Author Topic: Observations on our Exodus  (Read 12001 times)

Offline tmr923

• Reader
Observations on our Exodus
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »
It's been about two weeks since we've been on the ground in Wyoming and hardly enough time to catch our breath and reflect, but a few things have struck me as noteworthy.
1) Comparing Wyoming to our homestate of New York is comparing apples to oranges.
2) I-80 is a horrible road in most places, an example of our infrastructure as a whole, and when it becomes impassable I'm glad we'll be on the western end of it and not stuck back east.
3) I took my C&R license to the Sheriff's Dept. to have him sign my change of address so I can keep the BATFE happy. He called me personally within 24 hours to say he signed it and I could stop by to pick it up. That process would have taken a month of phone calls in NY.
4)Among all the things that stand out, the people of Wyoming are the most striking. I have yet to meet any one I would classify as rude. Every single person I have passed on the street has said "Hello" to me! No lie!
5) Have you ever slipped on a really comfortable pair of shoes? You feel you could wear them forever. That is how Wyoming feels to me.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Observations on our Exodus
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »
It sounds like Wyoming has chosen you.

Welcome home!
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »
tmr923,  ;D ;D ;D
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »
Awesome, that is so encouraging!

~TG
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:22:33 AM »
Congratulations and welcome! We'll meet you at the camp-out, I hope. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline tmr923

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
I hope so too, Mama! I can not overstate how instrumental the support and encouragement of FSW and it's members have been to us.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
I hope so too, Mama! I can not overstate how instrumental the support and encouragement of FSW and it's members have been to us.

Well, that was the whole idea! LOL   ;D

Offline Ann the Artist

• Reader
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks for posting the encouragement, tmr923!  We will move to Wyoming shortly before the camp-out and are sooooo excited! I can scarcely believe all our planning and dreaming is finally becoming a reality.

I cannot agree more about how much this forum means to folks like us who are packing up, leaving everyone and everything we know in search of something better. Thanks to everyone here!  :)

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »
TMR,
Regarding folks saying "hi", what I really notice is this:
When walking down a sidewalk or across parking lot in Wyoming, people will look you in the eye and say "hello" or at least smile.
In California (where my two kids live) people will purposely look down at the ground to avoid eye contact. No exchange whatsoever.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »
In California (where my two kids live) people will purposely look down at the ground to avoid eye contact. No exchange whatsoever.

Indeed! On my trip to California last Sept. Even the store clerks didn't want to make eye contact. I just couldn't get over that! And I had lived there most of my life.

How quickly we adapt to the good things.  ;) ~W~ ~W~ ~W~

Offline DreamingWest

• Casual Observer
  • "He who is brave is free." - Seneca
    • Dreaming West
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »
Hi, tmr923! I'm so excited for you. We're hoping to move from upstate NY to Wyoming within about a year's time. Would you mind sharing a little bit more about the differences you've encountered so far? I could always use a little inspiration and encouragement. A year seems like such a long time when you're stuck in the gulag... :D

Congratulations!
If you feel like reading my ramblings, kindly check out my new blog. See you in Wyoming!

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »
One of the biggest shocks for most people is the Caucasian taking their order at Mcdonalds.. And getting it right. ;D Mostly.... Well sometimes... Ahhh forget it....

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
One of the biggest shocks for most people is the Caucasian taking their order at Mcdonalds.. And getting it right. ;D Mostly.... Well sometimes... Ahhh forget it....

No McDonald place here in Newcastle... and all the folks at the various diners and restaurants seem to be able to take an order and get it right all the time - or quickly and cheerfully MAKE it right if there is some misunderstanding. I know, we're weird here...  ;)

Only a few drive through windows here... the bank, the liquor stores, and one "Taco John's."

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »

Only a few drive through windows here... the bank, the liquor stores, and one "Taco John's."

ML,

Newcastle has a Taco John?

It's been years since I ate at Taco John's.  Enjoyed their fixin's, much better than a Taco Bell.  Seems like they had some sort of apple empenada dessert thingie that was good too.

~TG
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »
Newcastle has a Taco John?

It's been years since I ate at Taco John's.  Enjoyed their fixin's, much better than a Taco Bell.  Seems like they had some sort of apple empenada dessert thingie that was good too.

Yes, Taco John is right on Main Street. :) I've never been in the place myself. I ate so much "fast food" while I was working that I never want any again. Besides, I make better "Mexican food" than most restaurants I've been in. <grin>  I grew up near many Hispanic families in Southern California. I used to make some very good tortillas too, but I got lazy when such nice ones could be purchased in the store.

Jubal and I go to a neat place in Gillette that makes a mean green chili breakfast burrito, but I don't know if real Mexicans would consider it ethnically "Mexican." It's just darn good. :)