Author Topic: Snowbird voters?  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
Re: Snowbird voters?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
Here are the requirements to vote in Wyoming:

In order to register to vote, you must meet the following qualifications:

* 18 years of age on Election Day;
    * U.S. Citizen;
    * Resident of Wyoming and the precinct in which you register;
    * Withdraw voter registration from any other jurisdiction, if applicable;
    * Present a valid Wyoming Driver License if you have one and if not; provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number. (If you have neither, please indicate this on the Voter Registration Application form.)
    * Not been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, has had civil or voting rights restored.
    * Nor adjudicated mentally incompetent.

http://soswy.state.wy.us/Elections/RegisteringToVote.aspx

No requirement for any length of time to define resident.  Generally, intent is all that is important:  When I was registering voters (for my local NRA affiliate club) back in the last century we would register homeless people who lived in back of 7-11's.  Hopefully if they sobered up and actually voted, they voted the right way.
Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »
Ah, I think the 6 month requirement is for hunting licenses and for tax purposes. Not voting.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline DarkSide

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:46 AM »
I believe a resident hunting requires a year of residency.

DS

Offline DarkSide

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »

DS

"hunting license"     How come I can't edit?

DS

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »
I believe a resident hunting [license] requires a year of residency.
That is correct.  Here is the document from the Fish cops:
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Resident.pdf

Note that there is an exemption for active military people (90 days).

You may find other information on the Fish and Game main site:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/index.asp

Hope this helps.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 01:19:43 AM »

During which year you have to physically reside here... 6 months.  :)  Unless you are military.

I'm just recalling this (which makes it suspect), but it's in the statutes if someone wants to dig.  :P

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 05:05:51 AM »
Ah, I think the 6 month requirement is for hunting licenses and for tax purposes. Not voting.

What taxes?

The state of Wyoming does not levy a personal or corporate income tax. Wyoming does not impose a tax on intangible assets such as bank accounts, stocks, or bonds, either. In addition, Wyoming does not assess any tax on retirement income earned and received from another state. Further, there is no legislative plan to implement any of these types of taxes.
http://revenue.state.wy.us/

The feds define residency as more than 181 days, IIRC. 

As far as hunting permits go:

23-1-107.� Residency for obtaining game and fish licenses.

(a)� Except as otherwise provided in this section, to qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag issued under this act, a person shall be domiciled in Wyoming for not less than one (1) full year immediately preceding the date the person applies for the license, preference point, permit or tag and shall not have claimed residency in any other state, territory or country for any purpose during that one (1) year period.

(b)� Each person applying for a license, preference point, permit or tag under this act shall establish his own residency status independently or as provided in this subsection or subsection (g) of this section.� A minor dependent shall qualify as a resident if:

(i)� His custodial parent qualifies as a resident under this act; or

(ii)� His noncustodial parent qualifies as a resident under this act and the minor is or will be residing in this state with the noncustodial parent during any portion of the calendar year in which the license, permit or stamp is to be used or in the case of a preference point the calendar year in which the preference point is to be accumulated.

(c)� A person other than a minor dependent qualifying under subsection (b) of this section, shall lose his residency in Wyoming if he moves to another state, territory or country and makes it his domicile, or makes any claim of residency for any purpose to that state, territory or country.� Provided he does not claim residency in any other state, territory or country for any purpose, a person shall not gain or lose residency in Wyoming merely by reason of his presence in or absence from the state while:

(i)� Temporarily employed in the service of the United States;

(ii)� A patient at a hospital or institution; or

(iii)� Serving full time for a period not to exceed four (4) years in an established volunteer service program for religious, charitable or humanitarian purposes.

(d)� A person shall lose his residency in Wyoming if he resides in any other state, territory or country for an aggregate of one hundred eighty (180) days or more in a calendar year, unless he qualifies as a resident under subsection (b), (c), (e) or (f) of this section. A person who resides in any other state, territory or country other than Wyoming, for less than an aggregate of one hundred eighty (180) days in a calendar year, may maintain residency in Wyoming under this act only if he qualifies as a resident under subsection (b), (c), (e) or (f) of this section or if:

(i)� The person had originally established residency by being domiciled for one (1) full year in Wyoming prior to leaving the state for a temporary purpose;

(ii)� The person's domicile or established, fixed and permanent home consists of real property situated in Wyoming. A mailing address is not sufficient evidence of domicile or a permanent home. Mere ownership of real property is not sufficient evidence to establish domiciliary intent;

(iii)� The person is absent from Wyoming on a temporary basis and has the intention of returning to the state; and

(iv)� The person makes no claim for residency in any other state, territory or country for any purpose during the time the person is absent from Wyoming.

