Author Topic: Planning a road trip, need some advice... (and my first post)  (Read 2831 times)

Offline PatriotMedic

• Reader
  • Molon Labe
Since this is my first post I should start out by giving some background...
I was born and raised in Florida, my wife moved to Florida when she was 2.  We've been in NW Indiana (moved here to work in chicago so my wife could stay at home and raise our children, now 4 and 2) for 6 years now.  Definitely a weather change, lol.

For those not familiar with this area, I've followed weather trends for Idaho and western Montana and the extremes here are worse from everything I can tell.  90+ in the summer (some days hitting 95) and winter nights have been as low as -18 (not including wind chill).  The summer here is awful, coming from S. Florida I think you can appreciate that I know about heat and humidity.  90 here is like 97 or 98 in S. Florida, air stagnates, it's awful.  Needless to say I really dislike it here and having to go into chicago to work.  Luckily Indiana is a relatively free state so it's a treat coming home and out of the 'armpit of the midwest'.

I live in Pittsburg, PA for a year and that was much more tolerable.  I've heard some parts of Wyoming can be difficult with weather, I'd prefer milder areas.

Anyway up until reading Molon Labe (actually only on page 250ish, it's hard to keep from reading when not at work), I hadn't considered Wyoming.  I was looking at Idaho or w. Montana.  So...

I'm planning a family road trip.  I want to make the rounds of Wyoming, western Montana and Idaho.  My wife and I have been all over the east cost, but never west of ILLinios so we plan on trying to make it out to the west coast to see the Pacific ocean.  I'm going to allot 2 weeks for my trip plus a weekend on either side so about 16 days total.  If need be I might be able to squeeze another few days of vacation, this is a big undertaking to do it all in 2 weeks IMO.

Looks like it's 14 hours to Chyenne (from NW Indiana) and then another 8 to Yellow stone strait across.  A likely trip will take us into Chyenne, snake up to NE Wyoming then over to yellow stone, into oregon or washington to see the pacific, maybe hit seattle and then go into Idaho and Montana.

Oregon/Washington will be roughly a 2 day event, basically whirl wind sight seeing if you will.  I want to spend time actually being 'on the ground' in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana and the bulk of our time there. 

Where do I NEED to go and what do I NEED to see... both for a vacation and scouting a future home state?

FWIW I work in a large hospital doing a very specific job that I'll likely not find in these states, if I do, it'll probably pay worse than Florida because of very small load of work.  I want to move rural and in that light I got my EMT-B taking night classes last year and I'm planning on taking Paramedic next (I've already NFPA FF1 certs) so I can move basically anywhere and have work.  Opening a gun shop is another goal my wife and I both have.  Working nights as a medic or 24 on 48 off will allow me to be in the shop with my wife several days a week and cut down on hiring extra employees until we are well established.  Thats getting ahead of ourselves right now though.

Mostly staying in motels, probably a couple of nights camping thrown in.  Time frame would be September.

So, what are your thoughts?  Also what are the rules for carrying firearms into Yellow Stone?  Does the National Parks CC law apply, meaning we can CC? I need to check if my IN license to carry is good in Wyoming (I know it is in ID and MT) but worse case my wife and I can OC while in Wyoming if we can't CC.  I enjoy OC, but as a tourist I'd prefer to stay as 'low key' as possible. 

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Gotta get out of here ;)

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Planning a road trip, need some advice... (and my first post)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
    September is a superb time to visit the Park. The best scenery would be to continue up I- 25 to Buffalo and perhaps upI-90 to Sheridan then over to Shell and from there to Cody and the East entrance. You'll have a chance to ask about work along the way in Gillette, Sheridan, Cody or any place else you want to stop. I'm in Laramie. Welcome to FSW

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:42:57 PM »
I'd sure love to show you my sweet little town of Newcastle. We have some of the best climate in Wyoming, plenty of beautiful scenery, good water and so much more!  PM for directions to my log home on the hill. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:59:18 PM »
Here is another option:  Take 25 North through Wheatland, then 26 West to Guernsey.
From Guernsey, take 270 North to 18, then West to Lusk.
Take 85 North from Lusk to Newcastle, and meet some nice folks there.
Take 16 North-West through Osage and Upton, then 116 to Sundance.
While sightseeing, you may wish to drop by the hospital and chat about jobs.

