Author Topic: WYOMING IN OUR SOUL AND GUTS (AND NEAR FUTURE?)  (Read 2818 times)

Offline NYrefugee

• Reader
WYOMING IN OUR SOUL AND GUTS (AND NEAR FUTURE?)
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »
Hello all -  We have been looking at this site for sometime and are about to do something about it.  We are leaving the once great state of New York (home of Ft. Ticonderoga, origin of Henry Knox's 300mi hike with a few guns, a place called Freeman's Farm, and a few other forgotten places now covered in asphalt), and are looking to live somewhere.......free. Sold house, closing Dec. 5th, tying up loose ends for the next few weeks and then......  Good carpenter needs job, eventual real estate outside of town, preferable with water, and neighbors who do not mind frequent muzzle reports.  Better half can work as physical therapist in a pinch...Two boys 11 and 13....good shots too.....Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

Offline Brandy

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Submissive in totality to one only.
Re: WYOMING IN OUR SOUL AND GUTS (AND NEAR FUTURE?)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:20 PM »
Welcome,

I'm partial to Converse County at this time.  Close enough to Casper for what is needed from a larger city but far enough that you don't have to deal with bit city issues--that is if you can call Casper a big city. ::)  Tons of building projects happening around the area.  Close to the N. Platte River and the Mountains to the South.  3-4 bedroom, 2 bath houses in the area are running about 160's.  Haven't looked for just land can't give any info in regards.  School system is small seems o.k.--don't know for sure as my kids are schooled outside of the public drone.

Welcome and good luck.

Brandy
Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline NYrefugee

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »
Thank you for your reply Brandy  - we will look into that area.  We homeschool as well, so no worries about the public lo mein.  (Although I can't imagine it any lower than in NY).  Thanks again for the help.
Kathy and Dave Laub

Offline NYrefugee

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »
Speaking of places with lots of building activity - Gillette sounds like they're building like crazy - is that right?  Could you live in Weston County and commute?  Does anyone know about carpentry jobs in the Sheridan area? 

Offline Bigduane

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
Hey Nyrefugee: Crook county is a little closer to Gillette than Weston. Just a short drive down the interstate.
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »
Howdy NYrefugee, Ever been to Wyoming? Gillette is still in a boom, I am not there but assume they are trying to build to keep up with demand.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »
Welcome! I live in Weston county, and we have quite a few FSW folks here so it's even better. I'll be glad to tell you what I can about Weston. Lots of people commute to Gillette, but there is work available around here as well. Still some nice places available here and the prices are MUCH lower than anywhere around Gillette. We are also close to the Black Hills here, so lots of places have trees and so forth.

The best idea is to come and look. You can't really find a place long distance. Most of us would be delighted to help in any way possible. PM for directions if you'd like to visit. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline V2Dream

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:22:22 AM »
Welcome!
Another couple of Weston County-ites here.  Love to meet you if you happen to be in or around
Newcastle.  PM for directions.
lindab
To stop dreaming is to stop living.
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Offline NYrefugee

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  We are working out when we can get out to have another look -  my husband Dave was out 2 years ago to an Appleseed and got to see a lot of places.  So soon we will all be able to get out there in the next 3 months. We will be in touch with more detailed questions.  Thanks again!

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
Gillette is one of the pricier communities in Wyo. Quite hi living expenses, but it is booming and there is plenty of employment for anyone who is willing to bend his back a little soil his britchs and dirty his hands. I live in Newcastle and do commute but I drive for a living so do not have to use my own vehicle. It would be 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of the other to commute from here to beat the living expenses, but We're a little more quiet and layed back and its not to far to the boonies. Great rifle range just outside of town and a good gun club. Prarie to the south and Black Hills to the north.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:06 PM »
...there is plenty of employment for anyone who is willing to... soil his britchs...

Gee, is that what it takes to get a job in Gillette? Tough town.  :D
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 07:24:10 AM »
My two year old and nine month'er...are THERE!!
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
WELL..................Not literally Paul. Your going far astream out of context you know >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D ;) ;)
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine