Author Topic: How many people know about FSW on the Gun Boards?  (Read 9784 times)

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
Re: How many people know about FSW on the Gun Boards?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
Sorry, that may have been somewhat a rash statement.  Embarrassed  I actually know several very good folks living in PRK.
I guess I was looking at it personally. I have lived in Calif. and I couldn't stand the place.

I certainly didn't move there for the gun laws, just the job offer I couldn't refuse from by very best friend, along with the 'stars in alignment' for my wife and family.
I've been here for nearly 10 years and initially didn't mind it so much but then I started learning about things like my rights, guns...  You know all those pesky things that places like Kalifornia frown on so badly.

Bailed way before it got as bad as it is now. But I wasn't married then! Makes it a whole lot easier...
Certainly does.  If I was single I might have been gone some time ago.

I know how marriage adds difficulty to this decision. It took me at least two years of very low pressure sales tactics to sell my wife on Wyoming. And she grew up in Hong Kong, which doesn't get much snow.   Wink  For her the solution seems to be to live half-time there and back in Oregon the rest of the time. I'll be able to stay longer. Winter, I like, and having grown up in Wisconsin don't find it to be a big deal. But I know a lot of folks go the sunbird route, even native Wyomingites. Maybe you can talk her into something like that. I've been looking at big 5th wheel trailers but haven't been able to talk her into it - yet.

My wife isn't so much opposed to Wyoming or any other place in particular except that she does not move well at all.  Changes to weather patterns, seasons, etc. truly impact her.  She is actually quite 'on board' with the idea of moving from Kalifornia but she knows that it will be a long period of adjustment time.

It's not the aboslute level of bad weather (temperature, snow, etc.) but the overall length of the bad weather season that gets to her.  In Wyoming the 'good weather' is quite a short period of time compared to where we are now and where we came from in the southwest.

Not being able to go outside comfortably for months at a time is not going to sit well with her I'm afraid.  Yes, I know that appropriate dress is required, but 'comfortably' doesn't include arctic wear for her.

She's also now working at the first job that she truly likes, with people she truly likes since I met her. 

All in all, it's going to be a tough sell in some ways to change our plans from the property that we already own in Idaho to Wyoming.

Idaho was tops on our list because it was very near the top of Boston's list of best states for gun laws, and there is a VA Hospital within 20 miles (in Boise)  of where we have property, but not in the county with Boise.

We don't have infinite resources to allow us to live in multiple places at this time or the 'escape' location in a warmer climate would be my choice also.  Incurring debt to finance such an endeavor is not even close to being on the table.

No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 09:53:03 AM »
It's not the aboslute level of bad weather (temperature, snow, etc.) but the overall length of the bad weather season that gets to her.  In Wyoming the 'good weather' is quite a short period of time compared to where we are now and where we came from in the southwest.

Funny, we've taken many trips to Wyoming, including in the dead of winter (Cody area most often). Essentially every time we did, I found the weather better than where we came from (western Oregon). Yeah, it was colder in winter, but a dry cold, and often sunny, so easier to tolerate. The wind was a pain sometimes though. Spring and summer were way nicer.

Idaho ain't really a bad substitute. Not so hot on taxes maybe, but has lots to recommend it otherwise. It is part of the "Triad" that the Free West folks were pushing a while back (I was one of them). The Triad is Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. If you already have ties there, it might be good enough (Boston will probably whack me for saying it   :) ). I like Idaho a lot, been through it many times.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:56:14 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »
from Paul:
The Triad is Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. If you already have ties there, it might be good enough (Boston will probably whack me for saying it    ). I like Idaho a lot, been through it many times.
Actually, I've never "whacked" anybody for moving to (or remaining in)
Idaho or Montana vs. choosing Wyoming.  It's close enough, and they're
both great states.

Boston

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 04:20:56 PM »
This thread got sidetracked. I just can't resist the temptation though. My wife moved hear from Oklahoma and had all the same concerns about the weather too. That was BEFORE she realized that learning to ski meant that she got to buy an entirely new wardrobe. The modern fleece wear is really quite comfortable and fashionable. No bugs, no poison oak or poison ivey. Nowhere near as much fungus, mold or bacteria either. Winter is really enjoyable once you learn it. All cold means to us is that you use a hard wax and HAUL ASS! b

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 06:07:27 PM »
Yeah, I've been battling poison oak and blackberries ever since I moved to Western Oregon over 30 years ago. Got a ton of it in my yard now. When I've gone out hunting I have to take a pruning shear in my back pocket to cut through the blackberry patches. It's getting old.  :P

Of course the pests around Cody are not mosquitos, poison oak and blackberries, but grizzlies and wolves.  :D  The guy who is staying in our home there said he saw a small grizzly on the back porch one day.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 02:26:18 AM »
Most boards I'm on, gun-related or not, in the "from" field (where people put their state or region or something clever) I've put "Free State Wyoming" just to get the meme out there.
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 08:27:48 PM »
Cool; thanks for that, Jared!

Boston