrs and I will need some new wheels when we make the move, My 84 GMC S-15 and her 200K Subaru probably wouldn't be a wise choice.

We were thinking about selling both cars and buying 1 good car for the trip and buy a beater for me when I make it out there.

My question is, What vehicles are best suited to the climate and openness of WY?  I was thinking Suburban/Excursion to have the best of 4wd Truck and Hauling ability, plus road-worthiness and range. What say yall?
I am the Rusted Fender of the American Dream.

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
Re: Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
I'm a bit partial to pickup trucks over SUV type vehicles. You can throw more stuff in the back without worrying about trashing the interior. Currently have a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD that has made the trip from Ohio to Wyoming about half a dozen times and has been used extensively off-road while deer/antelope hunting north of Gillette. It has the off-road package as well as (I think, was originally Dad's) the heavy duty towing package. The extended cab is great for hauling extra people. Can fit three guys back there without them having their knees in their chins. It will be making the trip out again for this year's Jam.

Joseph
Thanks,
The Management

Offline Paul W. Allen

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 04:12:32 PM »
Josh there are several things to consider in relation to your question. One how many kids do you have?
Will you be living in town or in the country? Will both of you be working? Are you going to own livestock? Do you need a vehicle capable of hauling a camper to the mountains on the weekends? It sounds like you have a pretty good mix right now and i assume that they are paid for. I convinced my wife for years that we needed a crewcab 3/4 ton and we bought a '03 GMC Sierra with the Duramax. Now with The price of diesle nearing 3.25 per gallon, it spends most of its days parked even though it averages 21MPG highway. We ormally take my wifes Montana or my old '88 Cutlas Ciera. One of the best trucks I had was an old Mazda B-4000 with a V-6, for all intents and purposes a Ford Ranger. It did everything I ever asked of it. A local highschool kid is still driving it and choring with it. I would suggest you consider what the future entails. My best advice would be to hitch the weakest link to a dolly behind the U-Haul and drive the other one on your way out. Wait until you get a good feel for your needs and then make your decision. Just an opinion, Paul.
True freedom is only found through self reliance.

Offline JoshW

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
Paul,

You pointed out a few things i was not thinking about. I think I'll scope out the rides at this year's jamboree. The crew cab PU seems best, it has the passenger capacity of a Tahoe/Suburban and the cargo ability of a good PU.

I think a decent PU along with a few total beaters would be the best combination.

Thanks!!!
I am the Rusted Fender of the American Dream.

Offline FSW Forum Administrator

• Administrator
    • Free State Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:23:28 PM »
Yep. Forgot to mention the PU I have is a crew cab. Plenty of room for myself, wife, three kids, and the dog. Dog goes in the back of course with the gear.  ;D
Thanks,
The Management

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 11:12:57 PM »
Just bought my vehicle today!
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswblogs/mac/
I had originally thought that I wanted just a "regular" cab, but two friends convinced me of the merit of having at least an "extended" cab to put groceries and such (winter emergency supplies) in the back of the cab. After all, there is no trunk on a truck! But I did get one with a 6' bed so that with the tail gate down I can still carry 4x8 sheet goods without it hanging over (much).

The last truck I owned was a '67 step side Ford back in 1974. It had wooden planks in the back, 3 speed stick + granny, manual choke, a 352 cu in. engine, and you could literally put your two feet on the ground while working inside the engine compartment! Times have changed.? ;D
And it didn't have ANY cup holders! ::)? ::)

Mac

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:34:58 AM »
JoshW, 
Countrymech's advice is , IMHO spot on.  He's there and according to his posts, for many years. 

My suggestion is to wait 'til you get there and determine what your needs are.  My observations are that if you are 'in town', what you have is adequate.  AWD or 4x4 is certainly a preference for winter travel.  Especially if your vehicles are paid for, drag'em out to WY to keep your total cost of making the move down and put the vehicle money into property.  Just a thought.  That's my strategy and should work ok, especially since I can wrench on them to keep them RELIABLE.

