Author Topic: Just like to introduce myself  (Read 2582 times)

Offline AJ

• Reader
Just like to introduce myself
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
Hi,

I've been following the message boards for a few months now and just thought I'd finally introduce myself. 

I found the FSW because I'd been researching the "other" free state-ers, those in NH.  I read that WY had come in second place in the voting and just had a hard time believing so, given the other choices.  I mean, NH has a cool slogan and all but I guess I just have a hard time believing that the northeast really values freedom more than those in Wyoming for example.  Moving to NH really isn't in the cards for me, but Wyoming is much more of a possibility.

I've lived in Southern California my entire life and it's just getting too difficult to live here, especially for someone with a libertarian bent.  We're being squeezed between the ever growing numbers of those that insist on controlling everyone's life and those that want their lives controlled.  Granted, not everybody in the state thinks like that but whatever those in LA and SF want, they most often get.

I saw some of Wyoming a couple of years ago.  I took the "I-80 tour" from Cheyenne to Evanston and saw some very beautiful country.  The people I met along the way were also great.  Very friendly.  I hope to go back sometime next spring and see much more of the state.  Unfortunately, I can't move immediately as I have aging parents that I need to keep an eye on but it's something that I have given some serious thought.

Anyway, enough already.  "Hello" again and I look forward to engaging in some stimulating conversation with you fine folks. 

Ryan

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
Re: Just like to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:21:22 AM »
I took the "I-80 tour" from Cheyenne to Evanston and saw some very beautiful country.

Oh man, you are going to be blown away by the northern half of the state then! ;D

Welcome aboard Ryan, glad to have you with us. ~W~
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:13:31 AM »
The I-80 corridor is often considered ugly, but I'm with you, AJ: I like it.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:25:51 AM »
Howdy AJ glad to have you with us !
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:00:29 AM »
Welcome, Ryan!! Bring your parents with you when you visit NE Wyoming and there's a good chance you'll all be here soon. I'm an older lady who left her sons and family in Southern California to live free. It can be done at any age.

Plan on coming to the '08 Jam and meet a lot of the bunch. :)  MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Welcome Ryan. I'm a newbie too, but an expatriate working to get back home.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline AJ

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 10:44:42 AM »
Jered, John, Wyomiles, MamaLiberty and jubal,

Thank you all for your kind welcome messages. 

Yeah, I'm sure that I will be blown away by the northern part of the state, especially given what I've seen in pics.  However, when you come from the land of asphalt, concrete and metropolis I can really appreciate that which others may consider "ugly."   ;D  Besides, one of the best steaks I've ever had was in Rawlins.  Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but a very fond memory.  Mmmmm, good!

Yes, I'll definitely go to the jam next year.  Work prevented me from going this year.  BTW, are there pictures posted from this year?

Ryan

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 10:51:44 AM »
Besides, one of the best steaks I've ever had was in Rawlins.  Can't remember the name of the restaurant,

I'll bet it was not the Flying J.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"