Author Topic: Communications:  (Read 59365 times)

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
Re: Communications:
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
Well, it's great the repeater network is working within the black hills.  Maybe its
time to find out if NVIS is a myth though it may require separate antennas to point
more vertically and experiment.

The Cowboy Net is on 3923.5 kHz, which is HF, not a repeater net. NVIS works pretty well for it. I have good coverage of Cowboy Net stations and the antenna is only about 15 feet high on average; it is 130 feet long.

Yes, I only knew the same FSW crew was talking within the black hills on linked repeaters because
Mac told me that via personal e-mail. 

Can you/Do you point your antenna more vertically than it's normal install position
to increase the takeoff angle?  If one can't do that then it seems a separate HF antenna
would be needed for NVIS, no?

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline redtailhawk

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
As Mac said, there are 4 of us who've been making contact regularly for the past few weeks and working out some of the bugs (distance, freqs, times, etc) and we've had some great QSO's.  I'm currently acting as ad hoc Net Control and we'd welcome any who'd like to participate.

At this point, the consensus isn't a daily net, but a once or twice a week contact to check signals, propagation, and pass along any information.  The intent is to keep it simple, reliable, and pertinent. There's still some work to do determining what bands are usable for the distances, but those should be resolved in the near future.

If any are interested, let us know.  You must have a current and valid FCC license to operate in the HF spectrum.  For those who do not wish to acquire a FCC license, you're welcome to listen to our traffic, and if that's the case, let us know and we can give you the freqs and sideband to receive.  I want to make this clear, though;  if you do not possess a valid license to operate, and you attempt to transmit, you will not be acknowledged. 

If you'd like to listen, you'll need a shortwave receiver with a good exterior antenna and the radio must have the capability of receiving upper and lower sidebands.  Our conversations may be boring to some, pertaining to weather and signal strength, but our focus is on reliable, clear communications, not social interactions.  Those can be arranged between stations separately.

redtailhawk
AA4VB

Offline SunDog

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
Can you/Do you point your antenna more vertically than it's normal install position
to increase the takeoff angle?  If one can't do that then it seems a separate HF antenna

My antenna is a wire which is roughly parallel to the ground. Its vertical pattern would be the same in all angles (a doughnut around the wire) except for the fact that it is over the ground. The fact that it is over ground, and rather low (as measured in wavelengths), means that its pattern in the vertical plane is a blob more or less directed up. That is, it is "nearly vertical." So I am not controlling the vertical pattern by pointing it, but rather by adjusting the height above ground. At HF with reasonable support heights, control of the vertical pattern by pointing doesn't work. It's by adjusting the height of the effective center of the antenna above ground.

Feel free to PM me if you want *extended* discussions of antennas. As a former antenna engineer, I know I tend to go on about it....

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »

My antenna is a wire which is roughly parallel to the ground. Its vertical pattern would be the same in all angles (a doughnut around the wire) except for the fact that it is over the ground. The fact that it is over ground, and rather low (as measured in wavelengths), means that its pattern in the vertical plane is a blob more or less directed up. That is, it is "nearly vertical." So I am not controlling the vertical pattern by pointing it, but rather by adjusting the height above ground. At HF with reasonable support heights, control of the vertical pattern by pointing doesn't work. It's by adjusting the height of the effective center of the antenna above ground.

Feel free to PM me if you want *extended* discussions of antennas. As a former antenna engineer, I know I tend to go on about it....

Fascinating. Let me digest all that and come back with questions, thanks.

The ARRL Antenna book is next on my list since I need to come up with an optimal
HF mobile solution.  Every mobile option has limitations and I'm working through
what to give up and how to minimize loss.

If we had a separate section for antenna discussions we could move them there.
I think our experiments will be a useful reference as people go through the process (And
the more, the better!).

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2012, 03:16:28 AM »
Since the new Amateur Radio thread has not been started yet, I’ll pose a question here.

Within the first chapter of HAM Radios for Dummies, it is apparent that a computer is one of the (maybe) necessary components of a good radio shack for keeping logs. We almost dumped our old desk top PC as we don’t use it anymore. I thought twice about it, and was about to strip it and load a Linux OS on it, but I am still very new in learning that system as well. 

For those of you who have a dedicated PC for your HAM rig, what OS do you use?

Should I keep Windows on it?

Will Linux work?

And is your HAM PC on-line, or just linked to your rig off the internet?

OK, that was 4 questions, but that is what newbies are all about, right?   :D

73’s
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline redtailhawk

« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
I dont use a computer in my shack anymore.  For me, it was a personal decision based on the costs of the constant updates, new devices, the never-ending "grand ideas" from hams with more time and money than I had.  After using PSK31, Winlink2K, Winmor, and some of the computer packet programs,  I found I was spending more time managing data than I was making contacts.

That said, Logbook of the World (LOTW) is a great program for tracking contacts.  I've always kept a manual logbook, but LOTW is really simple and accepted worldwide.

Windows will work.  I'm sure Linux will also.

Online is fine if you've got a line to your shack and have a need to access the extensive information available.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from getting involved in computer based radio.  It was fun and has a ton of advantages.  As I said, for me it was a matter of time and money.  I dont spend much time doing DX or contesting anymore and my focus these days is reliable emergency communications with fellow hams.

Hope this helps.  We're on 40m, 7165mHz LSB at 0730MDT every Tuesday.

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »
My mainframe is called Papyrus,  and my OS is called "Graphite Stick" with an add on by Cellulose.
Very effective for me. But sometimes the Graphite Stick gets blunted and must go thru a "restore" process in a little accessory I keep in my drawer.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline searchdog

• Reader
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Whether you need a computer is dependent on what you are doing in ham radio.  There is an awful lot. Mostly, I've used the computer only to look up things on the internet.  Regarding Windows or Linux, I'd say both.  Create a new partition on the computer and load Linux.  And set it up to boot either.
Searchdog, kd5oeo

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
One more question.

Is there an internet link to listen to HAM channels like there is to listen to police/fire scanners?

I think I have found the answer to this question.

This is from over at http://radiofreeredoubt.blogspot.com/ 

Does anyone here follow this site?

http://radiofreeredoubt.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-receive-ham-radio-digital.html

I’ll update with how this works out…
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Here is some more information from radiofreeredoubt. At the bottom is a list of times that they are on the air, seems like a good time to make some contacts for everyone.

http://radiofreeredoubt.blogspot.com/p/communications-plan-for-preppers.html

COMMUNICATIONS PLAN (for Preppers & Redoubters)

As with all survival/prepper/Redoubt communications, the below programs are for making initial contact or for monitoring for news and information across the Radio Net.  For individual group communications or "side-issue" chatting, move to another frequency to keep the net open for others.  We encourage you to form a separate, private communication plan within your own local group, but always keep the below-outlined commo plans available for standardized communications for ALL preppers or Redoubters.
•   CH-3:  CHannel - 3.  For CB, FRS/GMRS, and MURS Radios. 
Specifically designed as a standardized plan to keep local preppers connected, whether you're a Ham radio operator or not.  Licensing is NOT required to use these communications devices.  In an emergency, switch to Channel 3 of your CB Radio, FRS/GMRS Radios, or MURS Radios to get hold of other Preppers and Redoubters.    This is not used on a daily basis.  It is for making initial contact with others, and for monitoring for important information transmitted by Hams and Relays.  See AmRRON to learn more about how this works.To learn more about CH-3, click HERE.
•   AmRRON:  the American Redoubt Radio Operators Network. 
The AmRRON Frequency Plan is available only to members of the American Redoubt Network.  AmRRON is the radio net designed to keep Redoubters and OAR (Outside the American Redoubt) patriots connected should conventional communications fail.  *It is for a real-world disaster situation. AmRRON incorporates HF(High Frequency)/Shortwave, with 2m Ham, 70cm Ham, and CH-3, linking Hams and Non-Hams, to keep intelligence, news, and information flowing both directions. 
*For everyday communications and regularly-scheduled nets, we encourage you to transmit and monitor communications by joining other preppers using TAPRN (The American Prepper Radio Network). To learn more about AmRRON, click HERE.
•   TAPRN:  The American Prepper Radio Network. 
For everyday, normal use for Ham operators who are Preppers, Patriots, and Redoubters, since we're all in this together.  Do NOT use your AmRRON Call Sign when using this net.  You may only use your FCC Call Sign.  Remember, the majority of the people using TAPRN are not Redoubters, they're preppers.  This is a great way to practice using your equipment and honing your Ham skills before TEOTWAWKI, and build some great relationships with some wonderful, like-minded folks.  To learn more about TAPRN, click HERE.

