Author Topic: I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"  (Read 11583 times)

Offline Fran

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
    • Freshwaterorganics
Re: I Believe I May Not Be a "Wyoming Person"
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
I believe that I may have a Freedom/Wyoming mindset. 
I've got some medical problems that may, in my mind, cause some problems.
I've got a blood clotting disorder (the stuff wants to clot too easily) that has cause several secondary medical problems.
For the most part, this is not an apparent problem, but I am somewhat bound to cities and medical facilities for the rest of my life.

This, in my opinion, would make me a crappy Wyoming-type.

The mind, heart, and soul believe in freedom... the meat (body) probably can't take it.

Opinions?
Suggestions?
Advice?

After reading this and your other comments, it seems that your attitude might be a bigger obstacle than your health.
Wyoming is not for everyone. It can be hard. There are things you learn to do without. The people won't fuss over you like they might in other places. It is really for more for folks who REALLY WANT TO BE HERE. Many come, but only a few stay. So if you REALLY WANT to be here, chances are excellent that you will find a way to be here and you will be happy to be here.
With earthbags, we can build dirt cheap homes that last forever
one bag at a time. Although Wyoming isn't just for dirtbags...

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
Depends on the town and the budget.

Yes, it is probably community-specific. Very likely, they all started out years ago as (true) volunteer organizations. Then, at least the ones in the bigger towns, or towns that had a lot of tax money, decided to tap into that. They "forgot" to remove the moniker "volunteer" for some reason, probably because it made them more admirable in community eyes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:40:32 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Herk

• Wolverine
  • FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
I just thought I'd add this: until quite recently I thought that due to a pretty severe heart condition that I was in bad physical condition.  I picked up a book to read on a long car trip that changed my perspective somewhat:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Excuses-Congenital-Champion-Wrestling/dp/0895260115

here's a little more that I wrote about it:

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=6625.0

Since finishing that book I have decided to train for and run a 5km (about 3.1 mile) race within the year.  Previously I had never run farther than 1.5 miles. 

Like the title of the book says:  "No Excuses"!  Not for me anymore.  Henceforth, I'm only as disabled as I decide to be.

-Herk
Shiny; let's be bad guys.

III