(e)� A person may remain a Wyoming resident while attending school in another state, territory or country if:

(i)� The person does not pay resident tuition fees; and

(ii)� The person continues to maintain Wyoming residency and does not claim residency in any other state, territory or country for any purpose.

(f)� Any active duty member of the armed forces of the United States who has been stationed in Wyoming for ninety (90) days shall qualify as a resident under this section so long as the member remains stationed in Wyoming. Any person serving in active military duty in any other state, territory or country, may maintain resident status if the person:

(i)� Is not a civilian employee of the military;

(ii)� Makes no claim of residency in any other state, territory or country for any purpose; and

(iii)� Was a resident of Wyoming when he entered the military service and Wyoming remains his declared home of record or the person:

(A)� Makes no current claim of residency in any other state, territory or country for any purpose;

(B)� Has established his home of record in Wyoming; and

(C)� Has maintained his voter registration in Wyoming.

(g)� The spouse and minor dependents of a person qualifying as a resident under subsection (f) of this section shall qualify as resident for the same periods unless they have made a claim of residency in any other state, territory or country for any purposes during those periods.

(h)� An applicant shall provide proof of residency and swear to an oath of residency when making application for, or attempting to purchase, a resident license, preference point, permit or tag under this act. License selling agents and the department shall consider as documentary evidence of residency any of the following:

(i)� A Wyoming driver's license, identification card issued under title 31 of the Wyoming statutes, or a copy thereof;

(ii)� A copy of the applicant's school records or military form DD 214, which indicates Wyoming as the applicant's domicile and home of record;

(iii)� A proof of residency statement on a form provided by the department that has been completed and signed by the applicant. Any active duty member of the armed forces, his spouse or minor dependent of the active duty member making application for or purchasing a resident license, preference point, permit or tag shall be required to complete and submit the proof of residency statement; or

(iv)� A minor dependent may use as proof of residency the documentary evidence of his parent or legal guardian.

(j)� The commission may promulgate rules and regulations in accordance with the Wyoming Administrative Procedure Act to ensure that only bona fide Wyoming residents as defined in this act are issued resident game and fish licenses, preference points, permits and tags.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx?file=titles/Title23/T23CH1AR1.htm

And as far as tuition:

(d)� Any person including the spouse and any child of that person shall qualify as a resident for purposes of tuition at the university if:

(i)� His principal employment is located within Wyoming and the income from his employment is the principal source of income for his family;

(ii)� He pays Wyoming taxes as required by law;

(iii)� He has been employed within Wyoming for at least a majority of the twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding application for resident tuition pursuant to this subsection;

(iv)� He resides in a state with a law substantially similar to this subsection; and

(v)� At the time of enrollment and in accordance with requirements of the enrolling institution, the person, his spouse or any child of that person submits to the university or community college a notarized affidavit attesting to the requirements of this subsection.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx?file=titles/Title21/T21CH17.htm

Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »
What taxes?

The taxes a person would have to pay in another state, if he were not physically residing in Wyoming for at least 180 days.  :)

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 08:05:41 AM »

What's the requirement for Wyoming? Just living there? We'd like to register to vote as soon as we move.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline springtime10

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 06:03:19 PM »
I think you have to live somewhere MORE than you live anywhere else to (legally) vote: my neighbors reside in Alaska but are only there 4 months a year these days: they live about 2  months here in Utah and the rest of the time they travel, visit friends and family etc. They have a business and own a home in Alaska and they keep their Alaska residency for voting purposes. So it depends upon your lifestyle.
springtime06

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
What's the requirement for Wyoming? Just living there? We'd like to register to vote as soon as we move.

I wrote about my brief experience here, and Paul quotes the rules in detail:
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=168.msg480#msg480

Residence is the place where a person has a current habitation and to which, whenever he is absent, he has the intention of returning;
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"