Author Topic: Moving to Wyoming! Enough yackin' about it, we're DOING it.  (Read 34121 times)

Offline DebraJean

• Reader
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • RADIO FREE NESTLANDIA - The Voice of a Two-Person Nation in Wyoming
Re: Moving to Wyoming! Enough yackin' about it, we're DOING it.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
Hope that you can get here and make WY your home.

I had hoped to be able to provide a much more eloquent welcome but due to a situation gone awry this is all I can muster at this time.

Brandy ~W~

Thank you, Brandy. Much appreciated.   ;D

Hope things calm for you soon. 

(As an aside, I really like the sentiment under your avatar pic, and concur wholeheartedly!)
Howdy! I'm Debra Jean, wife of MichaelWDean.
====-
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline socalserf

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman RWVA Instructor
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »
Congratulations on your up coming move.
I'm GREEN with envy.
You folks are very fortunate to have a mate who is on the same wave length.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 07:22:23 PM »
Congratulations on your up coming move.
I'm GREEN with envy.
You folks are very fortunate to have a mate who is on the same wave length.

Shucks! Thank you.

Well, we influence each other. She influenced me politically. She was always a Republican (with libertarian leanings, her dad turned her on to Heinlein when she was ten). I voted Democrat (sorry!) but also called myself an anarchist. (WTF?)

But somehow politics never came up until I decided to buy a shotgun, after someone tried to break in while we were home. She was originally very against the shotgun. But now we have five guns, she's a much better rifle and pistol shot than me. And she pours over gun catalogs and NRA magazines with the fervor of a college-age male looking at Playboy. ("Daddy! May I please have the pink Ruger .45 with the laser site for my birthday?")

We're now both registered with the Libertarian Party and both see liberalism as a creeping disease. It's been a long, wonderful trip from there to here.

One of the things that I brought to the table was the idea of gettin' the fudge outta California. I've lived all over, and never felt a lot of roots to any place, she's been very stable and also lived here in SoCal her whole life (except a few years in San Antonio and Houston, which she didn't much like).

We did a lot of research starting about a year before we got guns or heard of FSW. We'd narrowed it down to West Virginia or Washington State, but then I got You and the Police and fell down this gleeful rabbit hole and, well, that about brings you up to today.

We are going to live in Wyoming before the snowfall, hopefully a good bit sooner if the stars align. Her last day of work (of 15 years at the same place) is this coming Friday. We're both joyful about the future.

We feel blessed.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline DebraJean

• Reader
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
I'm SO happy to be married to this wonderful man, and so happy that we're moving to Wyoming!

And Michael, my dear husband, happy birthday Sir! Here's to the next 45 years!

--DebraJean
====-
"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »
I voted Democrat (sorry!) but also called myself an anarchist. (WTF?)

That's not hard to explain.  A Democrat believes that he/she is an upstanding person and should be left alone, but EVERYONE ELSE is a greedy and mean-spirited psychopath just waiting for the chance to commit a crime, and that is why OTHER PEOPLE need to be tightly controlled.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
I voted Democrat (sorry!) but also called myself an anarchist. (WTF?)

That's not hard to explain.  A Democrat believes that he/she is an upstanding person and should be left alone, but EVERYONE ELSE is a greedy and mean-spirited psychopath just waiting for the chance to commit a crime, and that is why OTHER PEOPLE need to be tightly controlled.

Exactly!!!!! Never heard it put it so succinctly.

Two other influences: my dad is a staunch Republican, and part of young people defining themselves is deciding what they're not, and it's always easy for young people to pick whatever their parents are as what they're not.

But moreover, my two older sisters, who helped raise me while my parents were both working, are very very liberal. One of them is even Sufi (which is sort of like a Muslim without the RPGs.)

