Author Topic: leaving oregon  (Read 1604 times)

Offline colonialscript

leaving oregon
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »
my wife and i are going to move, thats decided. we do like desert, warmer weather. the problem is that those states are being overtaken by the libs. arizona is nice, but i am also looking to montana and wyoming. montanas state constitution is awesome compared to oregons. wyoming is also sweet. can anyone recomend a county in wyoming that is the warmest? i have some friends in worland, and another family i know is inbound.

colonial

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: leaving oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »
There is a lot of good information on this available, both on the forum here, and on the original website. http://www.freestatewyoming.org/

You might look at the weather statistics for both Weston County and the Thermopolis area. There may be others. Just use the search engine here at the forum and type in "weather."  It also makes a difference if you want to be near trees or mountains, or if you plan to garden. Use all those as search terms, or write to ask if you are not familiar with that process.

I live in Weston country, and we have very mild winters here. The summers are warm and dry, but not really too hot. Winter snow is usually mild and doesn't accumulate too much. The water is very good here too, which is a big plus.

Let me know if I can help. :) MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
In many ways, Oregon and Montana parallel each other. It's surprising when you think about it. The western parts of both states tend to be more left-liberal, more trees, more rain, and experiencing a population boom of sorts. Many Californians moving in, but they often move back out when the weather gets bad (unlike Oregon).

Wyoming tends to be more like just the eastern 2/3 of Oregon, if you want to compare. Folks more conservative (paleocons). Cooler in summer due to the altitude, which is nice. A bit more water I think, and more green (lots of irrigation). The prairie is like a rolling ocean of green, and has no real parallel in Oregon.

I don't know if it makes much sense to compare based on constitutions, since most legislators ignore them these days.  :(

Just about the largest immigration stream into Wyoming is Oregonians.

Welcome to our forum!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:07:58 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline AmbGun.com

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • The Meek Shall Inherit the Gulag.
    • The Ambidextral Gunfighter
Big Horn Basin
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:20:55 PM »
The banana belt in WY is the Big Horn Basin. Thermopolis, Worland, Greybull Basin, Shell, Ten Sleep.

More important we don't get the wind that the southern corridor gets..probably due to being surrounded by mountains.

Sheridan and Buffalo ain't bad eithe similar temps but more moisture. Hulett and NE is fine as well.

Pinedale and Dubois are great little mountain hamlets, too.

I love daily sunshine and the fact that water is pumped out of the ground and rarely falls on my head. Winters will be a bit more harsh that Oregon, but given low humidity easier to endure IMO. And nothing is quite as magical as crossing the Big Horns in the middle of a winter storm...simply spellbinding (just carry a kit in case you get stranded). Our old school, heavy, gas guzzling Bronco just powers thru anything making the delight all the more thrilling.
Author of
The Ambidextral Gunfighter
The Philosophy in Defense of Firearms

Offline Paul W. Allen

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:09:56 PM »
Dubois, Cody or Thermopolis would be my first choices. However, it depends on you job requirments Most of the best places to live in Wyo have a trade off. Just an opinion, Paul.
True freedom is only found through self reliance.