My experience on gravel roads in the midwest is that you need an all terrain tire, 4x4 and ground clearance to negotiate the ruts and after rain mud holes.  The same applies to the gravel roads I have traversed in Wy, MT, AZ, UT, ID, OR, and others west of the Mississippi.  Please note that mud is different in most areas out West and is not to be triffled with.  Experience it once and you will see.  Common sense applies.

However, the difference is I usually carry TWO spares AND the green gooey stuff, a patch kit and irons.  Around here, I am close to getting a flat fixed so one spare is adequate.  Out there, NO.  From my friends in MT, flats happen on a regular basis, especially if you live on a gravel road.   One friend says it is usually a screw or fence staple that does the deed, as they probably fall off of rancher's flat bed pickups...

More on tires.  Gravel roads anywhere chew them up and spit them out, especially street tires of the B rated variety.  If you decide on property that has considerable gravel road travel in and out of, tires will wear out a lot faster.  Find out what the locals use and consider that.  Gravel tends to round off the square edges of the tread blocks and generally beat them up.  Much travel on gravel roads and you will quickly understand the need for the larger mud/gravel 'flaps'.

Even with all of the 'disadvantages' of gravel roads, I would rather travel gravel roads than pay taxes to have them paved/chip n sealed AND pay to maintain the asphalt.   It also keeps a lot of tourist traffic out.  Big city folks are generally 'afraid' of gravel roads.

Our rural county paved/chip n sealed a bunch of old gravel roads over the last 10-20yrs and are now facing a $$ crunch to keep them up.  Now, they want to raise taxes to pay for it.  Stupid government listening to people whine about all the dust and gravel doing it's business on vehicles and houses (close to the road).  It's a fall out of the environuts forcing the elimination of oiling (used oil) the gravel once or twice a year to abate dust. >:(  Arrrrgggggggggh.
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 10:47:54 PM »
Thanks for all of that great advice, Bobcat!
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline Space Cowboy

• Social Type
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 08:19:42 AM »
Howdy,

The most common vehicle is a 4x4 350/3500 extended cab Diesel PU. Brand really doesn't matter. That is your work vehicle. For just getting around anything economical will do. If you are commuting at all, just get something cheap (BUT reliable). I bought some Wal Mart snow/mud tires fro my 2x4 PU and nothing has really stopped me yet. I had a 4x4 sub that was great and could get me in a few places the PU couldn't. My next purchase (and soon) will be for a Jeep wrangler or CJ 5. Somewhat economical, cheap and can get you anywhere. BTW, buy your car/pu in Wyoming. They don't have ANY of the emissions cra, um stuff, that other states have.

SC
You shall judge a man by his foes as well as his friends
~J. Conrad

Offline ricwoz

• Mover and Shaker
in praise of Toyota T-100
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »
I have had great luck with a Toyota T-100.   It gets 23 mpg on cruise control on the highway.  It a snappy performer and handle really nicely for a PU truck.   Mine has 100,000 miles and the only problem I've had has been a failed starter.
I don't tow anything much, it would probably be too light for that.  But I've dumped a ton of stuff in the back (my motorcycle, a few hundred pounds of camping stuff) and its done great.    It has done many hundreds of miles off road including seriously nasty washed out jeep trails, without any clearance or getting stuck issues.  (I have BFG All Terrains)

Mine's a stick.  I found the Toyota stick shift feel was far nicer than the domestics when I was shopping.  Of course that was 10 years ago.   I think most of the domestics no longer offer sticks in their 4WD pickups.  (And the Japanese are following suit).   That's odd to me.  I feel much more confident driving a stick in very rough terrrain.  The engine breaking alone is a huge benefit.   

Sadly the T-100 is history.  It's been replaced by the Tundra, but the Tundra is bigger, and comes with a V8.  Again that would be overkill (IMHO) for a truck driven as a daily transport not doing heavy hauling.    The older Tacoma (one of the original mini-truck names) is now closer in size the T-100 but is still not as roomy.

The newer Dodge midsize trucks look to be the same friendly size as the T-100, so I might look at them too.