Author Topic: What do you think about the new FSW membership protocol?  (Read 7289 times)

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
Re: What do you think about the new FSW membership protocol?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »
I don't think it is written in "libertarian code" either. The language is quite clear to almost everyone (intentionally I'm sure), although it's possible a few might be confused about it.

I am not saying that I have any real problem with the SOI as written, and it is written to follow closely the common libertarian formula put forth in the LP membership oath.  However, most people unversed in libertarian philosophy would not equate "forsaking fraud" to "supporting the elimination of fiat money and the abolition of the Federal Reserve", "forsaking theft" to "forsaking involuntary taxation of any kind", and "forsaking aggression" to "forsaking the imprisonment of non-violent drug users".  So it is a perfectly good statement of intent, but Jim's Caplan Test idea has merit, though I expect I am in the minority and most FSW members would disagree with any sort of "litmus test" other than the SOI.

John, give us a link to this Caplan test. I'd like to look at it.
I live to serve! http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
  • I am not a part of your empire.
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
Well Jim, if you add any requirement such as "buy a book from Javelin Press" then FSW is going to be slammed again as just a branch of Boston's business

My intention was to offer a very long list any one of which would be a workable criterion.  I thought some of them were quite funny.

Actually, I think paying the $25 fee would also be a workable criterion, still.  So, it is one of the ways one could qualify.  (Presuming we identify somewhere to put the money that doesn't cause problems.)

but I feel that's my business.

I agree.  And, you are already in the club.  The issue Boston is asking us to sort is, I think, with whom do we all wish to associate?  I'm actually pretty agreeable to any one of the criteria mentioned, or any of various others yet to be discovered.

Any political requirement is a bad idea...

I really don't know.  I don't think it is bad as one potential criterion someone could meet.  And I note a lot of common ground between, say, the states where open carry is legal and the states where people are supporting Ron Paul financially.  I see similar commonality between the states which have taken some action against Real ID and states where open carry is legal.  Etc.

I do not know how you can suggest anything worthy to replace the $25.00, the SOFI is fine, but extra requirements will be someone's extra job to keep up with.

Well, that's just the thing.  I was suggesting any one of about fifteen different things.  And, as for keeping up, it is all stuff that I think can be automated.  The data is certainly available.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 08:59:44 AM by planetaryjim »
My long posts make some think I'm a key figure in FSW.  I'm not. I'm not an officer nor a leader.  I'm just this guy.  I think FSW is a great idea, & defend & promote it as I'm able.   Assuming that anyone agrees w/me is mistaken. Your bad results from your poor assumptions are your responsibility.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
Thanks for your recent input, y'all.

Interestingly, all but the latest online SofI have been
posted by folks we all know pretty well, so the online
protocol hasn't attracted disingenuous trolls.

jubal needs to post 7 more, and then he'll be upgraded.

________
Jim, I've long admired your demonstrable commitment to liberty and
its many orgs (including this one, and my books).  I'm flattered that
you'd think of JP books as being a prereq, but, yeah, JenS is correct
that it would seem to make the FSW too personally tied to me.

_________
I'm probably inclined to agree with MamaLiberty fine
synopsis of it all:

I suspect that all external "requirements" would prove cumbersome and counterproductive. The only real requirement, it would seem to me, should be living up to the statement of intent, both here on the forum and after joining the rest of us in Wyoming. Integrity - being a good neighbor.

Any fool, troll or agent provocateur can register for the forum, write the SOFI and provide proof of anything that might be named as a requirement, but that won't actually prove their intent or demonstrate their character. Only interaction and real life can accomplish that.

Let's keep it simple and require substance over display.
If we seem to get a rash of trolls flippantly posting SofIs,
then we adjust something then (assuming that some
peer pressure first is ineffective).

Regards,
Boston

Offline planetaryjim

• Needs To Get Out More
  • I am not a part of your empire.
    • The Indomitus Report
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 09:06:34 AM »
If we seem to get a rash of trolls

I've had that rash! I think they have a nitroimidazole cream for troll rash, now.  8)
My long posts make some think I'm a key figure in FSW.  I'm not. I'm not an officer nor a leader.  I'm just this guy.  I think FSW is a great idea, & defend & promote it as I'm able.   Assuming that anyone agrees w/me is mistaken. Your bad results from your poor assumptions are your responsibility.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Those trolls and ne'er do wells who post a SofI will most certainly expose them selves easily to those who are honestly here just by them merely posting.

"My goal in life is to be as good a person my dog already thinks I am".

Anony - Mouse
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »
I've had that rash! I think they have a nitroimidazole cream for troll rash, now.
True, but its frequent reapplication is bad for the skin...   :P

B