Author Topic: hello new the forums  (Read 3705 times)

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
hello new the forums
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
hi i am new here. I have been lurking a few months, but havent posted yet. Been pretty busy with two jobs and projects around the house My wife has posted some in the womens forums as lovestbernards. For the record we're 24 & 23 , no kids.

We are seriously considering moving to wyoming, possibly late summer/early fall. We are hoping to attend the festival in june and check things out to see what we are getting into.
Most likely we would move to casper, possibly moving to a more rural area in the more distant future.

A few questions...

How has the job market been for those of you that have moved there ? What kind of wages can I expect for basic work ? I don't have a degree, nor do I have a high demand skill now, but I do have a excellent work record and am willing do most any kind of labor available.

Is $ 10/hour reasonable to find or is that asking too much ?

Housing. I can't afford to buy a house, so I will be stuck with renting of some form.
What should I expect to pay? I've been checking the online papers, but sometimes thats a lot available that doesn't make the papers.
Seems there is a lot of trailer parks in casper. Any used trailer dealers where one could buy a used mobile home and have it put on a lot ?

Whats the weather like ? Snowfall ? Winter temperatures ? I hear its harsh, but I have a strong suspicion its mild comparing to where we live now, in northern michigan. Usually we get 300 inches of snow a year and its here from mid november to mid april. I can live with it if need be, I have for most of my life, but it would be nice to get a little less, which I believe in the case with wyoming.

For those of you already there, it would be great if you could help me out a little bit.

And yes I understand how important it is to actually be there, hopefully in a month or two we'll come down for a few weeks. I'm been looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: hello new the forums
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
Dear 308,
Welcome to the forum.
I suggest that rather than trying to answer your specific questions that you take some time to read the existing threads about jobs, climate, housing, etc. There's tons of stuff here already posted just waiting to be read by folks like you.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
Welcome! Most of your questions have been answered many times here on the forum, and a little poking around should lead you to most of them. Put key words from your questions into the search engine and you'll come up with a lot of information.

Far as I know, the snow and cold is WORSE in the Casper area than up north here in the NE corner. I live in Newcastle, and though we've had a good wet winter, it has not been bad even for this old California transplant, so you folks from Michigan ought to be in seventh heaven here.

Lots and lots of jobs, most starting at well above $10. an hour. If you are breathing and can move both legs pretty well, you can find a job.

The news on rentals is not quite that rosy, however. Pretty much scarce as hen's teeth. Some government subsidized housing here in Newcastle (and I presume elsewhere), but I don't know that you'd qualify if you have a job - even if that appealed to you at all.

You can find trailers sometimes, but it's much harder to find a place to park one. For some goofy reason, all the trailer parks here demand only double wides come in now, and setting up on vacant land would cost you as much as a down payment on an established house most likely. It's a real dilemma for a lot of people. The high wages apply to all the folks who drill wells, establish septic systems, bring in electric, and so forth.

But, as we keep saying, you are more apt to find something suitable if you are actually here, so the trip out is the important thing in the long run. I'll help all I can. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the replies. I've spent a good chunk of a the afternoon reading old posts.
The job market sounds good, housing not so good. It worries me, but I was raised to overcome your fear and work for what you really want so I don't think it will stop us.

We are planning to come to WY for 2 weeks from june 14th to june 28th, take a couple days off for travel time and it leaves plenty of time to check things out.

We will be in casper mostly at a friends house, but we come up for the SFF and who knows what.

I do want to find out all I can before coming to visit, because I will probably have to quit my full time job just to be able to get the two weeks to visit. Currently I work full time and part time, the part time job I should be able to get time off, doubtful on the full.

As far as housing, I would greatly prefer to live in a trailer versus apartment. Really we'd take anything we could reasonably afford. have a dog, and would like very much to keep it so that complicates things.

HOpe to see you all soon at the SFF.

Offline PatriotAR15

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:20:52 AM »
Welcome aboard 308shooter, Great to see you here  :D
Happiness is a cold gun, and a warm beer... Also could use a cure for dyslexia. - Jack

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
Howdy 308shooter and welcome.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
Well sent in my money to attend to freedom freedom next month. We are looking forward to being there and meeting some of you.
 :)

vonu

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
Those who are worth $10 an hour will get it anywhere. I prefer to be worth $18 an hour myself.

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
Of course $18 is preferred. I'm hoping for 12-16 but the reason I asked about 10.00 is because I really don't want to end up working for $6 an hr.

Around here many people work most their lives for $ 6-8. Its a very economically depressed area.  It doesn't sound like WY is like that, but I like to do my research.

Offline Terrible Claw

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »
Is $ 10/hour reasonable to find or is that asking too much ?

Dude, I think the Taco Bell in Gillette is hiring at 10 bucks an hour. 
"It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a Bible-reading people." - Horace Greeley, 1852

vonu

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »
It sounds like Gillette may be looking like Jackson without the idle weathy elitists. Good riddance.
Does anybody know how tolerant the Gillette LE are toward those with alternative lifestyles, i.e. those who live in metal tents on wheels, like me?

Offline alexspartan

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
It sounds like Gillette may be looking like Jackson without the idle weathy elitists. Good riddance.
Does anybody know how tolerant the Gillette LE are toward those with alternative lifestyles, i.e. those who live in metal tents on wheels, like me?

That's actually something I've been wondering, but about cops, State troopers, and Sheriffs, in general.  Here in MN, cops are of the "respect mah authoritah" breed, usually (no surprise there, right?).  Anyone have any experience with WY troopers or police, or know any personally?  Maybe a new thread for that, so as not to deviate from this one?  I'll search through older threads, as well.
"Sometimes the cost of Liberty is $92 a box."

MultiCam - Turning Internet Warriors into total bad-asses since 2005.