Author Topic: Reach out to Libertarians  (Read 11116 times)

Offline Happymom

• Reader
Reach out to Libertarians
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
I have spoken to a few Libertarians (who are acitivists!) who have never heard of the Free State Wyoming or the FSP.  I was very surprised, since I have just recently shifted from Republican to even more right wing, and even I know about FSW and FSP.  The Republicans send out notices of important petitions, things to watch for, etc to its members.  Do the Libertarians have clubs, orgs, regional meetings, where one of us can attend and then spread the good news about FSW? 

Offline o13102

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Absolute sententia expositure non idiget
    • Bard
Re: Reach out to Libertarians
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »
Unfortunately, in my experience most (capital L) Libertarians are what Boston refers to as the "egghead and nerf" crowd. They fail to follow the philosophy to it's logical conclusion and refuse to accept that you need to be both able and willing to fight (and if forced to, kill) for your rights.

The Libertarian Party seems to have lost it's way. They seem to hold the view that we can convince the 50% -/+ Americans who don't want freedom that they really do. I agree with Boston that this is a lost cause. The party is too nationally focused. They'd consider any "advertising" for this movement drawing power (and money) away from their losing battle.

As a former LP member, I can tell you straight up, we don't want 3/4 of those folks.
---

///Mike

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws. -- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
I have just recently shifted from Republican to even more right wing...

Don't you think what really happened is that the GOP did the "shifting"... not you?

I've been a conservative Republican since I cast my first vote (Goldwater), but 8 years of Bush and the boot-licking party politics of the Republican Congressmen and Senators soured me on the (formerly) Grand Old Party.

Look what Cubin did to us. When the Wyoming legislature was preparing to reject the "Real ID" crap that Bush wanted... Cubin rolls in to Wyoming and lobbies against the anti-Real ID movement.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline Bigduane

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
When I lived in SC I went to 2 LP meetings. The GOP was laying down and letting Clinton run wild. Over half of the people at the LP meeting were just interested in smoking dope and did not seemto care about anything else. As I dont smoke anything(nictine messes up your shooting) I did not go back. I did vote LP 88 92 96 2000 2004 but I voted for Mccain My brother in law told me what is in store for us under  Obama. He is a Border Patrol agent.  They are coming for the guns.
 Bigduane
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline o13102

• Absolute sententia expositure non idiget
    • Bard
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Don't you think what really happened is that the GOP did the "shifting"... not you?

Hank, you're dead on. I have held the same beliefs and principles for years, and the parties have all shifted away from me, not the other way around.

However, in the end, there really is no difference between the two major parties. They will both screw us in the end...
---

///Mike

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws. -- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Offline Happymom

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
Any of you listen to Glenn Beck?  He claims to be a libertarian.  Does anyone want to take on the task of calling him and telling about FSW?  I bet many listeners would welcome this knowlege.   Probably lots would relocate.

Regarding the two parties, the Donkey is a bully and the Elephant is a wimp.  The Donkey gets 30% of the vote and claims a mandate.  The Elephant gets 60% and wants to get down on its knees so as to reach across the isle.  I'm not impressed. 

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
My father told me when I was a kid that GOP stood for "Get Off And Push".
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline NWO OP-FOR

• Casual Observer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »
"Any of you listen to Glenn Beck?  He claims to be a libertarian."

So does Mike Gravel...and a host of others who are not.  ;)

Check out this link, http://www.harrybrowne.org/articles/PrinciplesOfGovernment.htm. Perhaps you could learn to view statism and libertarianism a bit differently after doing so. Good day.
Reason. The greatest gift from God other than life itself.

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
"Any of you listen to Glenn Beck?  He claims to be a libertarian."

So does Mike Gravel...and a host of others who are not.  ;)

Check out this link, http://www.harrybrowne.org/articles/PrinciplesOfGovernment.htm. Perhaps you could learn to view statism and libertarianism a bit differently after doing so. Good day.

Beck is, at best, a small-government conservative.  At worst, he has some latent mercantilist, and even fascist tendencies. And, he completely whored himself out when he got the CNN gig.  If you listened to his radio show prior, he sounds like a completely different person now.

Here's the difference between a Libertarian and a small-government conservative:  They both think that goverment is a necessary evil but one has nagging doubts about "necessary", while he other has nagging doubts about "evil".

Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline Blakejoh

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »
Here's the difference between a Libertarian and a small-government conservative:  They both think that goverment is a necessary evil but one has nagging doubts about "necessary", while he other has nagging doubts about "evil".

Very well said.
He who conquers must vanquish; he who defends must merely survive.

Offline novuslibertas

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:28:10 AM »
A better radio host then Glenn Beck for a FSP mind set would be Mike Church on Sirius.  Since the formation of the USSA on Nov. 4th he seems to be leaning more to a "Liberties' Teeth" frame of mind.  I'm thinking of sending him BGB or Molon Labe and pushing him the rest of the way over towards the light of liberty.  Anyway of the "conservative" talk show hosts on the airwaves he is the most entertaining. ~W~

Offline Ketzer

• Reader
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »
So does Mike Gravel...and a host of others who are not.

I remember a long time ago hearing Bill Clinton describe himself as a libertarian.   :D

If you've ever attended a Libertarian Party, you'll know that their favorite past time is to sit around and discuss who is and is not a "real libertarian."  I hear that lesbians do the same thing.  ("So-and-so is not a real lesbian; I saw her out with a man the other night.") 

The intense brainwashing by the public schools and the mass media present formidable obstacles to building a free society, and yet somehow all of us here managed either to wake up from our statist slumber, or to avoid indoctrination in the first place.

It looks to me more and more that the system will enter severe crisis brought on by debt within the next five to 10 years. The current trajectory is simply not sustainable.  Interesting times ahead. 

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
I have spoken to a few Libertarians (who are acitivists!) who have never heard of the Free State Wyoming or the FSP.  I was very surprised, since I have just recently shifted from Republican to even more right wing, and even I know about FSW and FSP.  ...

Here's my take on why...

While WY is is a great spot for Libertarians who are able to run below the radar, WY is NOT the most Libertarian Friendly State around... mainly because of its' insane Judges and the Good 'Ol Boy network that ensures that non-Harmful expressions of liberty will almost assuredly get you 10-12... a very "right wing"/big government concept. :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:43:32 PM by Old Ironsights »
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין