Author Topic: Howdy from Mississippi  (Read 6175 times)

Offline MichaelNotMike

• FSW Associate
  • FSW friend. In Wyoming.
    • Freedom Feens!
Re: Howdy from Mississippi
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
Nope.

But it's all lower than California.
Anti-war, pro-gun.

Offline KentuckyRifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »
Do you love the state sales tax and the sky-high auto registration fees as well?

Where I moved from in Tennessee had 9.75% sales tax. Seems pretty good here by comparison.

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
OK, Hardware Hank, you bring up some things that I need to know about. How high are the auto taxes? Registration & license plates? How about liability insurance there? Isn't the sales taxes fairly low there, in comparison to other states? Here in MS it's 7% on everything.
We are in the planning stages of our trip up there in mid May next year. Saving as much money to go with what we already have saved to hopefully put a down payment on some land. Do any of you have any advice on where to look first? As I said before, we like the land up near Gillette, Upton, Moorcroft & Newcastle. But we haven't fixated on any one area. Give me your take on it.

Offline Rich

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »

Do you love the state sales tax and the sky-high auto registration fees as well?

You Know Hardware, You have ONE Damn Bad attitude here on the forum.

I for one, am as tired of it as I was Of Elks attitude, However he did provide more
substance whether or not I agreed with him.
Lighten up guy... There is no need for that level of negativity here.

Sunny:

The sales tax Is 4% state and most counties add one (1) % for a total of 5 %

Counties determine the vehicle registration costs so they vary... True they are high here
but drop as the vehicle ages to a low of 79.00 on tabs here in Weston co.

New cars can run 500.00 for a Brand new with an average of 270-370 for a 2-3 year old truck
least that is what I paid....

I pay less in sales tax and more in vehicle tax, and With NO Income tax I am WAY Ahead...

YMMV

Rich
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:57:45 PM by Rich »
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »
That sounds like similar to what we pay here. My 2005 Dodge pickup tag was $168 this year. 2005 mini van is $188. We plan to get an OLD pickup just for running the hills with soon. That one should be the lowest on the totem pole cuz I'm talking 1970 or earlier than that.
I don't 'know' anyone on here so am new to the nuances in the background. But I DO need to know about the tags along with any other taxes I may not be thinking of right now.
Thanks to all of you.

Offline Rich

• Cowboy Up, Or Go Sit in the Truck!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »
One more thing... Insurance is the cheapest I've ever paid @ about 60 a month full coverage
On 03 pk...

and you DO know me now...

Come to the Freedom Expo In June and meet a bunch of us in person!

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=8152.0

Rich
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:02:56 PM by Rich »
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."  "Sec Def Rumsfeldt"

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
OK, Hardware Hank, you bring up some things that I need to know about.

Something else of which you should be aware. It's certainly not a deal-killer, but may well be worth some thought.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:BcI-KXUiJ-AJ:www.health.wyo.gov/Media.aspx%3FmediaId%3D1053+suicide+rate+wyoming&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbSHoivTRxwhng5IO5FNtaGAAC9nQw

BTW: I'm en route to Wyoming from my old home in Indiana, following a near-decade stay in the Memphis environs, including Olive Branch, MS. I'm a-gonna miss that state flag....
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »
what the heck?  ??? suicide? Nah, if I was gonna commit suicide it would be down here in good ole Mississippi.
One thing though. Are there as many goofball, believe anything sheep in WY? They run amuck here & other places I've been recently. How dang many can there be in one place? :o
As I read through all the posts here, I feel like I know some of you real well. And I wish I was already up there so bad!
sunny

Offline Para Bellum

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
Howdy,

I figured since there was so many threads on this topic I would join in on this one as its the most recent instead of starting a new one. I guess I have a lot of the same basic questions about moving to WY as everyone else. I am currently serving in the military and I hope to complete my last 10 years to retire but I have had a back problem come up that may bring that dream to an early end. My biggest concern is find employment in my line of work. I was an MP while in the Army but I transferred services and am now an Electrician (EM) which is much more suiting for me. My wife is currently using her GI Bill to complete her nursing degree. I was wondering what the job market for these fields is like. I'm really looking forward to escaping the lost sheep here in the east and becoming involved with more intelligent, freedom-minded people of an equal caliber. Thanks.

Mike
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 06:27:33 AM »
Welcome! Please feel free to ask questions, of course, but I suspect that most of them have been answered one time or another. Do read some of the current and older threads. The search feature isn't the best, but if you put the key words of some questions in the slot, you will probably come up with quite a few threads about them.

Yes, there are still jobs in Wyoming, but you may have to be adaptable. I'll let others tell you about that. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.