Author Topic: Hello! Do I belong here?  (Read 30657 times)

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Hello! Do I belong here?
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »
"Tariffs" on imports are just as much theft by force as any other tax.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2009, 03:07:23 PM »

Voting one gang of thugs out and voting the other gang of thugs in doesn't change a damned thing in government just a different gang of thugs is all. Extortion is extortion no matter which gang is in, nothing changes. How many different governments have there been in the world in the last 5000 yrs?? Are they missed?? Nope. Whats important is humanity and we're still here. Government aint to damned important. Politicians aren't that smart doing anything except running for office which is as close to a circus act as it can be, preening and gas bagging until elected. Once they're in they're still not any smarter than what they do and thats run for office. Losers just hang out til next election, they don't get any smarter either in the interrum. Which gang do you want to root for, thats about it.

"the dogs bark but the caravan goes on."

Arab proverb
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Tornos

• Social Type
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
MamaLiberty:

Alright.  I think I am finally starting to understand your position.  Thanks for bearing with me.  No government.  Tell me if I am wrong on that, I don't want to put words into your mouth.  With no government there is no need for any sort of income raising method that burdens citizens, or even foreign entities, true enough.

I believe there are threats in the world that require an organized and funded defense to deter/repel.  We have wealth in this country, and it's naive to think that foreign empires wouldn't take it if they could.  You're right that you're not obligated to present a plan for the future.  My apologies for asking if you had a better plan to fix the situation we're in.  Please continue to just tear down my plan.

At some point it's important to not only decry the sad state of things, but to point to what might be better, and start planning how we could get there.  That's only my opinion, but I've seen no reason to change it.  For now, I continue to think the best way is through education and election of likeminded representatives who will shrink the government back down to its (intended) constitutional limits.

Jubal:

Our form of government was, when it was created, the best hope yet.  I'm for a Ron Paul sort of band of thugs.  There are some more like him in office.  I'm sorry to have to point this out, but anarchy doesn't always result in paradise, either. 

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »

Nothing said about paradise. We got kicked outta there a long time ago talkin to snakes and eatin apples remember :'( ;)
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »
election of likeminded representatives who will shrink the government back down to its (intended) constitutional limits.

Your mistake is thinking that political power is a result of elections and written laws, rather than the other way around. 
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
Tornos, I DID offer a better plan:
Leave everyone alone to work it out voluntarily with everyone else. Freedom! The free market!

Not "no government" - SELF GOVERNMENT, self responsibility in mutual cooperation with others.

What isn't needed is coercion, murder, lies and slavery.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
2)  What do you propose to do to fix the situation we find ourselves in, if you've given up on the idea of electing likeminded representatives?

I believe that if we could learn to identify the psychopaths and stop "feeding" them, we could probably do fine with little or no government.

But first, one needs to understand just what a psychopath is.  Here is a short essay that I think is a good intro:
http://www.strike-the-root.com/91/groves/groves1.html

Here is one my more recent posts on the subject, with links going back to previous posts:
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=7861.msg64562#msg64562

In short, about six percent of people have no conscience.  That is the part of your mind that keeps reminding you to do the right thing, and makes you feel guilty when you don't.  This just does not exist in six percent.  It has been found to be genetic and there are medical and psychological tests that can detect it.  These six percent, I believe, are directly and indirectly responsible for most of the crime, conflict, and human misery that we have.  If we could banish them, or at least find a way to immediately identify their nature and not fall under their influence, the rest of our problems would be simple matters of misunderstanding and petty emotions that could be quickly resolved.

Some people think that humans are inherently evil and need to be chained down with laws.  Without laws and punishments, everyone would be thieves and murderers.  Hogwash!  Suppose you were to ask ten of your friends the question, "If there were no laws and punishments, would you steal from your neighbor?"  Do you think all ten would say, "Hell yes!  The only thing keeping me from stealing is the police"?  Or do you think they would say, "What?  No, that would be wrong, laws or no laws"?

Most people are good, decent people that don't need the threat of punishment to do the right thing.  It is the psychopath who has no conscience about stealing or killing, and he is only concerned about whether he gets caught, and what the punishment will be.

Remove the psychopath from the system and you will probably remove 90% or more of crime, manipulation, and misery.

As for foreign invaders, please consider that if there is no nation-state, there is no politician who can surrender the nation to the enemy.  The invader will have to individually conquer each and every village, neighborhood, or home.  And then deal with uprisings the moment the troops move away to the next village.  Sure, an invading military unit might kill an entire village or town.  Depending on losses, maybe even a second one.  But defenders with nothing to lose can surely reduce an invading army to nothing.

Again, "If there is no nation-state, there is no politician who can surrender."
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
The nice thing about 'not too long ago' is that psycopaths and the like were found out and dealt with courtesy of the nearest tree and a length of rope - after a fair trial and judgement by a jury of their peers, of course.

