Author Topic: Would like to learn more about Wyoming  (Read 3148 times)

Offline MayorCurley

Would like to learn more about Wyoming
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »

Hi, All,

I am a very independent minded person.  I want the Federal Government basically out of my life.  I want to run my own life and be part of a free society.

Where can I find a place in Wyoming with beautiful property, nice scenery, low taxes and good people?

I am a software engineer and love the outdoors.  I really want very limited government and a nice plot of land, where I can grow food and have some space.

I have a wife and a young son and a dog.  At any given time, I would like to own a bunch of dogs.  I'm also in to shooting trap and just target practice.

Thanks for your help.  Any experiences with great places to live that might have technology jobs.

John

A Big Ron Paul Supporter

Offline innov8r

• Social Type
Re: Would like to learn more about Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:26:32 AM »
welcome MayorCurley!

i think you have found the right place for answers in that regard, but i can't provide them since i'm trying to get out there myself.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »

The best advice I believe is to take some time, come out here and do some snooping. Meet the FSW folks at the jam next month.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »
Speaking of snooping, I was thinking about passing through that state sometime in the next month or so.
Are there any noteworthy touristy things like the worlds surliest llama, biggest hole in the ground, broken
toaster museums, or anything that might kill 3-4 hours and provide some sort of amusement to break up a
roadtrip ?

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »
Are there any noteworthy touristy things like the worlds surliest llama, biggest hole in the ground, broken
toaster museums, or anything that might kill 3-4 hours and provide some sort of amusement to break up a
roadtrip ?

You might enjoy the gun museum in Cody.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:27 PM »
I'm looking at probably going mainly along highway 30 and interstate 80 when headed to nebraska, kansas, etc.
Probably nothing overly scenic along old established highways and interstates. I-77 through the appalachians
being the rare exception. I-75 by comparison was one long yawn except for a few interesting bits in Kentucky.

Someone mentioned WWV in Ft Colins, but that seems a fair sized detour just to see a radio mast.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »

You might want to try I-90 through So. Dakota. Its a little more of a tourist trap than Nebraska, if you like that sort of thing. As far as scenery they're both about the same til you get to the black hills at Rapid City. Then swing down Hi way 16 into Wyo. at Rapid. Beautiful drive through the canyon to Newcastle. And there are several FSW's in Newcastle and in Crook County. The Jam will be in Osage I believe in June again
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
Did the I-90 thing before, not too bad. I-80 and highway 30 seem more direct for where I'm going. Is southern
Wyoming a barren wasteland to be avoided at all costs of something ?

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:58:06 AM »

Southern Wyo. a wasteland?? Not at all. You come from any direction you prefer. I was just answering a question.
"
 Thomas Paine

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 04:36:16 PM »
Fort Bridger - Fort Steele - Ames Monument - Wyoming Territorial Priaon - Geological Museum at Univ. of Wyo. - The old Governor's Mansion... etc., etc.

If you don't find something... you ain't looking very hard.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »
That sounds like a good start. As to the wasteland question, your average highway map doesn't include details
indicating if you are going across some sort of desert filled with hungry coyotes, scorpions, and bored mormons.
It's always best to avoid that sort of surprise if possible. ;)

Offline Sodbuster

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
The Heartland Military Vehicle museum in Lexington, Nebraska is good if you like that kind of thing. It did start my latest bad habit though.

Offline Bigduane

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
Okay MichiganEscapee I will bite: Why should one be worried about bored mormons??  :P :P
 Bigduane
Why am I not in Wyoming Already? Because I have been lazy for years. I am coming to visit in 2010. To live forever in 2012. Look out Wyoming!!

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »
Well now, a bored mormon can't smoke, drink, sip coffee, or other similar timekillers.
Obviously something has to give. I would name examples, but they would tend to
single out the guilty parties.