Author Topic: How many people know about FSW on the Gun Boards?  (Read 9801 times)

Offline DontTreadOnMe

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FREEDOM NOW! For the future.
How many people know about FSW on the Gun Boards?
« on: February 26, 2006, 03:00:20 AM »
There may be a vast number of potential FSW supporters and members that remains untapped simply because they are unaware. There are a great deal of "Gun Boards" out there, on-line discussion boards where guns are a common thread, but not the only thing discussed. And, of course, most of these boards and their members are very freedom oriented.

Many on these boards might be quite into the FSW thing, but have never come across the idea.

I am a long-time member on www.assaultweb.net, and know of many other boards and have friends that are long time members on them as well. I think that posts from more established members might go a tad further than a guy who signed on yesterday.

Some other boards that I know of are glocktalk, AK-47.net, AR-15.com, and many, many more.

My point is this, FSW might find a very favorable reception on these boards, and could grapevine FSW awareness to much higher levels.

Shall we start a project?

-What boards?

-Do we have, or know, established members on these boards?

-What do we want to put out there and how?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:21:37 AM by FSW Forum Administrator »
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline DontTreadOnMe

Re: How many people know about FSW on the Gun Boards?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 04:59:54 AM »
I did some googling and found these:

www.gunsnet.net/forums/

www.gunboards.com/

www.gunboards.com/forums/

www.firearmnews.com/directory/index.asp?CatID=45

www.sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/140601935

www.ar15.com/forums/

www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

www.glocktalk.com

www.thehighroad.org

I googled "freedom discussion forums" and didn't find much, but this one looked promising, it's premise is a "free world order." I looked at it briefly, and it seems OK, with a like-minded population.

www.buildfreedom.com/lists/

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »
Well, DTOM, be my guest to start FSW threads on those other forums.
Likewise to anybody else.

Be sure to highlight this year's Jamboree in conjunction with Fred's Appleseed Project,
and do provide URLs to both orgs.

Offline DontTreadOnMe

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:14:26 AM »
I already did, I got 13 replies at:

http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=031299

There was some positive and negative, the highlights are:

"If all the folks in the whole WORLD moved there..nobody would be closer than about 100 feet to anybody else."

"So, I move to Wyoming. What do I do there to make a living? Even if you have a couple of million folks who all think like we do, we can't all be firearm and ammo dealers, I don't think. Those are the kind of things that throw the wrench in the works between a nice idea and a practical one. Availability of employement. Availability of housing. Infrastructure. I'd offer the speculation that if you moved five thousand people to Wyoming next month they'd have difficulty finding housing, let alone employment. And fifty thousand? Or five hundred thousand?

Chaos.That's why we don't."

"JOBS. No matter where we choose to live, we still need to make a living."

"SuperVolcano at Yellowstone seems uneasy these days..................
I want to see Wyoming soon, I used to think that Wyoming was one of the safe open spaces to live until all the talk about the potential SuperVolcano at Yellowstone .....
What if they invented that story to keep people away from the pristine wilderness....Hmmm"

"How about missouri, then I don't have to move."

"If anyone knows of any hospitals looking for Autotransfusion directors / managers please let me, I can move sooner if I stay in my current line of work"

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline DontTreadOnMe

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:13:54 AM »
Be sure to highlight this year's Jamboree in conjunction with Fred's Appleseed Project,
and do provide URLs to both orgs.

I punched up the following to continue the AWeb thread:

"JOBS. No matter where we choose to live, we still need to make a living."

Absolutely. Check out:

Jobs, Business Opportunities and Employee Recruitment

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?board=11.0

900 unfilled jobs in Crook, weston and Campbell counties

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=169.0

If you're really interested, FSW is having a Jamboree in three months up there:

3rd Annual FSW Jamboree: Worland, WY 26-29 May, 2006

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=41.0

Also involved in the Jam will be Fred's (of Fred's M14 stocks) RWVA:

http://www.rwva.org/

But, I couldn't do it.

Boston, the thread about the Jamboree and the employment threads are available only to FSW forum registrants. The links only go to a FSW forum dead end. This is understandable, but shouldn't we have public access to something about the Jam? I'm trying to work up a master "post" on FSW that I could start putting on the boards, but I need some solid links to info about the jam and Fred's Appleseed project. http://www.rwva.org/ isn't specifically "appleseed," you have to poke around to find it.