Now? We must coddle and soothe those very same.

I ask, "You don't try to pet a rabid dog, do you?"
Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2009, 05:09:18 PM »

A trained organized military would have to commit genocide to conquer a nation of guerillas. I do not believe there is a military made up of ordinary citizens is capable of killing all the men, women and children of any country unless they ALL were psychopaths. The 2nd Amendment is in place just for this doomsday scenario condition.
"
 Thomas Paine

Offline Tornos

• Social Type
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »
rhodges/Big Ugly:  Yes, there are the psychos.  There are quite a lot of folks who can put their conscience out of the way if the reward is great enough too.  I get to see it a lot.  They make up their own codes to justify their offenses against others.  As you say, the solution to crime is a stronger penalty for true criminals.  And less (or no) resources spent on "crimes" of social conscience.

jubal:  An invader does not need to conquer and permanenty subdue an entire country to rape it of its resources, and steal its wealth.  We need to protect against lesser aggressions than total conquest/annihilation.

I want the government to leave me (and you) alone, too.  I want to put it back in its cage (the constitution).  I'd like to fix a couple of holes in that cage and make its bars stronger, so it doesn't escape again.  I'd like us all to stand watch outside of that cage with our guns, pitchforks and torches just in case.  But I think there are a couple of things (national defense being the most important) that need to be done on an organized national level.  It's cool with me if we don't agree 100%.  Any change in that direction from what we have now will be a good thing.

adambomb

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2009, 07:28:12 PM »
Wowwee, 2 weeks away from the internet, and quite the discussion has developed!

I agree that anarchy holds the best ideal for society as a whole.  I believe that any other system only fights the laws of nature.  However, I still have my reservations about whether or not it could be a practical solution in our lifetime.  As long as other nations pose a threat, I have pretty strong doubts.  Because of this I'm much more inclined to the minarchy solution.  I think that early America was a big step in the right direction...this "new constitutional convention" talk sounds intriguing.  I think we need a "reset" on the system, and maybe this time we could nudge the new system in a direction that was even more laissez fairre than early America.  Especially the electoral system, which is fairly obsolete in the information age.  Not an ideal solution, but certainly more achievable.  The system laid out in Molon Labe looked like a pretty good baseline to me.

My biggest concern is the military one.  It is true, even with modern weaponry an army could not conquer a nation of guerrillas...the fact that there is still ongoing conflict in Afghanistan is proof positive of this.  Never mind the image of Americans that most other nations hold.  Just have to remember the quote from the WWII Japanese general who decided on attacking Pearl Harbor:  "it would be suicide to attack the mainland U.S., there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."  We also just got in a new student here who just escaped from China, and he honestly believed that there was mandatory military service for every able man in the U.S.  Every foreign perspective I've heard paints Americans as some of the most violent, well-armed, indomitable savages out there.

That being said, if there was a large, unclaimed tract of fertile land full of vast resources and hard-working, creative people, I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be a powerful country that would try to plant their flag here.  Just look at the other recent post here that depicts how America could, imaginitively, be carved up like Thanksgiving dinner.  And true, they may well come and wipe out a few cities, but could we not avoid that expense by simply maintaining a government with almost no practical power over the people, that was able to "provide for a common defense?"  Say what you will about the military, but also take note of the number of battles involving foreign forces that have occurred on U.S. soil in the last 150 years.  I'm more inclined to go with Teddy Roosevelt on this one, "speak softly and carry a big stick."  Also remember that in America, it is patriotic to hate the government.

As for the police, pardon my non-expertise on the subject (You and the Police is near the top of my must read list), but I have made quite a few observations over the years.  I have found that most of my friends who are cops fall into the "peace officer" category, while most cops I encounter during their professional duties fall more often than not tend towards the bullyish asshole category.  I think that speaks for a fair number of people here who have little nice to say for the police.  Granted, these observations are affected by the fact that I tend not to make friends with bullyish assholes, but it all still doesn't quite add up to claim that the majority of cops are bullies. 

Instead, I surmise that the bullyish assholes are just more inclined to intervene (especially in mala prohibitum matters), whereas peace officers would simply give a nod and move along.  The asshole officer will daily ruin 30 random peoples' day, while the peace officer will only act on something they perceive to be an honest offense, and may only even interact with a handful of people a day.  Would be nice to get some feedback from someone who sees this sort of thing daily though, who could give a more professional opinion.

I also don't think it's fair to blast cops and service members as thieves.  Not to say that the accusation is false, but it really doesn't tell the whole story.  Yes, by just the right train of logic it can be deemed true, but it's really nothing more than a skillfully crafted low blow.  Would you rather that the military and police force were made up solely of thugs?  The military and police are a reality in today's world, that much is absolutely certain.  And as long as the government is training people in the military and law enforcement crafts, and as long as they are still accepting liberty-minded people, what is there to lose?  Like they say, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"  Also, consider this:  only 3% of the American populace overtook the British Army at its peak.  If 3% of those in the military were of the same persuasion, what impact could they have on the military as a whole?  Who would have more influence, the minority of the "Pavlov's Dog" types, or the minority of those who fought for something they believed in their hearts?  What course would the majority of the military then follow?

