Author Topic: Slowly in route from Kentucky  (Read 6491 times)

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
Re: Slowly in route from Kentucky
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:06:40 PM »

We just moved here recently from michigan. We made a good choice. Everything about WY is better except for the lack of trees.

Well, maybe that's why they call the Thunder Basin National Grassland that instead of the Thunder Basin National Forest....

But like ML says, there are some of those grean leafy things that aren't rocks- I forget what they're called, but they're not rocks- in Weston County, and quite a few in some spots over toward the SDAK state line.

This is the US 16 looking from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad overpass in Newcastle. As you can see, there's some of them green leafy thingies all over the place.

Trees? Could that be it? I thought trees what you put in your shoes when you've got your boots on....
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Why does everyone keep saying there are no trees here? I've got trees... lots of us have trees... and you can always plant more! No, there are not a million square miles of them in every direction like Alaska, but we do have them. Some areas have more than others. Don't move to the places that don't have them. Sheech.

Problem is most of the jobs are where there is a lack of trees.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »

How do you know that?

Those trees are quite near me. There are hundreds of jobs going unfilled here. YOUR particular choice might not be well represented, but it is inaccurate to say there are none because your first choice was not available here.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline peopleforget

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »
Why does everyone keep saying there are no trees here? I've got trees... lots of us have trees... and you can always plant more! No, there are not a million square miles of them in every direction like Alaska, but we do have them. Some areas have more than others. Don't move to the places that don't have them. Sheech.

*Laugh* I will plant a forest! I'm moving to Wyoming for Wyoming...even if there are 7 trees in the state! (I'm just kidding!)

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
*Laugh* I will plant a forest! I'm moving to Wyoming for Wyoming...even if there are 7 trees in the state! (I'm just kidding!)

Great!! If I'm close enough, I'll help you plant them. I've planted about 350 trees so far. They are small, but growing! :)

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »

How do you know that?

Those trees are quite near me. There are hundreds of jobs going unfilled here. YOUR particular choice might not be well represented, but it is inaccurate to say there are none because your first choice was not available here.

Good thing I am open to any of dozens of jobs if someone will hire me! *hint* *hint* Even if there was a lack of trees (which I know there is not **look at Google Earth, run an image search, etc.**) let's place a couple of items on the ol' scale of justice and truth. You know, the one that the blindfolded Lady of Justice used before she was replaced with a computer operated by the Lady of Bureaucracy and Political Whim, Inc. Anyways, let’s weigh greater personal freedom and REAL community against trees and other mere climatic conditions…….hmmmm…..looks like the scale says the former is greater than the latter. That’s why I’m moving! Besides, I love the cold, the wind, rugged terrain, hills/mountains, and isolation when desired. Parts of Wyoming seem to fit that bill. Around here, most trees are seen as mere dollar signs anymore…and you can’t hardly practice with your implements and tools of freedom insurance without someone complaining about the noise or ‘the danger.’ (Not that that has ever stopped me...that's when I break out the Mosin-Nagant at midnight..."how do ya like that, neighbors!?")

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »

Great!! If I'm close enough, I'll help you plant them. I've planted about 350 trees so far. They are small, but growing! :)

I'll take you up on that provided you accept the same help in return! What kinds of trees grow well where you're at? I have plenty of experience with trees here in KY...but the climate in Wyoming is...slightly different...

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »

I'll take you up on that provided you accept the same help in return! What kinds of trees grow well where you're at? I have plenty of experience with trees here in KY...but the climate in Wyoming is...slightly different...

Wonderful! I'd love to have you for a neighbor. The gun range is only about 1/2 mile away and we can shoot most anything, any time. Nobody to snoop or complain!

So far I've planted ponderosa pines, pinion pine, Rocky Mountain junipers, sumac, bur oak and siberian pea trees. All are available from the county ag service here cheap. I also have some golden current and bush cherries. The junipers are looking the best, but most of them are still alive. The deer, rabbits and drying wind are their greatest enemies. I need to seriously mulch everything this fall.

This fall I will also plant seeds for Osage Orange tree/shrubs. They turn out to be terrific windbreak trees that the deer simply can't eat! They have nasty thorns!

And I'm always glad of some help. I always get in over my head with my projects. LOL

Offline 308shooter

• Reader
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »

How do you know that?

Where did I say there were no jobs in NE Wyoming ? I said there was more jobs elsewhere.

It is fairly common knowledge that the areas with the most employment opportunities center around Gillette, Casper, and Rock Springs. All these areas are fairly barren.

Overall I am happy with life in WY. I wish there were more trees in the area I am at, but the benefits gaining in freedom and employment were well worth it.

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
We have problems with deer here as well. We took some chicken wire and stretched it over a frame made of bracing wire. It makes a shell (or tube) over the trees that prevents the deer from getting to them. We did that until the trees were big enough to fend for themselves and we have a 100% survival rate ever since! As for the rabbits, we kept a cat and dog around for them...they solved that problem! Our cat even tried to stalk one of the deer and managed to psych it out enough to move on!!! FYI Osage Orange is one of the best bow making woods if you're into that sort of thing...

Does spruce grow well there? I am a particular fan of the Norwegan spruce and the blue spruce.

If we move in, that gun range will never know what hit it!!! We share as well so there will be plenty to go around!

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

If we move in, that gun range will never know what hit it!!! We share as well so there will be plenty to go around!

There's a retired railroader out my way who can fill you in on activities of the handgun Bullseye and IHMSA
shooting around the Newcastle Area and the rest of the state and region. And if you need more than the 300 yards at the Newcastle range, I've got about 600 yards available out at my place, 'bout 8 miles south of town, though we probably better wait until my surveyor gets done out there. That old boy has been known to shoot bear and deer that try grazing on his TC laser transit.... 

You a reloader, by chance?

Weston County Sportsmen's Club, Divide Avenue, Newcastle, WY 82701.

Outdoor Pistol, Indoor Pistol, Outdoor Rifle, Indoor Rifle, Pistol Silhouette, Trap, Sporting Clays

Rifle Range - Up to 300 yards
12 Covered Bench Rests

Trap Range - 3 Stations

Sheltered Pistol Range - Will be available soon

Annual Gun Show

Cowboy Shoot - Buzzard Ridge Regulators - SASS Affiliated

For More Information Bob or Catherine Bradley 307 746-4769

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline peopleforget

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
There's a retired railroader out my way who can fill you in on activities of the handgun Bullseye and IHMSA
shooting around the Newcastle Area and the rest of the state and region. And if you need more than the 300 yards at the Newcastle range, I've got about 600 yards available out at my place, 'bout 8 miles south of town, though we probably better wait until my surveyor gets done out there. That old boy has been known to shoot bear and deer that try grazing on his TC laser transit.... 

You a reloader, by chance?

Weston County Sportsmen's Club, Divide Avenue, Newcastle, WY 82701.

Outdoor Pistol, Indoor Pistol, Outdoor Rifle, Indoor Rifle, Pistol Silhouette, Trap, Sporting Clays

Rifle Range - Up to 300 yards
12 Covered Bench Rests

Trap Range - 3 Stations

Sheltered Pistol Range - Will be available soon

Annual Gun Show

Cowboy Shoot - Buzzard Ridge Regulators - SASS Affiliated

For More Information Bob or Catherine Bradley 307 746-4769

Thank you for the information! When I move, I would like to meet the retired railroader. I am planning to move to somewhere in the Crook, Weston, or Campbell county area so I shouldn't be too far away. I am not a reloader at this time, but I am planning on learning the skill. I have been keeping most of my good brass so I should have some materials to start with. I'll probably start when I move. Right now we're saving up money for the move and another M14/FAL at an upcoming gun show...while attending college full time and working part time!

My dad and I have built a small range out on the farm...right now we're able to shoot out to about 100 yards or so. We have other places to go for longer ranges, but that is the 'official spot.' My dad was an expert marksman in the Navy back in the 70's. That man can shoot! I was fortunate to have such a good teacher while growing up. I shoot quite a bit of black powder as well...but that stuff is getting hard to find. Good thing the feds are regulating it so much...terrorists everywhere are perpetrating attacks with bomb vests filled with FFF black powder! Oh wait....they're not.