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline Atlas Shrug

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 07:57:03 AM »
DontTreadOnMe - Keep up the good work.

For links, w/r/to FSW you are right that some (most) such links are semi-private.  I'll let Boston and the FSW admins hash that out.

When it comes to RWVA and Project Appleseed, instead of just posting the www.rwva.org link, try posting this:

http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php                             which is the general Forum page

or this:

http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?board=50.0           which has Appleseed FAQs and Appleseed Details sub forums.

That might help those less enthusiastic folks get to the meat sooner.  From there, they can navigate up, around, wherever.
Keep your powder dry,

Atlas Shrug

"Ordnance trumps Ordinance"   -Atlas Shrug
"The only thing worth getting up tight about is your rifle sling."  -Bobcat

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »
from DTOM:
Boston, the thread about the Jamboree and the employment threads are available only to FSW forum registrants. The links only go to a FSW forum dead end. This is understandable, but shouldn't we have public access to something about the Jam?
You raise an excellent point; some of these categories should be viewable
by forum nonusers.  I'll get with Joseph on this.  Thanks for bringing this up!

Boston

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »
There's also these pro gun/self defense forums--

http://www.polite-society.org/

Some discussion of politics/freedom issues but not much.

http://www.suarezinternational.com/forums/upload/index.php

Plenty of discussion of politics/freedom issues but they seem to be primarily from the
'big government', 'no questioning of police behavior', authoritarian (a.k.a conservative)
is good perspective. OTOH, there are a dozen or so libertarian sorts that post there regularly.

BTW, there is a Boston T. Party registered there (that you Ken?)

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/index.php

No discussiuoin of politics/freedom issues so far.  This is a very new forum.

Can't say that anyone on these forums is much of a fan of GlockTalk at all.

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »
from sbeckman:
http://www.suarezinternational.com/forums/upload/index.php

Plenty of discussion of politics/freedom issues but they seem to be primarily from the
'big government', 'no questioning of police behavior', authoritarian (a.k.a conservative)
is good perspective. OTOH, there are a dozen or so libertarian sorts that post there regularly.

BTW, there is a Boston T. Party registered there (that you Ken?)
Yes, I registered in order to read some of the posts regarding
Gabe Suarez's guilty plea in the matter of worker's comp fraud.

Though I do not know Suarez, several of my good friends do,
and strongly discourage having anything to do with him.  He offers
nothing unique or interesting to me that would tempt me to ignore
my friends' advice.  My opinion; my caveat.

Formally, the FSW will have no connection with Suarez, and neither will I.
Y'all do what you wish on a personal level.

Boston

Offline DontTreadOnMe

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 08:22:17 PM »
A heartening reply fromAWeb:

Member # 4118

posted February 27, 2006 12:45                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the idea. It'd be nice to be in an area where your vote counts for more. And I do like the notion of all that elbow room. 

re: the Yellowstone Caldera - if that goes, at least half the U.S. will be screwed and the earth's climate will be quite changed for a long time ... being in Wyo wouldn't make you much worse off. Plus, being 'late' in the geological sense doesn't really affect us mortals.

re: winter - it's not Alaska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. ... I think the weather won't be that bad. Wear the proper clothing and be smart about it. California and Hawaii have nice weather, but there's no way in hell I'd live there.

re: jobs - the issue of finding jobs for thousands of people is a non-issue because there won't a dump of movers like that ... there will be a trickle as interested parties go to check it out and the infrastructure will increase accordingly. It might be harder for the first arrivals, but the kind of people that would vote with their feet and move towards freedom are the type of people that would be able to manage anywhere. 

-OPTIMUS PRIME

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 09:13:17 PM »
re: winter - it's not Alaska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. ... I think the weather won't be that bad. Wear the proper clothing and be smart about it. California and Hawaii have nice weather, but there's no way in hell I'd live there.

The last few days here in Hulett have been marvelous.  Today, it was at 60 and with blue skies and sun, it was downright beautiful. 

There have been a few really cold weeks this winter, but for the most part it has been pretty mild, generally between 10 and 20 during the day.  Mild?  Yes, believe it or not, 20 degree days are just fine once you get used to them.  The air is not moisture sucking bone dry like in Nevada, but it is certainly not humid that makes the biting cold like in Chicago or back East.

