Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Derka

• Reader
Introduction
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
Hello folks,
My name is Derek, many of my friends call me Derka. I have been lurking on this forum off and on for a little over six months, sorry to have not introduced myself before. I live in Washington state (for now) and I have been talking with many of my friends and acquaintances who have been to or lived in Wyoming; trying to get an idea from them as to what it's like, and my girlfriend, my best friend, and I have all come the conclusion that we'd like to live in a much more freedom oriented place.

I have not done as much reading on here as I had hoped to have accomplished, yet the three of us will be making a road trip over to Wyoming from Washington state, May 31st through June 7th, in order to get a feel for things in preparation for a move. We haven't decided on an area yet, although south of Casper and many areas of Crook county look like they have the nice mountainous terrain that we like.

Recent events have pushed our plans forward a bit faster than usual, seeing as we have to be out of our apartment by June 24, when we thought we had until the end of August. We're looking for a place to rent and a couple of jobs until we find a place we'd like to buy or property to build on. Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
Hi, Derka,
If you come through the Lander/Riverton area, give a shout.
There are a few of us here and we could always do an "open-carry" lunch.
What kinds of work are you all looking for?

Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline Derka

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the offer Big Ugly, but I don't think we'll be going by that side of the state. None of us are too comfortable with the idea of being THAT close to a caldera the size of Yellowstone. As far as work goes, I'm not all that picky. I've done various construction jobs (roofing, gutters, plumbing, hvac), worked in a couple warehouses, worked for a catering business. I'm currently working as a supervisor with a contract security company and running a custom knife shop on the side with my best friend Chris (which I plan on turning into a business). Chris does not need a job, as he works on oil tankers and is out of town for months at a time. My girlfriend however is currently in the cleaning business, and she has no interest in continuing with that as a career and wants to eventually run a "bed and breakfast" type inn.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »
Derka, I'm a geologist!
If the Caldera goes up - ain't nuthin' safe!
A 'minor' eruption will do much more to Cody, Gillette, and probably Casper than it will here.
Hey! Gotta take the good with the bad right?

Be Safe,
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »
Derka, I'm a geologist!
A 'minor' eruption will do much more to Cody, Gillette, and probably Casper than it will here.

Be Safe,

Only way to make that area safe would be to heatsink the place like crazy to generate power.
After four or five hundred years you might cool the area down enough to divert the eruption center
somewhere safe, say more in the direction of california.  ;D

Offline Derka

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »
Derka, I'm a geologist!

Be Safe,

Only way to make that area safe would be to heatsink the place like crazy to generate power.
After four or five hundred years you might cool the area down enough to divert the eruption center
somewhere safe, say more in the direction of california.  ;D

In all honesty, my concern is not the safety of the area itself, but having time to get out when warning signs appear. The closer you are, the more people will be in your way as you leave. Almost any damage to property can be fixed or property replaced and is therefore irrelevant in an emergency situation. I have no qualms with taking the good with the bad, so long as the bad does not drastically outweigh the good. In Wyoming, I have very little fear of that happening.

To get this back on topic a little, I'll ask a little more specifically, does anyone know of places for rent in the vicinities of Gillette, Sundance, or Casper (maybe even Sheridan) that they would recommend or know/know of anyone who is hiring, maybe even short term? I’ve got barely a week now to prepare, and I’d like as many ideas from people who are there as to where we should look for short term residence while the search for long term residence begins. Finding work is secondary to finding residence, as we have enough money stored up to hold us for a few months or so.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
To get this back on topic a little, I'll ask a little more specifically, does anyone know of places for rent in the vicinities of Gillette, Sundance, or Casper (maybe even Sheridan) that they would recommend or know/know of anyone who is hiring, maybe even short term?

I know this is not a direct answer to your question (sorry), but you may find the classified sections of the Casper, Gillette, and Sundance papers helpful:
http://www.trib.com/admarket/
http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/classifieds/
http://www.sundancetimes.com/timessite/classifieds.htm
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Derka

• Reader
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:19:07 PM »
To get this back on topic a little, I'll ask a little more specifically, does anyone know of places for rent in the vicinities of Gillette, Sundance, or Casper (maybe even Sheridan) that they would recommend or know/know of anyone who is hiring, maybe even short term?