Also, while we're playing the numbers game, does anyone else find it sickly ironic that 6% of all people are tyrant sociopaths, while 3% will fight for liberty?   :-[

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
Shawn, I believe the purpose of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of These United States was for National Defense!
An armed body of private Citizens, trained, willing, and able - to be deputized by the County Sheriffs, called to duty by the Governors of the Sovereign States Several, or placed under the temporary control of the Commander in Chief of These United States, as necessity dictates.

The Militias of the States States Several and the Committees of Safety were the means by which the Federal Government was to be kept in their cage, so to speak. The problem is, we've forgotten who WE THE PEOPLE really are and who the Militia really is and what our purpose is supposed to be. The key, I think, is to get Sheriffs who truly understand their purpose as regards the Constitution, and the law enforcement arms of both State and Federal. As exhibited in Weston County, last June, the Sheriff IS the legal authority in a County and is superior to both State and Federal.
If my limited understanding of this is thought to be in error, please (anyone) feel free to comment.

Clean them,<br />Load them,<br />Keep them near at hand.<br />Remember Capt. Parker.<br /><br />\\\"Les hommes sages n\\\'ont pas besoin conseil. Idiots ne le prendront pas.\\\"

Offline Tornos

• Social Type
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »
adambomb:  This probably doesn't bode well for you, but I agree with every word of your post.  Even the part about anarchy might be the ideal situation in a perfect world... a world where opportunists don't marshal huge masses to conquer/kill others.  That would be as close to paradise as possible on this Earth, and government would be obsolete.

I also agree wholeheartedly about the percentage of cops who contact the public skewing perception.  There are professional ticket writers who pull over (and cite) 15-20 people a day on the highways.  Then there are officers like me, who might take a burglary, theft or domestic violence report on a typical day... and pull over a couple of people but not cite them.  As long as our localities are addicted to the money they get from traffic fines, the image of all officers suffers.

Big Ugly:  While the 2nd Amendment is certainly meant for defense, I believe it is defense against our own government that was the primary motivator for its authorship.  Certainly, a militia could help a great deal against invaders.  But it would be quite the impressive, well funded, organized militia indeed that would be necessary to defeat a modern army.  I'm not sure I can even imagine private persons owning and maintaining jet fighters, tanks or naval warships on a large scale.   Nor would most folks have the time to train together, the communication equipment/protocols, and that sort of resources.  Guerillas can be an annoyance to a modern army, yes.  They can even repel a modern army through attrition, given time.  But at what cost to the homeland/population in the process?

Offline Big Ugly

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
Sorry, but the defense of the nation against our own government was not precluded in my previous post - sorry that I did not so state more specifically.
Also, as brought out by my little brother in another post where he did a 'word-by-word' of the 2nd Amendment, the term "arms" is not exclusive. Should one have the means and the desire to own and maintain a jet fighter (my father used to fly with a bunch of guys that had their own P-51 Mustangs, in the early 60's), that is his choice, is it not. Personally, I'd like to have my own PT boat, fully armed. As far as training, why not. On a squad or company level, it is entire possible - including comm gear, support infrastructure, transport, etc. I guess some would call this guerilla action, but where is the break-point? Iraq, Afganistan, and Vietnam show what a dedicated group can do against a "modern" army. Remember the Rev. War? A loosely organized 'army' of private citizen groups of militia took on the best the world had to offer. They didn't fare too badly.
Please do not think I am being deliberately antagonistic towards you or your profession. Frankly, I honour you for your apparent (sorry, but I don't know you personally, yet) stance as regards being a "Peace Officer" as opposed to being a LEO. I'm not sure what ever happened to "Protect and Serve" but and glad that there are those of you who still believe those ideals.
Be Safe!

adambomb

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »
adambomb:  This probably doesn't bode well for you, but I agree with every word of your post.  Even the part about anarchy might be the ideal situation in a perfect world... a world where opportunists don't marshal huge masses to conquer/kill others.  That would be as close to paradise as possible on this Earth, and government would be obsolete.

Why shouldn't it bode well for me?  I know not everyone here will agree, at least to some degree, and I am fine with that, as long as they don't pidgeon-hole me as some sort of orders-seeking mindless tool of destruction just because of my choice to serve in the military! 

But hey, as Boston mentioned, this isn't an anarchy org.  While there's a good number of people that can appreciate what a true anarchy would be like, what makes this forum different is that we don't just talk about how good things could be, but instead create a truly workable plan to make the best of what we've got, taking into consideration the current state and ways of the world.