Author Topic: Greetings from the People's Republic of Kalifornia  (Read 4571 times)

Offline 5150

Greetings from the People's Republic of Kalifornia
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi Everyone!

First post here.  I just finished Molon Labe! and have started Boston's Gun Bible.  After reading ML!, I feel like even more of a prisoner here in my birth state.  I've lived abroad in the UK (hellhole), in northern and southern California, and in the Denver area.  As a longtime LewRockwell.com reader, I'm no stranger to the ideas of liberty; just to people actually doing something beyond reading about it!

My wife is not thrilled with my new enthusiasm for a Wyoming relocation.  Having twice driven I-80 through Wyoming, she's convinced that she's seen enough to know she never wants to live there.  The good news is that she loves Colorado, and would be happy to live in the Denver or Fort Collins area. 

Why is that good news?  Well, despite the record number of commies flocking to the Centennial State, by relocating (again) from California to Colorado, my personal liberty does increase substantially (Boston scored it an 85 as opposed to California's 30).  And the way I see it, I'm then only a few short hours away from Wyoming, which makes it much more feasible for me to explore the state beyond the I-80 corridor and persuade my wife to buy some land (even a few acres).

Do I sound reasonable, or like a deluded pipe dreamer?

Offline socalserf

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman RWVA Instructor
Re: Greetings from the People's Republic of Kalifornia
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »
Welcome 5150!
From another CA resident.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:16:59 AM »
Howdy 5150 !  I am in Denver for a little longer myself but at least I have Wyoming land already. Come on out when you can. Will you be looking for work or have you got that covered ?
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline 5150

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:55:17 AM »
Hi Wyomiles,

Thanks!  I'm not sure I'll be looking for work at that point.  I'm looking at a 2-3 year time horizon (to financially prepare and to make the necessary family adjustments) before making the actual migration.  I'm somewhat familiar with the Denver tech center, but who knows--with this economy--what the job landscape will look like in 2011. 

It looks like some beautiful property can be had for under $100k in WY.  How was your experience finding suitable land?

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:08:42 AM »
Welcome indeed from a Kalifornia escapee!

Just some thoughts... What, exactly, does your wife like best about Colorado? How does she know she would not find that also in Wyoming? I hope she is open minded enough to make at least one trip up state to see more of what is here, and to meet FSW and other Wyoming folks. For most of us, having honest and supportive friends and neighbors here is at least as important as any other factor, and sometimes a great deal more.

If possible, encourage her at least read some on this forum and get to know the folks here - and those who are on the way. If she understands the storm that is coming, the presence here of so many good people might just tip the balance. I'm happy to talk to her any time, but promise not to pressure her at all, just would answer any questions and reassure her that Wyoming is a wonderful place to live. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
5150 - OMG!!!!!
Get her off of the I-80!
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
5150 - OMG!!!!!
Get her off of the I-80!

What ever you do get her off of I80.  It is time for a tour......  Head for Buffalo, Sheridan, over to Cody and into Yellowstone, over to rook County and Newcastle......  I80 corridor is not scenic only convenient for building a road......

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
5150, I actually bought my land years ago when I lived in Wyoming. I moved to Colorado to follow my work and miss Wyoming every day. I still have family and friends  ~W~ in Wyoming so get back home once in a while. I got a good deal and did not use a realtor. Bought it from a guy who was moving and we just went to the county court house and signed the papers. Real easy! There are lots of good deals out there, just be sure to either travel to see what you are buying or ask us here ,before you buy something to cheap!
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »
5150 - OMG!!!!!
Get her off of the I-80!

Yeah, basing one's opinion of Wyoming on I-80 is like basing one's opinion of California on I-40 east of Barstow, or I-10 east of Indio.

Actually, it's a good thing I-80 is so bleak. Probably keeps Wyoming's population down lower than it otherwise would be.  :)  But there is no doubt, Wyoming is a pretty dry state. But it ain't ALL desert. Lots of purty parts, heh.

One way to make a really quick tour is to get on http://mapper.acme.com/. That will give an idea.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:13:20 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »
Paul, as I recall from having lived out there - the only thing east of Indio was Hell .... and they put the new freeway right through the middle of it!
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
Indeed! I used to do home health nursing - going house to house - out there in the early 80s. Between Indio and Brawley is just terrible. One morning I was sent out to Salton Sea to a patient. When I got there at 9 AM it was already 100 degrees and very humid. As I recall, it was early spring then too. Never did accept another visit out there!

The old folks out there said it was hell with the pressure lid on too tight! :)

Offline gabby

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »
Going TDY to occupied territory next week.  Thankfully the facility I am going to isn't that far from John Wayne Airport!
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful, and bear considerable watching.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 05:45:02 AM »
Watch your back there, dear (since you can't carry your six, damn it). I'd rather stay out in the blistering desert than set foot in Orange County. Be careful, and come home soon. :)

Offline gabby

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
Darn right!  I wish I didn't have to go, but Uncle Sams says I must. 

I thought about taking along something, but even a less expensive pistol in a GI issued official case would just scream to all the rogue and intimidating cops out there "GUN!" I doubt I could pull the trick like we do in airports with our classified.  We have official memorndums that state we cannot open up our classified at the airport, and if they detain us, they have to bring in a big shot from the TSA and then it becomes a big mess. 

I don't think the briefcase trick would work out there in Occupied Territory.  Otherwise I would bring along a less expensive pistol.
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful, and bear considerable watching.

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »
I thought about taking along something, but even a less expensive pistol in a GI issued official case would just scream to all the rogue and intimidating cops out there "GUN!" I doubt I could pull the trick like we do in airports with our classified.  We have official memorndums that state we cannot open up our classified at the airport, and if they detain us, they have to bring in a big shot from the TSA and then it becomes a big mess. 

I don't think the briefcase trick would work out there in Occupied Territory.  Otherwise I would bring along a less expensive pistol.

30 years ago, when I worked for Treasury, there was a much more enlightened approach within the federal government when it came to marijuana. Basically, "if you do it, we don't want to hear about it". Field offices would be visited by employees from other offices who would drop off a lid or two along with the official correspondence. They always carried the stuff in those sealed blue pouches that were emblazoned.. "Confidential Materials. Access by Unauthorized Personnel is Prohibited."

That was the old days... today, they're so uptight, you couldn't pound a sewing needle up their rear-end with a sledge hammer.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"