Author Topic: Will be heading over as soon as I can  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Soon2brefugee

• Reader
Will be heading over as soon as I can
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
Greetings from Milwaukee . . .

Been wanting to get out of this hell hole for a while now and after our recent summer vacation the wife has agreed to moving to Wyoming (finally) . . . the only catch is I have to wait until I retire . . .  She didnt like the idea of throwing my pension out the window.  So instead of 7 years I'm looking at a target more like 12 years.

Until then I'm gonna finish up my time as a Milwaukee Firefighter/Paramedic, keep reading as many of the local Wyoming papers I can get my hands on and keep a look out for a hundred acres or so and scout out as much as my work schedule will allow me and try to survive this nanny state tax hell.  I'm literally counting down the shifts I have left to work b4 my official refugee status can start.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
The Declaration of Arbroath 1320

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Will be heading over as soon as I can
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
Greetings! Haven't been to Milwaukee in many decades. My dear uncle worked his entire life at Pabst. I don't imagine they're still there? Does Milwaukee produce anything anymore? Just wondering.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Soon2brefugee

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »
Pabst is contract brewed now by Miller these days, but I still wont buy it after what they did to the retires.  The Pabst brewery buildings are now in the process of being turned into low incoming housing and new commercial district (and being financed by the city).  We still have some manufacturing in the city but it's not near what it used to be, the Governor and Mayor are doing their best to run any sort of business right out of the state.  At the pace it's going Milwaukee will be as bad as Detroit by the time I can get the heck outa here  :'(
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »
She didnt like the idea of throwing my pension out the window.  So instead of 7 years I'm looking at a target more like 12 years.

I suggest that you think carefully about just what your pension will be worth twelve years from now.

After thinking it over several times, I think you will start getting very concerned.  Then very angry.

See you when you get here, whenever that may be!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
Just a suggestion: Write down the amount you think you MIGHT get from your pension. Then write an estimate of your total taxes if you stay there until you MIGHT get it - plus the cost of living...  And think about what you will do if there IS no pension at all after 12 years.

Actually, a good session of Pros and Cons, with as many of the variables as you can think of, might be very instructive.

The difference in freedom, elimination of the incredible stress I was under in California, and the idea of being part of the formation of a voluntary society for mutual aid and defense were the major factors in my decision to quit an almost (otherwise) perfect job and retire early - thereby losing the  promise of a very good pension. In the four years since I left, the 401k accounts of all my former co-workers have been trashed. I got out with more money than they will ever see, and that wasn't much.

But I would have come if I'd had to leave the whole thing behind. And I'm a lot older than you are. :) You can do well for yourself here, without the pension, and without the taxes or heartache of living in occupied territory. If your wife is at all willing to live free - do it now while there is still opportunity and some freedom of movement.

Just some food for thought.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Soon2brefugee

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:13:50 PM »
I'm not counting on the pension by it's self. I also have a 457 deferred compensation plan, and I own my own home.  Prior to a law suit  we (cops and firefighters) settled a few years back I would have been pretty worried about the pension but once it was taken out of the city's hands I became a lot more comfortable with it's future.  It turned out the pension system was so over funded the city had decided to quit paying into it even though they were under a contractual obligation . . .the city also conveniently never mentioned this and while they didnt pay their share it still took our contributions.   The lump sum pay out I'll get from that the day I retire should also help us out getting established.  (Long story short they quit paying, system was still hugely over funded, and then they tried to raid the pension and give us IOU's to pay for it's out of control spending)

But yeah if it was up to just me I would have never come back to Milwaukee. . . but it's not.

If your wife is at all willing to live free - do it now while there is still opportunity and some freedom of movement.
Oh I would just LOVE to see "them" try to stop me from moving *click click*

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
The lump sum pay out I'll get from that the day I retire should also help us out getting established.

I am not sure that I and Mama Liberty made our opinions about the future clear.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but in twelve years, your pension may be completely worthless.  It will certainly be worth only a fraction of what it is today.

There are all kinds of different ways it could play out, but it is my educated opinion that ALL paper investments available to common folk will be destroyed when the economy crashes.  Naturally, the very rich will have special considerations that will allow them to remain in power; I am talking about common people here.

I suggest that you keep yourself informed and be prepared to protect your wealth.  Good luck and all the best.
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »
Let's see 12 years, 10% food/fuel/medical inflation per year...

72 / 10 % = so you'll need to DOUBLE your investment every 7.2 years to just keep even...

Now if deflation develops as some folks predict the hyper-active printing of dollars may have no effect...now I wonder what are the odds that decreasing prices will be "allowed" in the important sectors (as defined by the PTB & affecting everyone's lives)?

If it was me, I'd cash out, chalk any penalties up as a cost of doing business, pay off as much current debt as possible...and walk away for the improved mental & physical health and location of the entire family.  Oh, wait...that's exactly what we did... ;D

MANUMIT

"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Soon2brefugee

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »
unfortunately it's a chance I have to take for now . . . but if it means me walking to Wyoming and living in a pup tent so be it

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
unfortunately it's a chance I have to take for now

No.  Wrong.

You are a free person.  You can choose to do whatever you wish.  Obviously there are costs and consequences to your actions.  But please do not lie to yourself and say that you have no choice in this or that.

Even if there is a law saying you are required to do this or do that, YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

Even if someone has a gun to your head, YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

Unless there is an alien being plugged into your brain, YOU HAVE A CHOICE.  Please don't be dishonest and unfairly limit yourself.

Offline Soon2brefugee

• Reader
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
I also have a wife which I prefer to keep (at least for now)  :P
I retire 26 MAR 2021. I will be in WY 27 Mar 2021 . . . as long as at least 1 road is passable

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
She didnt like the idea of throwing my pension out the window.  So instead of 7 years I'm looking at a target more like 12 years.

I suggest that you think carefully about just what your pension will be worth twelve years from now.

After thinking it over several times, I think you will start getting very concerned.  Then very angry.

See you when you get here, whenever that may be!

Cash it in, take the tax hit, give Caesar what Caesar thinks is his, and move to Wyoming!

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.