Author Topic: FM Radio station in WY - Who wants to run one?  (Read 36354 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: FM Radio station in WY - Who wants to run one?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
Putting together and running a whole radio station might be out of our reach, but a good friend made a suggestion I thought I'd pass on here - and will post in the gun board too.

We were talking about folks who own/buy a gun, but don't have/get any real training and therefore don't understand the legal and practical problems with the use of deadly force, carrying a gun, and other topics. He suggested:

...you and perhaps Ken (Boston) talk to KASL-AM and KYDT-FM (in Sundance) about a weekly call-in show for an hour or so on guns, especially self-defense?  It might be necessary to get your own sponsors: folks like Black Hills Ammo in Sturgis, Jack at  First Gunshop in Rapid, and others - but that would be a real outreach project, and might take as little as four or five hours a week.

There are certainly plenty of well trained, knowledgeable people available to make this happen. It would be an excellent outreach effort for FSW and contribute a lot to the ongoing efforts to promote and protect the right to keep and bear arms.

I'd be happy to help. Anyone want to organize this? 
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 11:31:17 AM »
Great idea ML.  As this could easily develop into something more expansive as success accumulates.

If I were in WY, I would certainly consider participating.  I have Zero radio experience and NO interest in publicity, but I can learn and can use an alias on the air as easily as the next guy.

Another reason to get my duff out there ASAP...

Working on it...
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline P'ahin Nunihan

• FSW Associate
  • Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 04:22:08 PM »
Very good idea for a radio program ML - I'll help.
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around - Talking Heads

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 05:56:01 PM »
As something of an afterthought to ML's post.

Basic Structure of an hour could be something like:
1)General News as it relates to firearms: 
 a) National
 b) State
 c) Local (includes upcoming matches)
{one of these could include an issue that segways into #2}
2) Something of a monologue on xyz subject.  Even if it is something read from someone else's work (with permission and credit of course) and editorial comments to follow.
3) Call-ins on #2 (could be pretty sparse in a low population county)
4) The Show: A knowledgeable guest or representative from an industry of interest (i.e. Freedom Arms)
     Format would be flexible as in a casual, but directed discussion with call-in questions to the 'expert'.
5) Wrap up and teaser to next week's show.  Includes a challenge to get involved and a reminder to be safe.

Firearms could encompass a considerable # of sub categories

1) Legal aspects
2) Personal responsibility
3) Pistol training
4) Rifle training
5) Muzzleloaders
5b) Shotguns (can't believe I forgot that one) :P
6) Archery
7) Hunting with Pistol, Rifle, Muzzleloader, Shotgun, Archery
8) The mental game of shooting
9) Different courses of fire for practice
10) The Constitution and BOR
11) Wy firearms laws
12) SD firearms laws
13) MT firearms laws
14, 15, 16) WY, MT, SD firearms activism WRT legislation
16) Cowboy Action (in the Cowboy State of course!)
17) Proper cleaning technique, chemicals and lubricants
18) Scopes
19) Iron sights
20+) Historical shows WRT a specific era from the inception of smooth bore to rifling to today
21) Call in guests from XYZ manufacturers
22) NOT Jim Zumbo  :-[
23) Boston as 'eggspurt' guest discussing a variety of previously noted subjects (casual, off the cuff discussions)  (I'm sure he would help?, but we should keep the visits strategic and well spaced)
24) Target range etiquette/safety
25) Target range 'target games' (playing cards, dice, aspirins, bowling pins, spinners, pop ups, etc.
26) Firearms organizations (NRA, GOA, 2A Foundation, JPFO, 2nd Sisters, WRSA, RWVA)

That was COMPLETELY off the cuff, so I know there are things I've missed.  I believe we have the makin's of a show here?????  I know you all could come up with more/better ideas?  Yes, you CAN.

Geezopetes, wish I were there...  With the wizardry of the internet, maybe I can help from here?  Not sure how, but I'm willing to give it a whirl. 

(note to self-I must be nutzzz :o)

Amagi, you started this mess ( :D) what's your take?
Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
Great ideas, folks... Someone's got to take the point to make it happen, however.

If we are going to approach a station in Sundance, perhaps a Crook county person would be the best one to start with???

I've done quite a bit of public speaking and have some radio experience. I'm also a known "character" in these parts (for good or ill, of course). I'd be happy to do some of the announcing.

Anyone else "in?"
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »
Yup, it's realistically going to take a local to take point on this.