Standardized Amateur Radio Prepper Communications Plan
from TAPRN (The American Preppers Radio Network)
     Standardized Frequencies and Modes
      80 Meters – 3.818 MHz LSB (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 9 PM ET)
      40 Meters – 7.242 MHz LSB
      40 Meters Digital – 7.073 MHz USB CONTESTIA. 4/250 mode. (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 7:30 PM ET)
      20 Meters – 14.242 MHz USB
      2 Meters – 146.420 MHz FM

TAPRN Regularly Schedueld Weekly NET:

Sunday Evenings: 
40 Meters Digital -- 7.073 MHz USB CONTESTIA. 4/250 mode
0030 hrs (ZULU); 1930(Eastern); 1630(Pacific)

80 Meters Voice (Phone) -- 3.818 MHz LSB
0200hrs (ZULU); 2100 (Eastern); 1800 (Pacific)

Tuesday Evenings:
80 Meters Voice (Phone) -- 3.818 MHz LSB
0100hrs (ZULU); 2000 (Eastern); 1700 (Pacific) 

Thursday Evenings:
40 Meters Digital -- 7.073 MHz USB CONTESTIA. 4/250 mode
0100hrs (ZULU); 2000 (Eastern); 1700 (Pacific) 
This digital net is to help beginners.

We are attempting to build a consistent communications grid for both Digital & Phone nets. We encourage every member to use these frequencies on a daily basis as well as participating in the scheduled nets.

Voice/Phone Net 80-meter band (all LSB):
     -  Primary 3.818 MHz (+/- 5 kHz)
     -  Secondary 3.855 MHz (+/- 5 kHz)
     -  Alternate 3.983 MHz (+/- 5 kHz)

Digital Net Contestia 4/250 mode (all USB):
     -  Primary 7.073 MHz (offset ±1000 Hz) 40-meter band
     -  Secondary 3.583 MHZ (offset ±1000 Hz) 80-meter band

Pick your favorite and join in OR better yet try to catch them both.
TAPRN Digital Net
Sunday night 7:30PM Eastern On 40 meters at 7.073 Mhz ---USB,---
Now using CONTESTIA. 4/250 mode.
TAPRN Voice Net
Sunday Night 8PM Eastern for the PRE NET and 9 PM Eastern for the regular net On 80 meters at 3.818 Mhz ---LSB,--- (+/-) for QRM

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
For those of you who have a dedicated PC for your HAM rig, what OS do you use?

Should I keep Windows on it?

Will Linux work?

And is your HAM PC on-line, or just linked to your rig off the internet?

Unix.

Nah, probably just throw it out or put some version of unix on it.

Yes.

Hams are geeks at heart so all the cool stuff has a unix version!

Does anyone here follow this site?

http://radiofreeredoubt.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-receive-ham-radio-digital.html

I’ll update with how this works out…

Yes, John is doing some great work with his RFR plan.  They just went through a
readiness exercise and am looking forward to learning from it.

Terence

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2014, 07:13:25 AM »
Not much about ham radio on the forum these days.  Thought I would post this in case anyone is interested:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/09/no_author/if-theres-real-trouble/
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
Yes, thanks Sam.  It is a pretty good article about why and how to get going in ham radio.
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline wildman

« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
Plan on studying soon for da license. 
YOU are the resistance.