When I read Molon Labe, and got to the (hilarious) part of the FedCop on the airplane (The one who told security "You're not smart enough to search my shoes!"),....you know that woman sitting on the plane next to him? The one who the FedCop can completely profile just by looking at her....(vegan, drives a Swedish car, reads Mother Jones, etc. etc..)....Well, reading that I thought "Wow! This reads as if Boston has sat next to both of my sisters on a plane!" (I have a theory that all of Boston's male characters, good guys and bad, have some Boston in them, at least in the positive and/or badass parts of their makeup. Boston...have you ever wanted to say the things to someone on a plane that that guy says to that woman?   ;D  )

That female character is so like a cross between my two sisters. 

My sisters, despite their politics, are decent people at the core. They were both a big influence on me, and loved me dearly. And my father disciplined me, but not my sisters. They were just nifty, fun buddies to me. So I grew up thinking "liberals are cool, conservatives are blustery buzzkills."

Took me over 40 years to really figure it all out, to examine it and come more realistic conclusions.

I still love my sisters, they still love me. But one of them recently told me "Please stop e-mailing me pictures of you and DJ with guns. I read my e-mail at work, and it scares my co-workers." (She's on the staff of an East Coast Ivy League university. Her job includes things like writing books to help train social workers.)

Make sense?

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »
...it's always easy for young people to pick whatever their parents are as what they're not.....

One of my sisters is finding this out now. Her older son is 15 and a hellion, doesn't listen to authority in any form, is not a pacifist, and is very unlike his parents in most every way.

I guess when you raise a kid letting them do whatever they want to do, with no discipline, they might not listen to you when they become old enough to think for themselves a bit!

I saw this coming about ten years ago. And I smile when I think about it.

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline donnie-paul

• "I aim to misbehave" Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
YAY is right!!!

Good for you guys.

(why am I crying)
"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key" The Eagles
"Of course, secession will be necessary. We can't have the feds telling us what to do. Bad enough that after secession, the states will still want to do the same thing"  Paul Bonneau STR

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »
YAY is right!!!

Good for you guys.

(why am I crying)

Don't cry! Move!

And thank you for the "yay!".

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
We leave in less than two weeks. Packing now.

We reserved 26-foot truck, this one (this isn’t our house, but it’s the same sized truck we rented. We’re gonna tow our car behind it.)

Bought a mess o’ moving boxes. Here’s the “kitty custom agents” checking in the new shipment:

We’re incredibly psyched. We love Wyoming, and can’t wait to live there.

MWD and DJD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline LibertyJunkie

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 04:28:31 PM »
MichaelWDean,

Congratulations on your move! So what area did you guys end up deciding on? Maybe you already said and I missed it.  I wish you guys the best of luck on your move and we'll be right behind you, almost like a caravan of moving vans leaving Kalifornia.

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
    • Freedom Feens!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
MichaelWDean,

Congratulations on your move! So what area did you guys end up deciding on? Maybe you already said and I missed it.  I wish you guys the best of luck on your move and we'll be right behind you, almost like a caravan of moving vans leaving Kalifornia.

Thanks!

We're moving to Casper. Signed the lease today. Yay!

MWD
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 09:14:58 AM »
Say... do everyone a big favor, would you? Last one out turn off the lights and lock the door. Anyone still there after that can just like it or lump it. LOL
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:15 AM »
Very exciting news!
Thanks for moving to Wyoming!
Casper FSWers take note.

Boston

Offline DebraJean

• Reader
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Last one out turn off the lights and lock the door. Anyone still there after that can just like it or lump it. LOL

It'll be our pleasure!  ;D

We're so eager to be gone we're having to pace our packing so we don't box up everything we need to make it through these last few days days before we're scheduled to go.

You mentioned once that you celebrated upon setting foot in Wyoming. Frankly, my first celebration is going to be crossing out of Kalifornia and knowing I'll never have to come back again.

The real celebrations, though, will be shredding the Kali drivers licenses and taking the shotgun to the license plates (tip of the hat to you for a fine example there).

DJD

====-