Lots of face to face meetings with the radio station and local presence will be required to make this effective, much less work.
Bobcat  

Offline P'ahin Nunihan

• FSW Associate
  • Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 01:33:47 PM »
From my current location in the quadrant I suspect I can help mostly financially and perhaps with audio/recording equipment & engineering - I have pretty extensive sound engineering and recording experience.

Great ideas, folks... Someone's got to take the point to make it happen, however.

If we are going to approach a station in Sundance, perhaps a Crook county person would be the best one to start with???

I've done quite a bit of public speaking and have some radio experience. I'm also a known "character" in these parts (for good or ill, of course). I'd be happy to do some of the announcing.

Anyone else "in?"
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around - Talking Heads

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
  • I am not a part of your empire.
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
Dear Friends,

As with the "start our own newspaper" idea, I also like this one.

As for locations, I think that an idea like this one could work in several markets, so there is no reason not to consider more than one station.  Jen's idea of a HiSovs radio station is very interesting, especially when one considers that the trailer we are using in Newcastle is on a high bluff - so reception in Newcastle and on the highways into it should be good if one were to broadcast from there.

There are perhaps two major paths to follow.  One would be a "listener" and donor supported radio station (or network of stations).  The other approach would be a commercial radio station selling advertising.  It is, of course, possible to have a bit of both.

Either way, I think the first serious step should be to develop a business plan for the radio station.  Lots of money to raise in investor capital or in donations whichever path is taken.

Regards,

Jim
 http://hisovs.org/
My long posts make some think I'm a key figure in FSW.  I'm not. I'm not an officer nor a leader.  I'm just this guy.  I think FSW is a great idea, & defend & promote it as I'm able.   Assuming that anyone agrees w/me is mistaken. Your bad results from your poor assumptions are your responsibility.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »
"Our" own radio station is a great idea.
I wish it every success!

Whoever thought of me as a possible radio show host honors me,
but I won't have the time for at least a year.  Ad hoc contributions
are one thing, but a regular gig is another.  In case people haven't yet
noticed, I'm trying to do less as Boston and more as just plain me.

I'd be happy to pop in from time to time on the radio, sort of as I currently
give interviews.   A once/month show sounds doable. 

Besides, think of the pent-up demand!
 ;D

Boston

Offline SilenceDoGood

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 07:34:21 PM »
The only talk radio I've been able to find around here is the Lars Larson show on 101FM. He's got a great range of topics, but he's very Bill O'Reilly style with his "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude. People should have a better choice.
"Women cannot complain about men anymore until they start getting better taste in them." ~Bill Maher

Offline JenS

• Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 08:36:11 PM »
less as Boston and more as just plain me.
Boston

So...should we not address you as Boston then? Are you trying to take more time for yourself and less for FSW? I am not sure what all you mean by that.
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 08:47:58 PM »
Please continue to call me Boston, but more in the
capacity of "Howz yer beer?" or "Wanna go to the lake?"

Are you trying to take more time for yourself and less for FSW?
Yes, and that includes less time for Javelin Press and BTP stuff.
Many FSWers have more of a Wyoming life than I do, and now it's my turn...

Boston
[/color]

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 12:23:06 PM »
Go for it, Boston.

I believe we have a little inertia built up here. ;)
Bobcat  

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »
The only talk radio I've been able to find around here is the Lars Larson show on 101FM.

Really? Did he move from Portland? Or is it some syndication thing?

Lars has for years, decades maybe, made a living of roasting Portland and Salem liberals.

I'm amazed if the only talk radio available is some Portland program.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 05:50:35 PM »
Maybe a realistic approach to getting this rolling is to come up with some one hour 'shows'?  Or even half hour to start.

If you have a series of pilot programs or at least formated samples and a few sponsors, then approaching a local radio station would be quite feasible, I would think?  If getting some pilots recorded are out of the question, then some sharp outlines presented by level headed enthusiastic folks might get it done.

First do a little brainstorming on possible formats.  Similar to what I alluded to in an earlier post.

Then pick some subjects.  There will be no shortage of subjects so picking the right ones or combinations thereof will be the best shot.  Those subjects need to be able to 'reach' a wide swath of the firearms/hunter community.  As well the freedom/liberty community.  Early on, keep the freedom segment brief, but packed with facts and value.  Minimize the editorials?  Dunno, just trying to keep it from getting labeled as wackos early on.  Maybe that's unavoidable anyway.  Maybe that would be beneficial in terms of sheer publicity?

One thing we will need is an affable, enthusiastic, passionate, mature individual to man the microphone.

This can be done!

Bobcat