Author Topic: Hello! Prospective FSW member here.  (Read 3265 times)

Offline TennesseeG

Hello! Prospective FSW member here.
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Hi! My name is Tennessee. Last summer I escaped from California to Montana. My family and I were sick of life in a blue state, especially when Obama took office and all my liberal friends stopped having anti-war rallies and took the Dissent stickers off of their cars.

I have decided to start my college "education" at Northwest University in Powell. (along with my apolitical boyfriend) My parents and I are taking a trip up there this weekend to scout the place out and make sure it's the right decision. I was really excited to read about FSW online because I knew I couldn't make it all the way to New Hampshire! Anyways, I know it might seem hypocritical for an individualist to long for community, but I'm the only libertarian I know and I'm sick of constantly being surrounded by Republicans and Democrats.

So, hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place and not breaking any rules!

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
Re: Hello! Prospective FSW member here.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
Welcome,  you'll find all sorts here so I'm sure you'll be able to relate to many people (and think some of us are crazy).
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline B-LINE

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:57 PM »
Welcome TennesseeG, how did you learn about FSW?

B-LINE

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:32:11 PM »
Welcome!!  Glad to have you on board.

A desire for community is perfectly normal, especially for us girls.  Don't fret none. 

~TG

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:52 AM »
Howdy TennesseeG, If you are in Wyoming in June we have a get together planned.
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
Welcome indeed! There is absolutely no conflict between being an individual and needing community contacts and support. The operative word is "voluntary." When we freely associate with other human beings for our mutual benefit and pleasure, everyone wins!

Can't wait to meet you! Do come to the camp-out in June.  Full information here: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?board=59.0
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline TennesseeG

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
Thanks, I'll definitely try to make it to the get together in June.  I may be in Nashville with my family for some time this summer, but I'll ask them!

Oh, and I heard about FSW through a lot of google searches. I tried to find some libertarians here in Montana when I first moved, but I couldn't really find much except the LP party, which was in Missoula (which I found a little odd, knowing Missoula!)

Offline jubal

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
    • Marksmans Box
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »

One of the best things you can do to find out just for yourself is to come to our gathering in June about 20 miles west of Newcastle Wyoming. This years jam should be one of our best. Its right on the southern edge of the beautiful Black Hills.
"
When planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary".
 Thomas Paine

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »
Moving from Cali is good. Moving from Montana to Wyoming, probably not needed for freedom reasons, although you may want to for other reasons. There is actually a small "free Montana" list, maybe a couple of them. We just happen to be a bit more organized here. Whatever happens in the future, Montana's and Wyoming's fates are probably pretty closely tied together. Idaho too...
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline RKBA

• Centerfire
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »
I recently (September 2009) moved out of California for a variety of reasons, and it looks like I got out just in time because California recently passed laws against the mail order of ammo and has also either introduced a bill or passed a new law (I can't remember which) requiring registration of long arms as well as the illegal defacto registration of handguns already in place. If the registration of all firearms hasn't passed yet in California, it's only a matter of time before it does.

I came to Oregon to escape the egregious and appalling California laws, and for the rain and abundance of trees and greenery because in addition to the many outrageous and appalling laws, rules, and regulations in California I was sick and tired of California drought conditions and of looking at dead grass and yellowing (not "golden") landscape because of the dead grasses and plants that only turn green and flourish for a couple of months during the winter when it rains in California. In the western part of Oregon things will grow and stay green most of the year without artificial irrigation. At the moment we are only renting a house in Oregon because I wanted to give myself some time to get to know Oregon before deciding where to buy a house, but it would not be difficult to change our destination to Wyoming. 

I've always been interested in the Free State Movement, but New Hampshire is out of the question for me for a variety of reasons (my severe inflammatory arthritis among other things) and stumbled across FSW about a month ago. A couple of days ago I bought a copy of Molon Labe by "Boston T. Party" and that book is what brought me back to this forum. I will be looking around to get the "feel" of the forum and investigating the geography and demographics of Wyoming because I still haven't decided on a "final resting place" for my wife and I. We are both retired aerospace engineers (me in Pasadena, California and she in Chengdu, China) and could very easily move to Wyoming instead of settling here in Oregon. I'm a "country boy", but my wife is a city girl and wants to live in the city, and as much as I hate living in a large crowded city I must live near a city large enough to have a rheumatologist because I must see a rheumatologist every two months due to the chemotherapy drug I inject weekly to control my arthritis.

This may not be the right place to ask this question (if not, where should it be posted?), but I wonder if FSW people just move into whatever part of Wyoming they choose, or is there any attempt at some sort of coordination effort to maximize our political clout, such as that described in the fictional book "Molon Labe? Maybe a recommended list of towns or counties where those who seek freedom are most needed?  My choices are somewhat circumscribed by the limitations imposed upon me by my health condition and need for medical support, but within those bounds I could live pretty much wherever I choose because I have saved a reasonably sized retirement fund that should be enough to see my wife and I through the remainder of our lives provided that I can convert my FRNs into something real and tangible before hyperinflation strikes.

PGP public key at http://ron.dotson.net/misc/rdotsonPublicKey.asc

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
RKBA, the book is just fiction. There is no possible way to herd these cats into moving to specific places.  >:D  Come visit and look around. Cheyenne or Casper is probably your best bet as far as cities go, since they are also within range of Denver and the major medical facilities there... though they aren't too shabby in Cheyenne actually. Get a place north of Cheyenne out in the country and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Just don't forget to come visit your country cousins up here in the NE corner. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »
... I must live near a city large enough to have a rheumatologist because I must see a rheumatologist every two months due to the chemotherapy drug I inject weekly to control my arthritis.

That sounds painful.  Have you looked into DMSO and MSM?  I have been reading about these, and there are many claims that they can help reduce the pain and make regular drugs work better.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
RKBA, the book is just fiction. There is no possible way to herd these cats into moving to specific places.  >:D  ...

Sure there is.  Just make sure there is plenty of food (work) and no beatings (goob)... ;)
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין