Author Topic: (Yet another) Wyoming Bound - Crook or Weston (Carbon maybe?) County  (Read 4963 times)

Offline VFTR55

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Newblood in Alta
Hey all. Relative newbie here. Currently living at the foot of the Appalachians in TN, will be moving to WY next summer or fall after a brief stint with the folks at Factor E Farm (http://openfarmtech.org).

After reading Boston's page on the FSW main site titled "Wyoming County Discussion & Analysis," I'll be starting my scouting trip by going through Crook and Weston Counties from 12/11 (Thurs) to 12/14 (Sun).

Anybody have some good pointers on sites to visit for a future freesteader looking to buy a couple dozen acres of land to start with, any nearby industry (mining, aerospace?...maybe I'll telecommute), good local hangouts, etc?

I'm getting goosebumps thinking about getting out there. Does it smell like freedom in them hills?  :)
"Finance has become the modern mode of warfare. It is cheaper to seize land by foreclosure rather than armed occupation, and to obtain rights to mineral wealth and public infrastructure by hooking governments and economies on debt than by invading them."   - Michael Hudson

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: (Yet another) Wyoming Bound - Crook or Weston (Carbon maybe?) County
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:02:47 AM »
The breeze is a bit cool these days, with snow on the ground, but the scent of freedom can't be masked here, even if it went to -90!! :)

There is still land available here in Weston county, but will get harder to find as time goes by and more folks move in. Get it while you can.

You are welcome to come by and visit me, and I'll show you all the things I've collected to help new immigrants to Wyoming. Others here will help you as much as they can too!

Hope to see you next month, if I understand your post. PM for details.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »
I like to use the wyodex site. Lots of land listings uder the real estate links.  http://www.wyodex.com/

There are all sorts of mines in Wyoming. Most are looking for help, so just find the places you would like to live and then check the local listings for work.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline VFTR55

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Newblood in Alta
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
So, I just need to quit deliberating and start looking. Sounds simple enough. Time for diggin, here I go!
"Finance has become the modern mode of warfare. It is cheaper to seize land by foreclosure rather than armed occupation, and to obtain rights to mineral wealth and public infrastructure by hooking governments and economies on debt than by invading them."   - Michael Hudson

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »
If you're ever up here in Crook, let me know. PM me.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:04 AM »
I'm new to this site, this is my first post, but I live in the Pedro Mountains of Carbon County.  Been there since 2002.  Land is still pretty reasonable in my "neighborhood".  It's an old ranch that was split up.  Got 40 acres of vacant land in '02 for 18.5K.  Check Realtor.com and I think you can still find some in the 26K range, but I haven't checked in a while, and it's creeping up...  The other folks around me are like-minded, for the most part, but there is one clown trying to start an HOA.  I don't give him much of a chance, though.  Oh, and there's the lone Democrat, the self-professed "Town Drunk", and he takes his title seriously, but we keep him around for entertainment purposes.  You have to drive 50 miles to vote, (in Hanna) so he can't do much damage.  The closest town is Alcova and has a general store with a gas station. It's about 20 miles away and has a population of 200.  If you don't have a four-wheel-drive, stay out because it will just aggravate the rest of us, and don't show up without a realtor because all the roads are private.  The cops can't even patrol it, kinda nice.  I see you've already been looking up this way, VFT, sorry I didn't find this site sooner, but maybe it'll help somebody else.  I hesitate to even post this, because we already have our token leftie, no more are welcome, but as long as they're members of this forum they should be alright. ;)
In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.
Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798, 1798

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:23 AM »
and don't show up without a realtor because all the roads are private.  The cops can't even patrol it, kinda nice. 

So... the "Posted - Keep out" signs went up as soon as the ink on the sales contract was dry. Well, you may just find that if the time comes that you need a fire-truck or ambulance.. you'll be SOL.

I've lived here all my life and will never understand the mentality of folks who are drawn to the "wide open spaces".. then proceed to hang barbed wire and butt-ugly "Keep Out" signage.

Just my opinion.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:05:41 AM »
Hank, that's for the same reason you wouldn't welcome out of state hunters to shoot at deer that were grazing among your cattle and horses. You don't know them, and they might shoot your stock.

Maintaining private property doesn't mean keeping everyone out. It means staying in control of who does come, and being able to exclude those who would harm you. In many states, if you don't have the land posted, you have little recourse if unwanted people trespass.

I have a "no trespassing" sign on my driveway. It hasn't stopped anyone from coming up and knocking on the door that I know of. I know my neighbors and they know me. Strangers who come with good intentions are welcome as well, with caution. Strangers with bad intentions will be met with a .45, no question and no fooling with a telephone until it's all over. If that sort see the sign and go away instead, we all win.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:40:38 AM »
For the record, I have posted no signs nor fenced my property, but the natives had signs up before I got there, and I don't have a problem with it.
In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.
Thomas Jefferson, fair copy of the drafts of the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798, 1798

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »
Howdy RantNationDotCom !  So is that on the Wytex Ranch ? There have been a few parcels for sale out there. There has been a lot of discussion over at the City-data forum about that area. Do you live there year round ? Glad to have you here.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
No, it's a development started in the 80's that kinda' didn't work out like they planned.  That is, unless it used to be called that, but I haven't ever heard the name Wytex.  There was supposed to be a store and some other stuff, but none of that ever happened.  It was subdivided by a company called Yellowstone Mortgage Co. and that's who sold my parcel to me.  It's on the Seminoe-Alcova Back Country By-Way (Kortes Dam Rd.) between the Miracle Mile and the turn-off for Pathfinder Lake.  I live there year-round with the exception of a couple of months in the winter when I visit family in friends in Missouri, where I'm originally from.  I'm there now.

There is a group of investors, supposedly from Texas and Florida who bought and consolidated some ranches last year, including the Miracle Mile Ranch.  Maybe that is the Wytex ranch you speak of.  Haven't heard of them selling anything off.

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:22 AM »
Another comment for HardwareHank -

Some residents of the Pedros have had trouble getting zone changes because the county wouldn't provide police, fire, and bus service for the kiddies, but the place was blanket re-zoned back in '04, I think it was.  They still don't provide any of that stuff though.  There was a lightning strike that started a fire a few years back and the fire department didn't show up for a day or so, but we took care of it ourselves.  Not me personally, I was out of town at the time, but my neighbors.  We take care of each other, and I don't have a problem with that either.  I moved to the country to get away from a government that protects me to death, and sometimes you take the good with the bad.  Keep fire extinguishers around and drive your kid to school.  You can get LifeFlight insurance for a helicopter ride to Casper if you need an ambulance.  We don't have any trouble with trespassers until hunting season.  I realize I'm the new guy here, but I gotta ask, if you don't believe in property rights, just what are you doing on this site?  Trespassers are the only folks I've ever heard of to have a problem with posted property, but like I said before, mine isn't posted and I've never pulled a gun on anyone who drove up to my place, lost or otherwise.  Do you live in Jackson?  I'm just sayin'.
John

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
OK, It is this area right?

http://www.actionc21.com/recreational/20072866.html

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 02:00:58 AM »
That place is one parcel away from mine.  A look to the left of the view in that picture and you would be looking at my neighbor's place, where he has a mobile home.  I can tell you lots about it if you're interested.  Are the Pedros called the Wytex Ranch?  Never heard of it...

Offline RantNationDotCom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • RantNation
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 02:10:45 AM »
Looked up the Wy Tex Ranch. - http://www.rmtproperties.com/WytexRanchFrontPage.html  It's East of the Shirley Mountains and I'm Northwest of them.