For the most part, the snows have been between maybe one and four inches at a time.  The highway department scrapes the roads clean pretty soon after it snows, so if you don't have a long driveway, you will probably not need chains or spiders very often.  In my case, I have a 300 foot driveway up the side of a hill, and it takes forever to melt off.  So I sometimes have to put the spiders on at the top of the hill and take them off at the bottom at the main road.  It takes two or three extra minutes.  So even a "bad case" like mine, it is really not that big of a deal.  By the way, I HIGHLY recommend spiders for winter driving here.  They are so easy to put on and take off, where chains are such a hassle.

As for those few times in winter when it was really cold, like 20 below zero, yeah that is cold.  When I had to go outside for any length of time, I put on my snow boots with the extra liner, two pairs of gloves (extra thin and thick), and even then I was getting cold after a half hour in the Bobcat.  Oh, well.  It's nice to get indoors where it's warm! :)  But those were just a few times and did not last all that long.

Please note that this is in Hulett, where there are hills and trees and all that good stuff.  If you decide to pitch your tent in Rawlins where the wind drives poor souls to suicide, it's a different thing altogether.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 09:01:45 PM »
I agree about the gun forums, there are a fair number of potential good folks there. There are also a large number of statists.

I have a couple of gun forums I post regularly on. My signature line in every post points to freestatewyoming.org. And I've mentioned the project in posts when the general subject of freedom comes up, usually Californians complaining how bad it is there.  ::)  I've almost come to the conclusion, that if shooters are still putting up with that place, they probably wouldn't be good for us anyway. All the decent ones must have bailed by now.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline biathlon

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »
I'm staff over at M-14 Forum. I'll ask the Range Officer and the XO about some friendly publicity. b

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:02:08 PM »
...if shooters are still putting up with that place, they probably wouldn't be good for us anyway. All the decent ones must have bailed by now.

Paul,
As one of those "indecent ones" that "probably wouldn't be good for us anyway" I'd like to remind you that some of us,
while fully supporting the concept of FSW, the philosophies, principles and ideas espoused here may have families that aren't exactly ready
to be uprooted on a moments notice or perhaps have other family obligations that take precedence over our personal desires.

FWIW-
My wife is currently in the middle of graduate school and working full itme, with a subsequent 3 year payback for the tuition that her employer is graciously covering.

One daughter, freshly graduated from college is in the process of establishing her professional career.

Our other daughter flies Apache's for all of us, thank you very much.

None of this means that I wouldn't like to just 'up and leave' but I think I have other responsibilities that come first.

Just because I'm currently 'serving time' in the Peoples Republik doesn't mean that I'm 'from' Kalifornia in the manner you insinuate.

I'm very happy for everyone who was already in Wyoming, has moved to Wyoming as prt of FSW, or is in the process of moving to Wyoming.

That I unfortunately can't count myself in those ranks (yet?) and that I happen to live in the PRK says NOTHING about who I am.  It may
well turn out that I can never move there.  I'm certainly unwilling to compromise my marriage for that if my wife eventually concludes she simply can't
live with the emotional / pshchological effects of the much longer winter season there. She suffered for years here in the Bay Area after living in
the Southwest much of her life.

So, Please don't paint me with that pejorative "Californian" brush you just painted all residents of this collectivist hellhole with. 

Thank you.

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 09:35:10 PM »
Sorry, that may have been somewhat a rash statement.  :-[  I actually know several very good folks living in PRK.

I guess I was looking at it personally. I have lived in Calif. and I couldn't stand the place. Bailed way before it got as bad as it is now. But I wasn't married then! Makes it a whole lot easier...

I know how marriage adds difficulty to this decision. It took me at least two years of very low pressure sales tactics to sell my wife on Wyoming. And she grew up in Hong Kong, which doesn't get much snow.   ;)  For her the solution seems to be to live half-time there and back in Oregon the rest of the time. I'll be able to stay longer. Winter, I like, and having grown up in Wisconsin don't find it to be a big deal. But I know a lot of folks go the sunbird route, even native Wyomingites. Maybe you can talk her into something like that. I've been looking at big 5th wheel trailers but haven't been able to talk her into it - yet.

Laws turn men into slaves.