Author Topic: Communications:  (Read 60004 times)

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
Re: Communications:
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »
...There's always the possibility of ECCM or EMP which would likely cause many to return to just using a signal mirror, flashlight or smoke signals.  ;)

Only for those with reflective flat surfaces and matches... and happen to know how to use them OR the ability & desire to learn  ;)

BTW thanks for the tips & look forward to trying out Ham'ing at some future point...sounds like fun.

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Seniortech

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
Concerning those reflective flat surfaces, matches and such, necessary is the mama of invention (or something like that).
Welcome for the tips.  Try it, you'll like it.

John
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
HAM Radio on the road
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
I just got back from a road-trip to Phoenix. (I don't fly anymore, as I will not submit to the state and meekly remove my shoes in order to travel.)

I used the 146.52 FM (Simplex) channel and talked to some very interesting folks along the way... from a miner in Northern Arizona to a fellow Ham in Riverton. I was hitting contacts regularly at the 30-mile range with my mobile unit.

When the whole mess finally collapses from the internal rot and corruption, I believe that having the ability to communicate with this medium will give one a definite leg-up.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline Blakejoh

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
Re: HAM Radio on the road
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »
I just got back from a road-trip to Phoenix. (I don't fly anymore, as I will not submit to the state and meekly remove my shoes in order to travel.)

Amen to that.  That is part of the reason my wife is in Phoenix right now visiting the grandkids and I am not.  We didn't have enough free time for a road trip, and I avoid flying (for the same reason as you).

(Sorry for straying off topic...)
He who conquers must vanquish; he who defends must merely survive.

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »
Hank,
Glad you're back.  You're absolutely right about the 2m communications on a trip, and for future use.  Done it many times.
Hope you can get started putting up that dipole and help us get the HF net started.
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
Hope you can get started putting up that dipole and help us get the HF net started.

I don't have any trips until March... so I'm getting anxious to get on the HF.

I've got a 40M dipole, but I'd also considered installing a vertical antenna. Problem is... I'm completely ignorant as to what's available out in the marketplace. I have a tv antenna tower that I could put up right next to my garage/ham shack... if I knew what I was doing. I guess for me, having a nice, clean installation is more important than the cost.... (up to a point of course).

What's your thoughts on this?

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »
I'm also looking at using a ALPHA DELTA DX-SWL-S/DX-SWL "SLOPER" ANTENNA and my tower, since this would give me 160-80-40 meter capability and would be ideal with my tower. At $59.95... it's definitely affordable.

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »
Hank,
Get a copy of QST magazine, there is a wealth of info in the ads in that mag with websites to specific outfits. 
I am leaving within two days for a trip down South by Southwest.  Going to visit my new twin grandsons.  Be gone a week or so and be off line.  I imagine RedTailHawk would reply to pm's for info.

73's

John
A. Einstein

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »
Ho John,

I subscribe to QST already.. great info there.. altho much of it is over my head.

In the interest of keeping everything as transportable as I can... I've opted for the Alpha-Delta Outpost portable antenna mount and an Outbacker Outreach 500 antenna. That should allow me to set-up and broadcast HF from any location. When I'm not on the air.. I can simply stash it in the barn. My HF rig is an IC-730 and I'm dealing with a guy in Laramie county on an IC-736.

I like the idea of a FSW net and will be happy to lend my poor skills to making it happen.

Alpha-Delta Outpost w/antenna

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Another Reason to Consider HAM Radio?
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »
In a pilot project, the FBI deputized about 10 local bomb squads across the country in 2007 so they could use a small number of radio jammers similar to the military equipment used overseas.

The local pleas for expanded permission are beginning to get a friendly reception on Capitol Hill. Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.), chairman of the Senate homeland security committee, plans to introduce legislation that would give law enforcement agencies "the tools they need to selectively jam" communications in the event of a terrorist attack, a spokeswoman said.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (Tex.), the ranking Republican on the Senate Commerce Committee, has introduced a bill that would allow the U.S. Bureau of Prisons and governors to seek waivers from the FCC to jam calling at prisons.

"When lives are at stake, law enforcement needs to find ways to disrupt cellphones and other communications in a pinpointed way against terrorists who are using them," New York City Police Commissioner Raymond F. Kelly told a Senate panel Jan. 8. He also cited the Mumbai terrorist attacks, when hostage-takers used media spotters and satellite and mobile phones to help them outmaneuver police at hotels, train stations and other targets.

Backing up such requests are the commercial interests that could provide the jammers.

Melamed, with CellAntenna, has worked for several years to open what the company forecasts could be a $25 million line of domestic jamming business for itself, and the amount could be more for bigger players such as Tyco and Harris Corp. He said rules that prevent government agencies from blocking signals don't make sense.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 07:54:26 AM »
Don't they already have this "power"...or is this just part of expanded "legal" coverage?

"This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »

Huh? I never read that before.  I wonder what it could mean.  I understand that a transmitter should not cause harmful interference, but ". . . must accept any interference received, including interference that my cause undesired operation." is nonsense.
A. Einstein

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »
All,
We finally got together on the air!  The first session of the FSWers Ham Radio Net was held today on 7.165 MHZ at 5:00 PM MST (0001Z).  This will be a regular net, probably about once a week and open to any ham radio operator who wishes to check in.  We will meet tomorrow at the same time, conditions permitting, and decide on a schedule.  Only two of us made it (well, it's a start ain't it), RedtailHawk (Washington) and Seniortech (Wyoming).  HardwareHank was scheduled to be on air but he didn't show up, doubtless because of conditions beyond his control.  Hank?   We'll look for him tomorrow, and for any others who can make it.

Want to join in but don't know how to get on the air?  PM me for info.  I know a couple of guys who live on a mountain; perfect place to string up a wire antenna.  Hint, hint.

John

A. Einstein

Offline redtailhawk

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
Yep, great contact, good signal!  Almost 1hr 15min and worked two bands, 40m and 20m.  We'll continue to open it up as time goes on.  And, we're working a short bounce off the atmosphere across the Rockies...not as easy as it seems!

Would love to have others join us and we'll work out all the other issues as they come.  We'll help anyway we can, so jump in and let's do commo!

Nothing productive happens without communications. 

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
How to be a Ham?  All you need to know is at:  www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html
A. Einstein