Author Topic: Communications:  (Read 59336 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Communications:
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
There is all the difference in the world between voluntary association, common courtesy, and a government issued "license." A "license" is permission from government to do something that would otherwise be illegal. That's a far cry from a voluntary association.

A "license" to practice medicine does not in any way guarantee competence, let alone common courtesy. A "license" to carry a gun does absolutely nothing to improve the morals or habits of the person who carries it. It may help to punish him after the fact, but it does not change his character or motives one bit.

This is no place to argue this. Let's just say I will not be getting any sort of "license" ever again. I carried the burden of a totally useless and morally depraved nursing "license" for far too long to ever wish to wear the yoke again. I'll bow out of this thread. Sorry.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
Whew!
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 07:36:17 AM »
GOD...............I just love this place :-X :-X :-X :-X
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »
I've got my General license (KE7RFL), but so far, haven't done anything except UHV/VHF stuff. I've got a used HF unit sitting in the barn, along with power supply, antenna, etc.., but don't have the expertise to do anything with it yet.

I also have a Yaesu handheld in the house and a Yaesu 857-D in the truck... but only VHF/UHF antenna connected. One of these days, plan on going HF there as well.

I have a goal of learning at least one new skill each year... and getting my amateur license was my 2008 endeavor. 2009 is learning to do a few chords on the guitar and to learn something more about sausage-making.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline redtailhawk

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »
HardwareHank, if you need help or have questions, let us know.  Sounds like you're all set.  I know Seniortech would like to get a local net going and we're working on a national net.

Send me a PM on the chords.  Cant help you with the sausage!

redtailhawk

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 01:52:12 PM »
One could exist without any license of any kind, but it would be
an incredible hassle.  I know several people who have vigorously
lived their "right to travel" and often paid the price to the extent
that they couldn't travel much at all due to impounded cars and
incessant court appearances.

Even ML very likely has a DL, and I wouldn't think a whit less of her for it.

Choose the right hills to fight for and die on, I guess.
It's all about balance, and some degree of pragmaticim is required in Life.
This offends my idealist nature, of course, but I'm now old enough to accept
what I truly must, and thus move on. 

If getting a license effectively allows you more training and thus more skill,
then acquiescing has its benefits.  The total nonlicensee (these days)
would experience huge isolation and a meager skillset.  Is that worth it?
Your call.

The tattle-tale reputation of some hams has always rankled me.
If a non-licensed ham (who had passed all his tests and otherwise
followed all the rules) was on the air, why should licensed hams object?

Similarly, if a trained/safe person concealed-carried his handgun, what
basis would the CCWer have to report him? 

Boston

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »
I guess I reacted strongly to this because at midnight, December 31, I will finally be FREE of the damned RN "license."

I decided to let it lapse for many reasons, only one of which relates here: I have been informed by reliable sources that "licensed" RNs could and WOULD be drafted by the government, in part to conduct future mandatory vaccinations. Heaven knows what else we might be forced to do... so, hopefully, without the damned license they will leave me the hell alone.

I worked very hard to earn my education, and never stopped studying or working to gain new skills. I was proud of my profession and my work. But for more than 20 years I've seen every jackass possible come along the pike who, because they could qualify for that stupid "license," was considered competent to practice nursing regardless of their skill or dedication or anything else.

That is not a profession. It is a gang of sheep who think they know what they are doing because they have permission from the state to do it. Yes, there are many dedicated and worthy individuals still working in nursing, and I salute them. I just no longer have the patience to remain and fight the BS any longer. 

What others do about this is most certainly up to them. We all choose different battles. When the DL folks demand to take pictures of our eyeballs and the "card" becomes our mark of the beast, I suspect some will even re-evaluate that one.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
No worries, Mama.
Not all licences embrace a similar level of ramifications.
Thanks for the explanation about the nursing profession.

The ham radio license is about as picayne as licences can be,
but it nonetheless rankles me.

When the DL folks demand to take pictures of our eyeballs and the "card" becomes our mark of the beast, I suspect some will even re-evaluate that one.
So true!
By then, it may be too late!

Boston

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
The Motorola GMRS's handhelds delivered on Christmas state " you must secure a license to use channels 8-22..."  yeah right...
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Bigduane

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
Hey Seniortech: I had to work last weekend so I did not listen. Did yall have a good net?  BTW my girlfrien is a coosass (cajun for those that dont know) and I get lots of gumbo. Jambalya too.  I will try to monitor the frequencies for FSW traffic. Do you have any repeaters in the area that do Echolink? My callsign is kf4eLj working on my general.
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline Seniortech

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »
Bigduane,
Gumbo? Jambalaya?  Hush yo' mouth man!  You makin' me so hungry.

Negative on the net last weekend.  Redtailhawk could hear me pretty well but I could only barely hear him once in a while.  He was in contact with stations further to the east, even New Hampshire, but we reckon the sky wave was just bouncing over me.  Not really sure and the bands were bad anyway. We haven't given up though.  Better luck this weekend.  When we set another schedule I'll send you a pm and you can at least listen in. 
Echolink?  I don't even know what that is.  Guess I haven't kept up.  There are some repeaters in Wyoming that are linked but my impression is that it is for local traffic, not nationwide.  I haven't been on VHF except Linda and I use the 2m mobiles for when I go to town and forget what she sent me after.

Keep on working on the General ticket and we'll meet up on HF. 
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline Bigduane

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »
Attn SUN: You are directed to begin creating spots forthwith. You will comply with all due haste. 8)
 Bigduane kf4eLj
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 12:38:36 PM »
Attn SUN: You are directed to begin creating spots forthwith. You will comply with all due haste. 8)
 Bigduane kf4eLj

Yeah, I'll second that. Even at the risk of giving the "global warmer" crowd a bit more ammunition, I could sure do with a bit more sun and a lot less ice... <G>

Offline Bigduane

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
Seniortech: I was just listening on 40 meters.  I could hear kb0rg in Yankton SD. With a wire laying on the floor of my bedroom.2:20 pm Louisiana time. He was on 7.253.50 lsb. So from time to time I should be able to talk into WY
 Bigduane

Offline NWO OP-FOR

• Casual Observer
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
"The Motorola GMRS's handhelds delivered on Christmas state " you must secure a license to use channels 8-22..."  yeah right..."

LOL. I've used a set in the oilfield for 3 years. They work pretty good. And I don't have a license  >:D. If BB decides to direction find to my AO, he'll be feelin' around in the dark, cause I'm always moving around.

Hand held aviation VHF radios used rather intermittently and with code words should get a militia in business. A bass station would be to easy to DF...unless you're encrypted, frequency hopping, TX'ing intermittently, and well hidden... There's always the possibility of ECCM or EMP which would likely cause many to return to just using a signal mirror, flashlight or smoke signals.  ;)

Reason. The greatest gift from God other than life itself.