Author Topic: Can anyone help this dog?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline amagi

• Casual Observer
Can anyone help this dog?
« on: August 25, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »
We will be coming out to WY on Sept 15  We can bring the dog that far if anyone there is interested.  Here is a description from someone who knows him well.

"He started out life as a working ranch dog, where he was superb at moving the horses to the proper pasture areas and ran freely over a large area. So, he is largish (80 lbs?), strong, and has boundless energy. A blue heeler? I think his sister is being placed for adoption by the border collie rescue. I suspect that Sam wasn't placeable because many of his teeth were kicked out by a horse. He is deeply devoted to his mistress and would probably readily transfer his loyalty with proper love and training. But he can be excitable and I wouldn't trust him with pets, although he got along beautifully with Shadow. He's clever and a jumper, so he is difficult to contain and willing to explore for miles if he gets out. But he'd make a great guard dog who would love to snuggle up. He's been confined in too small a place for too long, and I think that's causing his rowdy behavior and that he would settle down with greater physical freedom. Even better if he had real work to do. He's fairly young, several years old, but early in his prime. He's short-haired, a mottled brown and white pallet, with big feet. We can't have him at the Courts because we can't stop him from chewing on the brown dogs (Buddy practically demanded it with his aggressive territoriality, but Ginger always did her best to escape.) and he needs more physical activity than we can provide. He's brave, loyal and loving and certainly deserves a good home."

I can add that I wouldn't trust him with a child who didn't at least out weight him.  Shots? Neutered?  No idea.  I suspect not.  I can also add that "closely confined" is an understatement.  Two large dogs and a large woman in a small bedroom 80 - 90 % of the time.  A narrow, filthy run on the side of the house the other 10 - 20 %.  I would call him neglected.  I am happy she is finally giving him (them) up.
I would interpret "chewing on the brown dogs" as actively trying to kill them.  I was there.  It took big sticks to separate them.
 I can answer general questions here.  Please PM me with travel specifics.

He will most likely be put to sleep if a home cannot be found.  The humane society shelter here is crowded.  They will keep him for three weeks if he goes there.  I am not saying this to apply pressure but to give an accurate picture.

Thanks.
Amagi

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Can anyone help this dog?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:54:03 PM »
Might help if you could post a picture. Might also help if someone could get him to a vet right away. He needs to be neutered and get a clean bill of health.

I've rescued many abused dogs over the years and know whoever takes him has their work cut out for them. Good luck!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline amagi

• Casual Observer
Re: Can anyone help this dog?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:44:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll pass it along but I think I have offered all I can at this point.  They don't yet know about the transportation offer.  If I find someone out there I'll probably end up with him here for a week or so.  Not good.  I might find a different temporary home for that long.  Sigh.