Author Topic: Hot Springs County  (Read 3234 times)

Offline JeffM

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Hot Springs County
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:01 AM »
How many here live in Hot Springs County? We have liked what we have read and the pics we have seen of the area, specifically Thermopolis.

Offline WyoTexian

• Casual Observer
Re: Hot Springs County
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
I am also attracted to the Thermopolis area.  Hopefully we will get to travel there this summer.
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way." -Christopher Morley

Offline marciab

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
ASHAMED TO SAY I DON'T KNOW THE POPULATION.  bUT i THINK THE COUNTY HAS AROUND 5,000 AND THERMOPOLIS ABOUT 3500.

Offline Wyomingite4Freedom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »
I lived in Thermopolis for a couple of years when I was growing up...lived in Worland most of my childhood (30 miles away) so I am pretty familiar with the area.  Not a whole lot for jobs or housing even.  Mostly farmers and oil riggers or the hospital employs a lot of people...My dad worked for one of the rig companies.

The state park is pretty nice to take the family to (2 water parks) - but it smells like the hot springs all through town...kind of a sulfur smell I guess, but you get used to it.  Great fishing through there - especially catfish on the river...Boysen Reservoir is not far away for boating, ice fishing etc. 

Closest "general" store is Pamida in Worland or Riverton has Walmart and Kmart...(about 55 miles away.)

Public schools are all on one campus K-12...I think they finally built a new high school and their own gym several years back...fairgrounds are across the street from the H.S.  Usually lots of small rodeo/stock shows/concerts/tractor pulls going on.

Overall, it's a pretty nice place to live as long as you don't need the "big city" amenities.
In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned.  When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot. ~ Mark Twain

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
Thermopolis is one of my favorite towns, what little I know from going through there now and then. Here is an article about it, from a few years back.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:49:50 AM »
Awesome article Paul!

The conclusion....
In short, Wyoming is for hardy people whose independent streak is as wide as the sagebrush plains. It doesn’t matter where you’re from or how long you’ve been there; it’s who you are that counts. Wyoming is a living example of the old west meeting the new and preserving the best of both. It’s a state of mind as well as a state of the nation.

AMEN
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline JeffM

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »
 Thanks, Paul

I read that article a couple years back, good to read it again, finding work for me may be an issue, however finding teaching work for my wife somewhere in Wyo may pan out.

Offline WyoTexian

• Casual Observer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
Thermopolis is one of my favorite towns, what little I know from going through there now and then. Here is an article about it, from a few years back.

Great article!  Thanks for posting it.
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life your own way." -Christopher Morley

Offline WyoTexian

• Casual Observer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
I am also attracted to the Thermopolis area.  Hopefully we will get to travel there this summer.

We will be spending a few days in Thermopolis checking it out after we leave the Freedom Expo campout.  Any FSW'ers in Thermopolis? And will you be at the Freedom Expo and Campout?  You can respond to this thread or PM me.

Greg from Texas