Author Topic: Decent WY Sheriff Story  (Read 3675 times)

Offline 338_LM

• Reader
Decent WY Sheriff Story
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:34:49 AM »
It's been quite a while since I posted anything here, but this week something happened that reaffirmed my love of Wyoming and I wanted to share it.  I've lived here since '89, moving at age 20 from Baltimore, to help run our family's ranch.  To me, it's the best place on Earth.  My only real complaint is how much land the Feds "own" here - and they're looking for more.)

Monday a neighbor called to say he'd seen a pickup and ATV heading out onto a two-track on our private property.  I grabbed a DS-Arms FAL, jumped on our four-wheeler, and took off to see what they were up to.  About an hour passed from the time my neighbor actually saw the vehicle to the time I got out there.  Due to the delay, I met the vehicles coming back.  The pickup belonged to the Sheriff, with my other neighbor, an old friend of the Sheriff, riding his ATV.  (Not exactly sure why they didn't call us, but that's another subject.)

Turns out, a WY five-year resident-now-CENSUS-TAKER decided to try a shortcut shown on his Census GPS device (I posted about them last year when they marked our remote off-grid house) - on a ~60ยบ day after 8" of snow last week.  He got stuck WAY back in, and tore up a bunch of land on us AND the north neighbor, driving through grass with his older 4WD with street tires.  (You can only imagine the gumbo mud on a day like today...  It's a no-go with a 4x4 TRACTOR if you can help it.)

So anyway, I saw the Sheriff eying my rifle and I said I was really sad because now I'd have to clean two pounds of mud off it, and I never even got to shoot it.  He laughed and said, "Ah, it's an FAL.  It can handle mud."  We chatted a bit more, and he hauled the guy (now in the back of the SO pickup) into town.  The guy *probably* wasn't up to anything criminal - it had almost become a search and rescue.  Mind you, the guy was 1/2 mile from PAVEMENT and had a GPS with him.  He had to know there was a real road just a short hike away.  Instead, he called 911 (very fortunate to have a signal out here) and made the Sheriff come and get him.  The guy was a real idiot, claiming he was just getting his bearings for his upcoming census work, and trying to save time by taking a shortcut.  (!!!  We're supposed to tell these people about our homes, or our income?  No chance in hell.  "Two people live here.  Good day."  !!!)

Later that night, the Sheriff called me to tell me what was happening, what an absolute grinning-the-whole-time never-thanking-or-apologizing moron this guy was, and that it was my call when the guy could go get his vehicle.  (Frozen or dry, take your pick.)  We unfortunately can't prosecute for trespassing, because our sign had blown down and was in the mud. 

Then the Sheriff said, "Hey, I just wanted tell you how pleased I was to see you carrying a .308.  Most guys today carry .223 plinkers. Even the Wyoming HPs went from M1As to M4s a few years back, which was a bad move in such open country."

I just love Wyoming.  ...  That just makes me so happy and proud to live here.  I'm glad I voted for our Sheriff a couple years ago.   (Our last Sheriff was great too.)  It's the little things like this that remind me how lucky we all are to still have places like this available.  Sure, there are some compromises living here, but the 2nd Amendment ain't currently one of them. You ride up on a law enforcement officer in almost any other place ON THE PLANET carrying a "black rifle" with an EOTech on it and YOU'RE going to jail, or at least going face-down on the ground for a spell 'til they sort it out.  Out here, ya get a pat on the back for caliber selection!

God Bless Wyoming.  Come here and join us if you appreciate things like this.  Screw off if you don't.   ;D
--------------------
A government should not be conflated with "the country", or "the people". It's an entity with its own interests, and will always put it's interests first. It treats its subjects as milk cows and if it has to, it will treat them as beef cows.

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
Re: Decent WY Sheriff Story
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Sounds like a good candidate for which county to have the FFA test case in. :-)
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/

Offline typeay

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:09:14 PM »
 Great story, 338_LM!  Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
Give him a copy of Sheriff Mack's book....The County Sheriff:  America's Last Hope...and ya'll will be golden.  Care to prop the county with direct accreditation??

www.sheriffmack.com

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Texas Minuteman

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Taking Wyoming's example....for Texas to follow...
    • Institute on the Constitution
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:37 AM »
Great story here, 338.    I'll pass it around - like we really needed ANOTHER reason to look at Wyoming.

TM  ;)
"There are a thousand angry ones hacking away at the branches, for every one who dares to Strike The Root"

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
So did the trespasser notice that there are some who are armed and ready to defend their property?
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline 338_LM

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
So did the trespasser notice that there are some who are armed and ready to defend their property?

I don't really think it was in the guy's capacity to notice ANYTHING.  Of course, my luck, he'll remember it for the wrong reasons.
--------------------
A government should not be conflated with "the country", or "the people". It's an entity with its own interests, and will always put it's interests first. It treats its subjects as milk cows and if it has to, it will treat them as beef cows.

Offline LukeFoxtrot

• Social Type
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
That's a great story!  Thanks for sharing!

LF
In questions of power, then, let no more be heard in the confidence of man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.

-Tommy J.