Author Topic: Request: new Amateur Radio sub-forum  (Read 29742 times)

Offline clemmac

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Request: new Amateur Radio sub-forum
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2012, 05:46:40 AM »

................ along with a Kenwood TM-V71A.

That Kenwood TM-V71A looked good to me as a starter radio and mine was supposed to have been delivered yesterday.  The box was apparently too big to fit into our mailbox so the rural carrier took it back to Moorcroft for pickup tomorrow  :P :(  Disappointment !  I wanted to at least try the thing out.  I think I've gathered enough extra stuff to make it work.

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
Yah, my "little boy" has grown up and is quite a guy, we're very proud of him.  He gregarious and likes to meet new folks, he's looking forward to making more contacts with his radio.  Spouse and are both introverts and reclusive and can't figure where we went right with this kid  ;D

Middle son Ross in Minnesota, perked up his ears when he heard that Lorn and dad had become Hams.  He a techie kind of guy and will probably follow our lead and become an amateur radio guy also, just so we don't get ahead of him  ;D

I obtained my first FCC license in 1961 when I was a student pilot, it's a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit", I used it almost daily while driving airplanes, until I retired in 1990.

Clem

That license category is still active, Clem: Very well respected on commercial ships.

Three is better than one and one is better than none . . . on the airwaves. I look forward
to a QSO from all of you.

Terence

I thought you were talking about the 3rd class radiotelegraph operators license which
has some hefty prerequisites:
http://www.narte.org/h/fccabout.asp#TROC

There's no longer a radio permit required for airline pilots unless they happen to
have HF devices on board. In other words, VHF/UHF operating is implicitly 'granted' with
your pilots license.

Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
I definitely need to work on my accuracy!  That slip is the funniest of all!  Good catch.

On a brighter note, have begun acquiring some gear. I now have a 40' push up pole, a couple more handhelds, and have it on hood authority that Santa will be delivering a Diamond  antenna along with a Kenwood TM-V71A. Things are definitely looking up.

Is that 40' pole a tripod of some sort?   I have an 18-foot tripod in the truck ($130) and that
was about the best size/cost/height solution available.  If you've found a mobile 40 footer please
do tell!

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »
I wouldn't call it a mobile antenna, though I suppose you could stick it on top of a truck for transport and set it up in the boonies fairly easily. It is just 4 sections of 10' pipe that sleeve inside one another. You plant the base on a stick of rebar, attach your antenna, and push it up. For long-term mounts you need to ground it properly and guy wire it. To make it an efficient mobile antenna rig might be too much of a pain but it would be possible.  I think a loop or inverted L might be the way to go for a good long range mobile antenna. We recently set one of these up in less than an hour at work-including multiple guy wires. It's easy work. 

I plan to use it at my home. I live in one of the more elevated areas of town and will be able to hit most areas of the valley from my home with a 5w handheld. When the new Kenwood gets up and running, I will be pushing 50w through an 11dB gain antenna. I can hardly wait.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:28 AM »
I wouldn't call it a mobile antenna, though I suppose you could stick it on top of a truck for transport and set it up in the boonies fairly easily. It is just 4 sections of 10' pipe that sleeve inside one another. You plant the base on a stick of rebar, attach your antenna, and push it up. For long-term mounts you need to ground it properly and guy wire it. To make it an efficient mobile antenna rig might be too much of a pain but it would be possible.  I think a loop or inverted L might be the way to go for a good long range mobile antenna. We recently set one of these up in less than an hour at work-including multiple guy wires. It's easy work. 

I plan to use it at my home. I live in one of the more elevated areas of town and will be able to hit most areas of the valley from my home with a 5w handheld. When the new Kenwood gets up and running, I will be pushing 50w through an 11dB gain antenna. I can hardly wait.

Ok, thanks for the details an that.  Sounds great for a semi-permanent install. 
For now I'll stick with the 18' tripod (24' if put on top of the truck).  It's only for
quick mobile HF, anyway.

Terence