Author Topic: Hey  (Read 2557 times)

Offline thebeninator

• Reader
Hey
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:29:54 AM »
  I found my way to the Free State Project through wikipedia, but wasn't really feeling the whole New Hampshire thing, but was pretty psyched when I found a Wyoming one, because I've been considering moving there anyway, but not anytime soon.
  I'm 18 years old, grew up the first 15 years of my life in southern California, then we moved to Idaho Falls, ID. My parents had been big listeners of Rush Limbaugh all my life, and continue to be, but I didn't much care about politics until they moved here and started listening to Glenn Beck, and I became a full flung "conservative" ... that is, until I read Ezra Taft Benson's Proper Roll of Government, I believe at the suggestion of my mother, and that causes be to rethink my political views entirely. Basically what I learned from that is that man has 4 rights, the right to life, liberty, and property, and the right to defend these rights, and in the words of John Locke “For nobody can transfer to another more power than he has in himself, and nobody has an absolute arbitrary power over himself, or over any other, to destroy his own life, or take away the life of property of another”, making the only roll of government protecting these rights.

Now I’ll be leaving on a mission for my church in a few months – yes I am a Mormon – and then I’ll probably going to college afterwards, so It’ll be at least 2 years til I can move.

But this looks like a pretty sweet place so I’ll hang around til I go.

Offline alexspartan

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • My Blog
Re: Hey
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »
Hey Ben, welcome to the FSW forum.  Cool, another young person, like me - I just turned 22.  Where are you planning on going to college, BYU?  I have a friend who's going to BYU Provo right now. 

If you're interested in reading material, I recommend www.lewrockwell.com and www.mises.org, both of which are fairly economics-heavy, but both are libertarian.  Mises.org has a large selection of .pdf books available for download. 

Also, I think I speak for most people on the forum (as much as they may hate that! :D ) when I say that Boston's books are worth their weight in federal reserve notes (or will be sometime soon).  You can find a list of his books, plus related books by other authors, here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=boston+t.+party&x=0&y=0

I recommend Boston's Gun Bible first and foremost.
"Sometimes the cost of Liberty is $92 a box."

MultiCam - Turning Internet Warriors into total bad-asses since 2005.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
It's nice to know that there are some of you 'younger' guys around who are interested it carrying on for us 'crotchity old farts'!
Welcome and thanks,
Big Ugly
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline thebeninator

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:36:17 AM »
Where are you planning on going to college, BYU? 
Maybe, not because it's a church school (I wanna get out of the Mormon bubble), but because they offer mesoamerican centered anthropology and film, not too many schools offer both, and they're not too expensive.

but both are libertarian.

Oh I don't mind the libertarian party, in fact if I were to join a party, that would be the one, I just think it's a little against the spirit of libertarianism to join a political party, but, that's just me. I just don't want my political party to define my views.[/url]

And thanks for the recommendations, maybe I'll pick some up when I get done with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress :)

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »
Howdy thebeninator! Glad you found us. If you have any like minded friends be sure to send them to the forum.

Where are you headed for you mission...if it is not to personal for an online forum.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline thebeninator

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
no it's not too personal, but i just put in my papers last week, so we could be looking at 1 1/2-3 weeks till I get my call, but i'll let ya guys know :)

Offline VFTR55

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Newblood in Alta
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »
Oh I don't mind the libertarian party, in fact if I were to join a party, that would be the one, I just think it's a little against the spirit of libertarianism to join a political party, but, that's just me. I just don't want my political party to define my views.

Ditto (no Limbaugh pun intended).  ;)
"Finance has become the modern mode of warfare. It is cheaper to seize land by foreclosure rather than armed occupation, and to obtain rights to mineral wealth and public infrastructure by hooking governments and economies on debt than by invading them."   - Michael Hudson

Offline thebeninator

• Reader
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
got my call: New York New York South Mandarin speaking