Author Topic: Any Ham Radio Ops going to be at Freedom Expo 2010  (Read 15212 times)

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
Re: Any Ham Radio Ops going to be at Freedom Expo 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »
Okay... several of you guys have prodded me the last few weeks to considering hamming instead of just clowning around.  Yeah, I have extensive comms experience in Public Safety, but would shy away from ham stuff mostly because of the CW requirements.

Not that I'm loaded with free time, but do you guys have some links with licensing info?

~TG
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline redtailhawk

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
TG,

www.qrz.com
www.w5yi.org

All 3 levels' question bank is online and free as well as practice tests.  There is no Morse requirement for any class license anymore.  If you've got radio background, then take the Technician and General tests on the same day...that'll open up the HF bands to you.  Each test costs about $15.

BK,  Tx2Wy:  King's Creek, NC originally.  You?  Drop a PM.

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
Thanks, Grant!
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline zengunfighter

• Rather Interested
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
Just bought his' and her's Yaesu VX-6Rs for emergency comms.
We take our test in 4 days!
Cramming for General right now.

We'll be bringing them with us to Wyoming in June. Hope to have a portable dipole by then.

Offline redtailhawk

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
Great news, Zen!

If you need anything or have questions, ask away!

redtailhawk
AA4VB

Offline Seniortech

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
Yeah, welcome Zen.  Glad to have you.

John
AB5SW
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »

We'll be bringing them with us to Wyoming in June. Hope to have a portable dipole by then.

I always like having a radio that does all it can:   http://www.hampedia.net/yaesu/vx-6r-tx-mod.php

Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline zengunfighter

• Rather Interested
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Thanks for the good words guys! I'm sure I will have lots of questions.
I've had the radios for about a month now. Done some listening. The only thing I'm getting (I live on st thomas in the caribbean) is the police, fire, rescue, and taxis in the 150. range. If I'm near the airport, I can pick up the stuff in the 120.s
I know the rubber duckie is limiting me. I'm looking to get vehicle mount antennas and something (dipole?) to pull in stuff from longer distances on the lower frequencies.

the Yaesu VX6 came highly recommended by some friends on the Dirt Time forum. I'm impressed so far. very compact. water resistant to 3 feet for 30 minutes. seems to have lots of capabilities.

I'll also want to get a mobile with some more power at some point. I've seen some slick set ups with them mounted in tool boxes so they can be set up anywhere.

(can you tell that i'm a little excited? :) )

Offline Flight-ER-Doc

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »
Thanks for the good words guys! I'm sure I will have lots of questions.
I've had the radios for about a month now. Done some listening. The only thing I'm getting (I live on st thomas in the caribbean) is the police, fire, rescue, and taxis in the 150. range. If I'm near the airport, I can pick up the stuff in the 120.s
I know the rubber duckie is limiting me. I'm looking to get vehicle mount antennas and something (dipole?) to pull in stuff from longer distances on the lower frequencies.

the Yaesu VX6 came highly recommended by some friends on the Dirt Time forum. I'm impressed so far. very compact. water resistant to 3 feet for 30 minutes. seems to have lots of capabilities.

I'll also want to get a mobile with some more power at some point. I've seen some slick set ups with them mounted in tool boxes so they can be set up anywhere.

(can you tell that i'm a little excited? :) )

Look into (search) for a 2-meter J-pole antenna....you can make one out of twinlead TV antenna wire, it rolls up and fits into your pocket and works better than the stock rubber duck.
Most people in the world are Sheep.
Some are Wolves.
A very few are Sheepdogs.

I guess I'm just the vet

Politician, Rope, Lamppost.  Some assembly required

Offline Tx2Wy

• Social Type
  • Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »

Great ZenGunFighter,
I also have the TR-6   Great talkie

Bill
WB4QKZ