Now for the scenic part :)
Take 14 from Sundance to Devil's Tower junction, then 24 to Hulett, and Aladdin.
Take 111 South from Aladdin to 90, and back to Sundance.
Or do it counter-clockwise if you like.

From Sundance, take 90 to Gillette, where you can check out jobs if you are interested, then continue on 90 to Buffalo.
Make a side trip to Sheridan if you like, then take 16 from Buffalo through the Bighorns and Ten Sleep to Worland.
From Worland, make a side trip to Thermopolis, then 120 through Meeteetse and on to Cody.
Then see Yellowstone.  It's great!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:54 AM »
There will be another freedom festival on Labor Day weekend up in the Newcastle area.  To you or anyone else planning a trip to Wyoming, I'd encourage you to plan your trip so you can come to that and meet some of us.  It should be great!

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
Well Howdy Patriotmedic, glad you found us. I have friends who are EMT's over in Southwest Wyoming so I know you can find work doing that. And it seems like there was a posting a while back about a gun shop for sale ? Maybe someone will find that post. Anyway come on out !
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Fran

• Freshwaterorganics
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:35 PM »
If you go to Thermopolis on the way west... then go north. Stop at Butch's Place about 10 miles out of town for one of the best cheeseburgers anywhere. Then continue north and visit me on your way to Cody. At Cody, you MUST go to the Cody Gun Museum.
PM me and I will tell you where I am. You are very welcome to stay here and also check out the earthbag home I am building. It is very cool.

Fran
With earthbags, we can build dirt cheap homes that last forever
one bag at a time. Although Wyoming isn't just for dirtbags...

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:47:41 AM »
Patriotmedic,
Welcome!
Regarding carrying in the parks, they're all the same. Used to be banned, but now I've heard from the GOA that some administrative order has overturned that. We're trying to make that permanent. Dunno what the details are.

I always OC out here (Crook County). Not a problem, except for some WalMarts!

Since you seem very interested in climate, check out this site.
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/Climsum.html

If you're looking for something scenic, then both the NW corner (Yellowstone) and the NE corner (Black Hills) of WY should fit the bill.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline PatriotMedic

• Reader
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
I appreciate all the invitations and when we have something hammered out I'll love to drop by and check out that log home (always wanted one personally ;) ) and the very curious earth bag house.

Going over route planning and everything else I do believe I'm going to eliminate the pacific ocean idea for the trip.  Just not feasible for time and cost constraints this time around... besides if I'm moving into the area, I can always do that trip after the move, lol.

Thanks for the advice thus far.  I'm really looking forward to a old fashioned road trip.... and seeing some mountains.
Gotta get out of here ;)

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 03:22:31 AM »
Here is another option:  Take 25 North through Wheatland, then 26 West to Guernsey.
From Guernsey, take 270 North to 18, then West to Lusk.
Take 85 North from Lusk to Newcastle, and meet some nice folks there.
Take 16 North-West through Osage and Upton, then 116 to Sundance.
While sightseeing, you may wish to drop by the hospital and chat about jobs.

Now for the scenic part :)
Take 14 from Sundance to Devil's Tower junction, then 24 to Hulett, and Aladdin.
Take 111 South from Aladdin to 90, and back to Sundance.
Or do it counter-clockwise if you like.

That's pretty much what I did last summer, and I recommend it, too.  It's close to Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, and Deadwood in SD if you're interested in that kind of thing. It's a beautiful area, and the land is just screaming out for some homesteading.  I met some nice FSW folks who made me feel like I'll be welcome when I finally get out there for good.  MamaLiberty is in Newcastle, and Jared and Beulahtrash up Sundance way.  I think manfromnevada is around there as well (Hulett, I think), but I didn't get to meet him.  It's one of my best road trip memories, and I have a lot of them.

Interesting anecdote about NW Indiana.  I'm from Chicago originally, and have driven to Detroit quite a bit, passing through your neck of the woods.  I'm in Arizona now, but just finished a road trip myself visiting family back there, and had the chance to do that drive again.  We coined a phrase "GaryIndiana", as in, "Who GaryIndiana'd?", or "that went over like a GaryIndiana in church." It pretty much sums up all you need to know about that area.
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/