Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 4516 times)

1bretsnyder

Greetings
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:56:44 PM »
Hello there. I am a young'un currently residing in Alberta, Canada, and I am greatly interested in the FSW. I was previously looking at the FSP in NH, but, being a cultural Westerner and being so in love with the nature of the West, I just didn't want to move to the East. Needless to say, when I found out about the FSW, I was quite happy.

It seems I wouldn't be able to move to WY until 3-5 years from now, but I would still like to figure things out beforehand. I live in the wide open Southeast portion of Alberta, and I want to live in a county with similar geography (prairie, grassland, etc.) a relatively low population, and, especially, a low population density. I am currently considering Campbell county, but I am not sure of its landscape and geography.

Is there anything I may wish to be forewarned of about Wyoming? The climate certainly shan't be an issue for me, I assure you.  ;D

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
welcome brett,

If you read through the threads here you will find any/all the info you could possibly imagine. Good luck in your search and if you come for a visit be sure to look up those already in the areas you plan to see. There is a wealth of knowledge.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Howdy, Brett,

We have guns ..... we have lots of guns!!!!!
Oh, and attitude, lots of attitude!!!

But, we're pretty nice too!

I have a friend from Calgary (works up in the patch) who made the remark about the guns a long time ago on a visit down here.
He's always been envious of our freedoms concerning guns in Wyoming.

Welcome, jump on in and have a look-see!
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

1bretsnyder

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

Indeed colonialshooter, I've found the forum to be full of great info within the short amount of time I've been on here.

We have guns ..... we have lots of guns!!!!!
Oh, and attitude, lots of attitude!!!

But, we're pretty nice too!

I'm no stranger to guns or attitude, being a country boy, and I've found the the private citizens with guns and a liberty-oriented attitude are generally the nicest. I can barely wait to be able to legally carry, that'll be a great change. However, I don't think I'll be able to comfortably adjust to the Fahrenheit system. I don't know how you guys do it...  :o

Look forward to contributing and (especially) learning more.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:15:34 PM »
Brett,
The fahrenheit (bless you for knowing how to spell it!) system is simple!

Freezing is still freezing!
-40 = -40
water boils at a lower temperature in Wyoming (cook stuff a few minutes longer)
When it's too cold, put a jacket on and start looking for the snowshovel
When it's too hot, take off some clothes and start lookiing for the beer!

See! It's really pretty simple!

Trust me, you'll adapt in no time!
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:49:43 AM »
Welcome! I used to have good friends in Edmonton, Alberta. Even spent a week there visiting them one year. It was beautiful country and, from what I remember, you should feel right at home here. I live in Weston county, in Newcastle. Best of both worlds here with the prairie on the sounth/west and the beautiful Black Hills on the north/east. Not too many people here, but they are the salt of the earth. And we are not all that far from larger towns if the need arises.

Do plan to visit as soon as you can. We can go shooting!! :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

1bretsnyder

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
I do plan to visit as soon as is practical. But, I have a year of school left before that time comes.
Weston County seems quite nice. I will have to visit the county when I come.

Offline Rich

• Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:40:48 AM »
There are Many reasons Why Weston County is a superior county, and only this spring did I truly
understand that, and I have lived here since 2002.
When the SHTF, this is where I WANT TO BE!

Rich
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
Howdy Brett, welcome.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline jimoutside

• Reader
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »
There are Many reasons Why Weston County is a superior county, and only this spring did I truly
understand that, and I have lived here since 2002.
When the SHTF, this is where I WANT TO BE!

Rich

Ok, Rich, so what are the most prominent of those reasons? You got our curiosity up and then didn't spill the beans. And also, since you said it is "a" superior county, do you think there is one or more that are as good as it, and if so which ones? I'd really like to know so I can be thinking about locations too.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
In truth .....

You would have had to be one of the dozen or so that were there for 'incident'.

Offline Paul W. Allen

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:10 PM »
There are many 'Superior' counties within Wyoming and some of them are actually surrounded by mountains. I've spent most of my 38 years here and am pretty partial to the Wind River country. It's really awesome that we can still split hairs about this state. The main point is that you are the one that will have to decide. Wyoming winters are the same. Taxes are basically the same. The only question is 'where do you want to be?' Some like the prarie, some like the high country, some like the wastelands. Wyoming has it all. Just remember, Wyoming will have the final say. She will decide where you wind up, just give her a chance.
True freedom is only found through self reliance.

1bretsnyder

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »
Thanks all. I'll be able to visit relatively soon it seems, so I'll have more time to see what I like and what I want.