Author Topic: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!  (Read 89408 times)

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: FSW Members explain: Why I Moved To Wyoming!
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome! I'll come around to visit once I get a bit more settled, looking forward to it.

am sure the locals will welcome as many 'Atoms' as they can get.

:D

Offline Shawn

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Right and easy seldom meet.
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
@ AIM Welcome to Wyoming   8)
Our heritage in a nutshell: "This country was founded by religious nuts with guns"  P. J. O'Rourke...Isn't it time?

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Thanks Shawn!

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2012, 11:33:43 PM »
What a coup for the FSW and Wyoming you are, AIM.
I am delighted that you're so pleased with your move!

Thank you for that great bio, so nicely written and so inspiring.
 ~W~
Boston

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
I moved to Wyoming because I spent my entire life in NY and NJ  >:(  We looked at New Hampshire for a while, but we noticed WAY too many Massachusetts license plates.  We also looked at Georgia, Florida, and Texas.  While each of those places had its own appeal, we knew after our trip to Wyoming this past August that we found our home.  My wife began going on interviews while we were on vacation!  We were living in Wyoming within 45 days of returning to NY from our vacation.  The frantic pace and stressful drive cross county with everything we own in a truck (and two cars) was difficult, however.  I recommend better planning.  But we had a sense of urgency because of where we lived at the time.  And sure enough we missed Hurricane Sandy and the Nor'Easter with a month to spare!  With 911, a major blackout, an earthquake, and the Hurricane of 2011 in recent memory, I felt it was truly a "numbers game" living there.  And I'm not a gambling kind of man.

Having good, like-minded friends, from the FSW, established before moving here offered us a tremendous advantage.  But the people in Wyoming overall are truly special.  Their senses of humor I find to be as dry as mine (like drinking a glass of sand!  But funny HA HA is better than funny as in BIZARRE...)  The folks are sincere, practical, and intelligent.  I got to know more of my neighbors here in two weeks than I knew living at my last residence for the past six years in NY.  I go to pay the water and garbage bill in person and the folks know who I am.  I go to the bank and the tellers know my name.  I go to the post office and he knows my name.

Finally, the physical beauty of the state is awesome.  The spaces are wide open and the sky is huge.  The Black Hills are beautiful.  The Big Horns are spectacular, and then there's the Tetons and Yellowstone (which are unfortunately too close to Jackson...)  I love it here and I love all my new friends.

The best thing for me is not having to keep my enthusiasm for guns "in the closet", so to speak.  I enjoy seeing people open-carrying "Loud and Proud!"
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner

Offline Seniortech

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2012, 06:40:05 AM »
And Welcome to you, B. Howell!
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline deadeye

• Reader
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
Great timing B. Howell!  Getting off the coast before Sandy hit, I mean.  Welcome to Wyoming!  We have hurricanes here too, but they're generally a lot drier.

I was speaking with a retired New Jersey cop living in Laramie (which is too liberal for my taste, but a nice little town none-the-less)  His quote: 'I can open-carry or concealed-carry here with no hassles; but I never feel like I have to.  In New Jersey, I always felt I had to, but if I hadn't been a cop, it would have cost too much and been too much government paperwork!'  My reply: 'We don't charge anyone for exercising inalienable, God-given rights here.  And if I have my way, we never will.'

Congratulations again on your timely escape!

Offline BrianMyers

• Reader
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
We were living in Wyoming within 45 days of returning to NY from our vacation. 

B. Howell,

Thanks for sharing your adventure.  I admire a person who just makes up their mind and runs with it, and it only took 45 days!  That is truly impressive!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what area are you and your family living in?  I'm having a difficult time deciding but I am sure I want to be in a town that is smaller then 3,000 people.  We moved from Wisconsin for many of the same reasons you moved from the East Coast.  We decided on North Phoenix, AZ.  I'm not feeling like we fit in here and Wyoming is sounding better and better with ever bit of information I can find.  I can see that we will have to take a trip up to WY in order to know.  My biggest concern is my wife an I finding a jobs that will support us.

Regards,
Brian
"We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude."
- Thomas Jefferson 1816.

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
We settled in the NE corner of the state.  Close enough to cities with employent and shopping.  Good luck with your searching.
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your post, and it was good to meet you
and your family recently. 

Congratulations on your quick and dedicated move!
Great timing indeed.  You've a right to gloat!

Thanks for joining the FSW and participating on our forum.
Keep us posted along your new Wyoming way.
 ~W~
Warm regards,
Boston

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your post, and it was good to meet you
and your family recently. 

Congratulations on your quick and dedicated move!
Great timing indeed.  You've a right to gloat!

Thanks for joining the FSW and participating on our forum.
Keep us posted along your new Wyoming way.
 ~W~
Warm regards,
Boston

Hi Boston,

Thank you.  I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

I am starting work this week, and I am looking forward to learning new things and getting my first Wyoming paycheck!

Thank you for your passion and all the research you did in order to create this great map.  It's up to us as individuals to choose to be free regardless of where we are, but being here is giving us an incredible jump start!

Warm regards from all of us here,
Bill
Lysander Spooner

Offline montygarlic

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Once upon a time....
    • Garlic Head
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
The folks are sincere, practical, and intelligent.  I got to know more of my neighbors here in two weeks than I knew living at my last residence for the past six years in NY.  I go to pay the water and garbage bill in person and the folks know who I am.  I go to the bank and the tellers know my name.  I go to the post office and he knows my name.

Finally, the physical beauty of the state is awesome.  The spaces are wide open and the sky is huge.  The Black Hills are beautiful.  The Big Horns are spectacular, and then there's the Tetons and Yellowstone (which are unfortunately too close to Jackson...)  I love it here and I love all my new friends.

The best thing for me is not having to keep my enthusiasm for guns "in the closet", so to speak.  I enjoy seeing people open-carrying "Loud and Proud!"

Thanks for sharing this.  The first two paragraphs are identical to my experiences in NW Montana, so I think Wyoming will be a good fit.  I carry open or concealed almost all the time, so I expect my freedom (comfort?) level experience to improve in Wyoming.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.