Author Topic: Local yokel  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
Re: Local yokel
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »
Oh, no problem with the bikers, other than the "braaaaap" all day long.  ::)  I just love it when I see a bike that is NOT a Harley. Fun watching the biker babes though.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
Oh, no problem with the bikers, other than the "braaaaap" all day long.  ::)  I just love it when I see a bike that is NOT a Harley. Fun watching the biker babes though.

Paul....

These links are especially for you.... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycRnaY2BBB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rueC1r8W1s

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
Ha ha, that first one really brought back memories.

Back in 1969, just out of Marine boot camp (19 years old), a buddy and I went into a bike shop in National City CA and each bought a Norton N15 (mine looked exactly like that one in the picture except for the white border on the seat). This was about the hottest available bike in those days, a 58hp 750 in a Matchless frame, weighing only about 420lb. Anyway, I had about 1 month experience on a crappy little Kawasaki 175, and my friend had never ridden a motorcycle in his life.  :o  Anyway, we were out in front with the two bikes, with the shop owner explaining where the clutch, brakes, etc. were. My friend got his going, and then just dumped the clutch, shot off the sidewalk, across the street, hitting the tail light of the car parked there (almost like that video) up on the sidewalk on the other side, where a chain link fence arrested further progress. We ran over there, checking him out. He was a bit flustered, and complained his knee was sore. He had busted that car tail light with his knee, which knee had then dented the side cover of the motorcycle! The only damage that we could find. Anyway, shortly thereafter we both drove out there (a bit more quietly  ;) ) on up to 29 Palms where we were stationed.

I still pine for that bike. Did some pretty outrageous things with it, like drifting through corners on desert roads going 70mph, on bald tires. It's a wonder I survived.  :)

Here's a nice story about these bikes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:23:45 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »
I still pine for that bike. Did some pretty outrageous things with it, like drifting through corners on desert roads going 70mph, on bald tires. It's a wonder I survived.  :)

You were just testing the pre-cursor to those fancy "racing slicks" they sell fer 'dem fancy bikes today... ;)
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me