Author Topic: Ready to move...conundrum about a job  (Read 3586 times)

Offline KentuckyRifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Ready to move...conundrum about a job
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »
Well, after nearly a year of much discussion with my wife, she is fully on board and we are both excited about moving to Wyoming. We have been working on liquidating assets here so that we can make a move as soon as I can find a job. I have spent MANY hours browsing the wyomingatwork.com and other job forums searching for a job so that we can make the move. I realize that there are jobs 'aplenty available in Woyming, but landing one of them from 1000 miles away is proving to be tough. Unfortunately, with finances and my current job being what they are, I cant really afford to fly out and spend a few weeks searching locally.

Most of the jobs that I have applied for have been tech support related, with some applications also sent for various other jobs. No dice yet, but I have had several tell me that they just cant afford to hire out-of-staters because they get too many that are just "testing the waters" or arent serious about moving. I dont have any doubts about my ability to land a job if I can get a FTF meeting with those doing the hiring, but getting that is tough right now.

Enough with the whining, I promise that I am coming to my point.

On a whim I did contact one of the City PD's who had posted an ad looking for new officers recently. This seems to be an area where being from out-of-state is not a problem, they seem eager to hire. Now I'll be honest, I never saw myself as a police officer. I never had a desire to write tickets as a way to sneakily raise taxes, and I dont like the privileged attitude of false authority that many cops have. At least it is that way here in Kentucky. Are the Wyoming departments different?

I am really wrestling with this issue because it would get me OUT to Wyoming. Furthermore, I am a big proponent of getting involved and making a difference., but I dont want to get TOO far into the system on something like that.

Anyways, that is what I am wrestling with right now. I know many of the folks on the board feel the same way I have always felt about the PD's, I would like any input that anyone would choose to share. It basically boils down to one questions. Does the opportunity to move to Wyoming, and the chance to make a difference from the "inside", offset the fact that I would be working for the government, even on a local level. I dont expect anyone to make this decision for me, but I would appreciate an ideas that would be offered up about this subject.

Note: I am not even considering the WHP, only a City PD or Sheriff's deputy. I would much prefer the deputy position. Here where I live the Sheriff's Department doesnt do much in the way of traffic stops, and seem more interested in being PEACE OFFICERS than LEO's. There is no doubt in my mind that any county, including those in Wyoming, need good Sheriff's whose goal is to uphold the law and not abuse the law. I would love to see myself doing that job someday, but the idea of working my way up the ladder and paying my dues by writing tckets just sickens me.

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Ready to move...conundrum about a job
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »
You're right on in noting the difference between a "peace officer" (like in Mayberry RFD) and a "law enforcement officer" like too many of our jack booted thugs in the larger cities across the country.

I've had minimal exchanges with law enforcement out here. I've met a couple of deputies while getting gas while OCing. No problem. Nice conversations. They have no issues with OC. I had a smash up on the interstate last month and had a contact with a HP officer. Nice guy. Wrote out an accident report, and was gone.

I've heard that several other FSWers have gotten jobs out here "in a matter of hours". I think there's a separate subject for jobs. Being retired, I haven't followed it.

Good luck. Perhaps others can be more helpful than I have been.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline gabby

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:51 AM »

As far as Cheyenne goes, the PD is usually hiring and the Sheriff's office is hiring too.  The only thing about the Sheriff's office is that you will start out in the jail as a detention deputy before being moved on to a patrol deputy.  Google the Laramie County Sheriff and Cheyenne Police Department.
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful, and bear considerable watching.

Offline KDus

• Reader
  • FreeMarket+
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
Figure out if you can live up to the Oath you will have to take. You may be asked to enforce law that violates that Oath.
Government fails.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
KentuckyRifle - what kind of work would you prefer - are you looking for?

Big Ugly
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline KentuckyRifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »
KentuckyRifle - what kind of work would you prefer - are you looking for?

Well, that is an interesting question. I just turned 23 years old. I met the girl I am married to when I was very young, and as soon as I got out of High School I went to work so that we could get married. I dont regret it at all, but as a result I didnt take the time to go to college. I have always been interested in computers, and I do have my A+ and Network+ Certifications, but I have never landed a job in that field because there are just not any in that field in the very small county where I live. Since I was 19 I have been  working for a log home company, and it is a GREAT job for this area. I have been doing Project Management, Dealer Recruiting, Dealer Sales Management, and some Direct Selling in this job. I have always been fortunate to be very blessed with success in sales, (log homes now and before that computer/electronics at Officemax and even Kirby vacuum cleaners before I got out of High School), but I dont really want a sales job.

At this point in my life I dont have any REALLY marketable skills. I have some HTML/CSS/Web Design experience, but not enough to land a job in that field right away. Ditto with computer/network support.

I wouldnt mind an outside job at all if I could find one that paid well enough and that I was qualified for. Quite frankly, I am wide open to everything from Computer Tech Support, to truck driving (dont have a Class A though), to retail sales.

I do check Wyomingatwork.com daily and also keep an eye on these boards for job postings. At this time, the only things I have to offer an employer are a strong work record, (my past and current employers will give me very strong recommendations.), a good work ethic, a sharp mind, diligence, communication skills. All good things I guess, but nothing definable on paper that makes me stand out as a candidate. Nobody's fault but my own, because I have had a great job since I was 19 and I never pictured myself moving until I got interested in FSW. At this point I could spend a few years studying PHP/ASP/SQL and acquire skills that could land me a job where I could work from home. The problem with that is that 1. A few years does seem like an eternity, and 2. I dont have a lot of confidence in those types of jobs staying available during a SEVERE economic downturn, which seems inevitable.

There is a community college about an hour from me that is going to offer welding classes this summer, and I do plan to take that class at nights if I havent come up with another solution by then. I havent yet studied enough to see what will be involved past that to get certified/licensed in order to get a job in that field.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »
There are log cabin home companies all over the western mountains (probably could stay clear of Jackson if you want) even into the Big Horn area...if you want to stay in the log cabin biz.

Scroogle: LOG HOME WYOMING (results 4 ya)

What else would any self-respecting PRK refugee want on their 35 acres of "ranch"?
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline KentuckyRifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:19:14 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. It is certainly worth considering, and I will do some research on those companies. I do however have a contract that prohibits me from working for other log home companies with a year of leaving my current employer. However, they may be willing to consider an exception if the company is perceived to be very little competition to ours.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 06:57:48 AM »
Howdy Kentucky rifle, Well if you can pass a piss test you will find work. There are lots of jobs and because you are young you have lots of time to get the training education you want . So get out here when you can, get work in a location you like and then work towards your dreams.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »
Sounds like you are a Jack-of-all-trades. Just the thing for Wyoming; everyone out here is like that. If you have a work ethic and are responsible, a job should be no problem here.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-- Robert Heinlein

Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 07:50:07 AM »
    There will be lots of work building homes out of beetle killed lodgepole. Get yer a$$ out here first and the rest will follow.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
B, What have ya heard as far as cutting all of that dead wood goes ? Are the feds talking about opening up more leases to cut it all out ? Anyone starting up sawmills ?
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline JenS

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • Awaken Decor & Gifts
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 08:48:40 PM »
KentuckyRifle, you'd probably like being a police officer just as much as being a salesman. Just my guess. With your work record I am sure you could find a job once you got to Wyoming. Seems most folks in WY don't take us seriously about a job unless we're actually out there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:51:00 PM by JenS »
Artist, Writer, Lady of Liberty, girlfriend to the most fabulous man

Offline cREbralFIX

• Social Type
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
You do have marketable skills, just at a lower level due to being short on experience.

You're certainly not at fault for anything.  I do suggest focusing your efforts into one or two areas in order to develop proficiency.

1) Sales: 

If you can sell, you will have work.  If you master this, then you will get paid well.  The next step beyond that is sales management, which can lead to forming sales organizations...which would put you on top as a business owner.  Go door to door and sell light bulbs on your off time...or go back to Kirby.  They have a good sales training program and you'll improve.

2) Construction

3) Basic computers:

The problem here is that you haven't had time to achieve "journeyman" status in a particular computer discipline.  There are hundreds of different jobs related to computers...and desktop support is only one (it's just very, very visible). 

There is no reason for you to NOT become proficient other than time.  Open Source software (with regards to computer SERVERS) is everywhere.  Companies are using Linux all over the place.  Guess what?  Most software is FREE.  You can learn to make mail, web, dns, and file servers using software that comes with free linux distributions that you download and burn off the 'net.  If you read a few books, you can start the process to becoming a system administrator.  If you get really serious, there are thousands of resources that will assist you in becoming a programmer.  The tools are free;  all you need is two computers with hard drives and network cables.  They can be cheap <$100 computers....Linux runs just fine on P3 800 MHz machines with 128 mb RAM and 10 gb drives.  If you like security, you can use the same software to learn how to read packets, build firewalls, and do monitoring.  The cost to you is time and a few books.

By the way, this is how I became a full time system administrator at a huge corporation.  Two to three hours a night, 4 nights a week...yeah, it'll take a couple of years, but at some point in the first year you'll exceed the skill level required to do tech support.  Once you're in, take advantage of company training opportunities.  Get them to pay for the RHCT and RHCE (Red Hat Certified Technician and Red Hat Certified Engineer) certifications.  If networking is fun for you, go with Cisco's CCNA program.  I always recommend NOC work...yeah, it's boring, but you'll learn a lot and get access to interesting gear.