I know this is not a direct answer to your question (sorry), but you may find the classified sections of the Casper, Gillette, and Sundance papers helpful:
http://www.trib.com/admarket/
http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/classifieds/
http://www.sundancetimes.com/timessite/classifieds.htm

Thank you.

This is actually much better information than I have found by searching through all sorts of sites including Craigslist, realtors sites, job searching sites, and everything else I had thought of. Never crossed my mind to check classifieds listings.  :-[

And please, don't be sorry. You're being helpful.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Derka,
WY is behind the times re: Internet. Many businesses around here don't have a web site and wouldn't know one if it bit them! Many of the contractors I've worked with don't even use email. They actually expect you to CALL them on the phone! There are many things you simply won't find on the Internet. People still favor a face to face sit down over a cup of coffee. It's a slower, and someone older, way of life here. I love it!

Welcome to the forum too!

If you think you might be in the Crook County area, PM me with your phone # and we can get together if you want. I live near Devil's Tower.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
Howdy Derka, don't worry about yellowstone, you will probably have warning ,but if that thing goes I am not sure if there will be a place to run to. Have a good trip to Wyoming.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
West of the cascades, north of alberta, east of the appalachians, or south of the new mexico plateau country should cover it.
This is of course based on residue from the last big blowout, mileage may vary. The wave of death did tend to taper off
around the Nebraska border with Iowa, at least for the american rhino thing. Smaller animals may well have hidden out a little
better, or enough animals may have remained alive to shred their remains and leave little fossil record.

Something wiped out the clovis culture all the way to south america, but noone is quite sure what. People simply weren't numerous
enough in the new world to leave a whole lot on the fossil record. Either way, if something goes down, it would be nice if we
weren't on real bad terms with Mexico, Canada, or wherever we can park 200 million people that can't be hidden underground for
three to six months.

Offline Derka

• Reader
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »
Wow. You guys are having a lot of fun with this topic!

As I said earlier, I'm not that worried, past the point of not wanting to live within the direct vicinity. I am currently in the lahar path of Mt. Rainier, up here in Washington, so living near a volcano is not new to me. As I understand it, in many places in Wyoming I should be more concerned about getting hit by lightning, as the human form is the tallest thing in the area. That will be something I'm not used to!

I PMed you Mac. Thanks.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:36:52 PM »
Oh, Hell, No, Derka!
There's always some kinda gulley to fall into ... and we got sagebrush taller than most!
 :)

Truly, there's a lot of different and varied country out here.
A lot of it is sparse, but therein lies a particular beauty all it's own.

Wyoming is kinda like the bagpipes .... you either hate it, or you love it!
There ain't much middle-ground.

Come on up and have a look.

Offline Michigan Escapee

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »
Wow. You guys are having a lot of fun with this topic!

As I said earlier, I'm not that worried, past the point of not wanting to live within the direct vicinity. I am currently in the lahar path of Mt. Rainier, up here in Washington, so living near a volcano is not new to me. As I understand it, in many places in Wyoming I should be more concerned about getting hit by lightning, as the human form is the tallest thing in the area. That will be something I'm not used to!

I PMed you Mac. Thanks.

Ha, yeah, more to worry about in that part of washington than the barely alive Mt Ranier. Renton traffic off of boeing is worse than
any volcano, and it happens twice a day. Nerd avalanches toward the local Fry's every time an add sheet or new tech toy comes out,
the UFO fanboys living in the Issaquah highlands driving priuses and rotting their brains with PSPs, and lets not forget the geniuses in
Olympia and Seattle who decided that while they can't afford to replace the alaskan way viaduct with the compromised plan, they can
somehow afford to dig a tunnel at 2-3 times the cost of the project that got the votes.  :P

There are days I wish I hadn't quit using drugs all those years ago, usually those tend to match up with days when I watch the local news, or read the newspaper.  >:(
paper. 

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »
Derka derka, mohammad jihad ;D Hey seriously, look me up if yer in Laramie. ~W~