Author Topic: Immigration, Moving from Canada to USA  (Read 2651 times)

1bretsnyder

Immigration, Moving from Canada to USA
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
Does anybody have an idea of just how I would be able to immigrate to the US, considering these points: I wish to attend the Colorado School of Trades for gunsmithing before I move to Wyoming, and that I have no immediate relatives in the country?

The USCIS website has not been particularly helpful.

Any good information is greatly appreciated.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Immigration, Moving from Canada to USA
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
Personally, I'd go to the US consulate (embassy) there where you live. They can tell you the laws and give you the forms required. Anything we could tell you about immigration would be hearsay, most likely, and not wise to count on.

We can talk about finding a job, etc. once you get here.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »
If you are near a border station, go in and talk with the supervisor.
Sometimes they can be very helpful.

I lived up in da Soo for many years and there were a BUNCH of Canadians working on the American side. I once considered a 'permanent' relationship with a woman in Sault Ste. Marie and spent a good deal of time investigating a move in the 'other direction'.
It seemed that it was much easier for a Canadian to move or work in the US than the other way around.

You would, probably, need a sponsor (job & place to live) in order to change citizenship. However, a student visa should be pretty easy to obtain. Talk to the school as well as the border station. Often, the schools will have everything you need to come down as a student.

Be Safe
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

1bretsnyder

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the information guys. It looks like I'll be visiting the U.S. Consulate General in Calgary next time I'm there. I'm hoping CBP didn't make it too difficult after 9/11.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »
Quite frankly, you may be in the long run better off in Canada.
I can hardly believe that I'm saying this, but the USSA is curdling badly.

By 10 years you're likely to have better gun rights and a stronger dollar.

Boston

1bretsnyder

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
Oh I don't know about that. The Liberal Party and NDP (social democrats) are gaining quite a bit of support, and even with the slow acting Canadian parliament, the Liberals have a history of passing anti-gun legislation quite quickly, often with little to no debate.

You may be right about the dollar though.

Offline idahobob

• Social Type
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
If you are serious about Gunsmithing school, I would suggest that you look into Trinidad State College, they have about the best program for gunsmithing that there is. Plus it is in Colorado, also.

Bob
III
How to overthrow the system: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it. -- Edward Abbey

1bretsnyder

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »
I have taken a look at it, but was under the impression that it was not as good as CST. I'll have to look further into it.