Author Topic: Questions...  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Getmeouttahere

Questions...
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »
  Hello Everyone! I have enjoyed reading through this forum for a couple years now. My name is Brad and I currently live in a small town just east of Longmont, Colorado. My family and I have now lived in 3 states; California, Arizona, and now Colorado. I love the idea of FSW and all the potential liberties it affords. We (My wife & I) are staunch Libertarians, gun enthusiasts, private property rights advocates, and for Cannabis legalization. In fact, we are for legalizing ALL victimless activities.
  What attracted us to Colorado were better 2A rights, beautiful scenery, and it's legal to use Cannabis. I don't want to start a debate here about Cannabis, but it is a sticking point with us regarding our decision to leave Colorado. There are definitely drawbacks with Colorado as well, such as our crappy road network here, but I am adamitely opposed to pharmaceutical drugs as they are not natural and have many side affects. Is there any progress in Wyoming regarding legalizing Cannabis?
  Another problem with moving there would be employment. I've read that finding a job can be somewhat difficult in parts of Wyoming. I have been in Retail Sales most of my life, however I have been a machine operator in a factory for a couple of years too. My wife is a State Farm Insurance Salesperson. Is there much demand for our particular profession in Northast Wyoming? We like would be open to relocating anywhere from Sheridan to Sundance.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Brad

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:21 AM »
Welcome! As we say to everyone, the best way to find out if Wyoming is a good fit for you is to come explore and meet us. Are you coming to the June camp-out?

Unemployment is still fairly low here, and most people do best when they are flexible or can bring their own job in some way. There have been lots of discussions on this board about that.

Not sure what to make of the road condition thing. They are what they are. Some places they're ok, and some places not. Probably need a sturdy 4WD. Come and see! :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »
Howdy Brad, glad you finally joined in the discussion.  ;) Can you make it to the get together in June, like Mama asked? Have you guys done job searches?
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
Brad,
Welcome.
I think every city of any size has insurance agents. I have a neighbor (who lives in Gillette) who's a State Farm agent.

Gillette might be good for a machine shop. They are the closest city to the monster coal mines south of town. These mines are the biggest in the country. I see a lot of big heavy duty machine/crane/earth mover types of businesses there.

I don't think WY is too much in favor of legalizing MJ. Too conservative. I've never heard a single conversation or even news story about it.

I agree that CO is pretty good on gun laws, except the Denver metro area. I've been told by metro cops there that if they saw that I had a gun during a routine traffic stop that "We'll take you down at gunpoint. Run your ID. Run your gun's SN. Ask you for your reason for carrying it. If everything checks out we'll let you go. We might keep your gun a bit longer to do some tests." These were a cop's actual words to me. No, it's not illegal to OC a gun there. Perfectly legal I finally got them to admit, but they will make your life miserable.

Mac

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Last thing about medical pot was this bill, as far as I know:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2003/Digest/sf0044.HTM

Like the vast majority of bills in our legislature, it died waiting for action (our sessions are extremely short).

It's not the kind of state that would be pushing hard on this. On the other hand, if you are smoking discretely, who's going to know or care?
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
On the other hand, if you are smoking discretely, who's going to know or care?

Sorta like the Concealed means concealed argument. If no one knows about it, no issue.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.