Author Topic: Whatcha Got?  (Read 8191 times)

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
Whatcha Got?
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
For those inside and outside of Wyoming with ideas or a desire to further promote liberty and the ideals of FSW...

You know, if we did that we might actually get something done, might actually improve our situation a little.

What situation do you see that needs improved?  What's your ultimate goal and your ideas to achieve it?  What resources are you lacking to "get something done"...and finally, what can "we" (my family and I) do to help accomplish your goal?

Since a collective, abstract "we" never gets anything done, only tireless individuals working to achieve their own selfish ends ever improve anything...how can this individual, me, help you, individual, move us forward? 

Money?  Time?  Skill?  Energy?  Got a little bit of all four to contribute to worthy actions & goals outside of my own immediate selfish ones  ;) 

So whatcha got?

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline bobcat

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way
Re: Whatcha Got?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »
First cut-

On a practical level, liberty issues notwithstanding:

1. Networking, networking, networking.
2. Jobs
3. Real Estate

Bobcat  

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin
"Citizenship is not a spectator sport"  -K Denninger

Offline Texas Minuteman

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Taking Wyoming's example....for Texas to follow...
    • Institute on the Constitution
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
Manumit,

Appreciate your forward looking, voluntary offer of assistance !

Let me think on it for a while. 

I'm sure there is something tangible we could 'offer' to have your help on. 

As "not yet in Wyoming' family:

A chief help would be "on the ground Intel" like where you are, in Wyoming, why you like it, do you plan to stay or are you just 'sampling' the area for now, etc.  Any plans to buy or build a place, and so forth.

Also: (esp if you are planning on staying in the area you've chosen) Are there many FSW persons or families near you ?  Want more there ?

As our family had the distinct pleasure of meeting you, your lovely wife & children, I know a bit about your situation, too. 

Hope things are moving along for you these days, by the way.  I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up of late, on the forums here due to time constraints !

Best personal regards,

Texas Minuteman - David & family
"There are a thousand angry ones hacking away at the branches, for every one who dares to Strike The Root"

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »
I'd say organization and ACTION.

I've known some FSW folks that make the move here, enjoy life, quit the forum, and just do their own thing. The FSW connections got them here, but now they lose interest.

There are many small newspapers here that will print nearly any Letter to the Editor. But I've know of no one but myself that has ever contributed one letter to the local paper. Sometimes just a single opposing view on something might make the readers stop and question the original article.

It doesn't take much to do SOMETHING, but usually it doesn't get done at all. Most of us simply don't want to step out of the shadows.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Seniortech

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
Hey, Wonderful idea.  By the way, Mac, I have written several letters to the local editor disputing their statist position on a variety of subjects.  As you say, more people should write such letters.

What have I got?  Well, I'm pretty old and mostly used up, BUT, I have a good pickup truck and a 25' flatbed goose neck trailer if someone needs something hauled.  I have hauled a small back hoe and a couple of cars for FSW folks, made a happy deal for everyone.  Making an FSW related run to Worland on Thursday. 

Bobcat has it right: networking, on jobs, real estate, info for newcomers, what have you.
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
I'd say organization and ACTION.

I've known some FSW folks that make the move here, enjoy life, quit the forum, and just do their own thing. The FSW connections got them here, but now they lose interest.

There are many small newspapers here that will print nearly any Letter to the Editor. But I've know of no one but myself that has ever contributed one letter to the local paper. Sometimes just a single opposing view on something might make the readers stop and question the original article.

It doesn't take much to do SOMETHING, but usually it doesn't get done at all. Most of us simply don't want to step out of the shadows.

Mac

I was wondering about this too.

What is FSW doing as a whole in Wyoming? Is there something that the group does together besides the camp out thing in June? And I don't think that is even 'officially' an FSW thing, is it?

For us, the big draw are the liberty minded folks on this forum & the ones we've met in person. Plus, of course, the beauty of the state & less people.

What can we expect when we get moved up there? Are the people of FSW just gonna keep writing on the forum without doing something with the other people of FSW?
I understand that we are loosely organized but there needs to be some interaction between us on a somewhat regular basis. How else do you establish relationships & trust amongst us?

I truly believe that TS will HTF soon. I want to be among people who believe in liberty & freedom. If there's no relationship while times are somewhat normal, how can there be cohesiveness when it's time to really do something?

I'm sorry if this is coming off sounding like a rant but these are stressful times for me.

Offline Texas Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »
I'd say organization and ACTION.....There are many small newspapers here that will print nearly any Letter to the Editor. But I've know of no one but myself that has ever contributed one letter to the local paper. Sometimes just a single opposing view on something might make the readers stop and question the original article.

Mac

Bravo to you, Mac, for taking the time to write & speak up.  

For us, personally, it's taking the time to 'step our of our busy-ness' and honoring the Principle that Liberty and Freedom are not self-maintaining - they require constant input & effort.  

This means putting our personal goals in 2nd priority, to the efforts required of us in 'the animating contest of Freedom'.

I think it was Daniel Webster who noted, "if a people value anything MORE highly than their Liberty & Freedom, they will lose that Liberty & Freedom...."

David / TM

BTW, enjoyed meeting and chatting with you at the FSW campout

Hope all is well with you & yours !
"There are a thousand angry ones hacking away at the branches, for every one who dares to Strike The Root"

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
Sunny...about the "we" as in, what is FSW doing?  The bottom-line is we all do whatever we want, heck quite a few of us here in Wyoming never signed the SoI and let our "intent" speak through our actions...now that we are here what do "we" do?  Some a little, some a lot...some none.  So what?  To each her own!

The annual Freedom Fest is a great form of outreach carried by a few FSW'ers (in fact, we largely moved out AFTER meeting so many great folks at the "JAM" in 2007)...if other "in-staters" are like my family, we attend to share some of what we received in '07 with new folk (personal experiences, information, lay-of-the-land, etc.), to recharge our own Liberty-batteries and to maintain established & develop new friendships.  However, the four days can only get you so much...

For me, the biggest opportunity to work for more liberty & freedom in Wyoming is not a once a year event or even "working within" the system (although those that do CAN ACHIEVE certain favorable results) those ain't for my temperament and personality...though I do send money into good folk with good causes/activism.  Personally, I like to directly plant seeds for liberty everywhere I can in whatever way possible and allow the principles to get people thinking more about liberty directly around me...both in quantity & quality.

What I have already done or am doing...while averaging 20+ hours of OT per week  :-\

--Written five letters to the editor (and they were all published) over the past year.
--Created & Published five editions of a small (8-12 pg) Liberty Primer (news bulletin-style)...see .pdf copies here (excuse the ads, but it is a free file service)...they are designed to print on 8.5x14 (legal) paper...did about 30-50 copies each time
--Sent "liberty" reminders to elected officials about specific current issues.
--Campaigned for local liberty-minded candidates.
--Participate (minimally) in a local liberty group...just don't care much for politics in whatever "group."
--Participate in a local blog pushing Liberty principles not politics...
--Speak openly at work, play or worship about true, principled liberty WHENEVER I get the opportunity

What more do I want to do:
--Start a community (read: pirate) radio station or three broadcasting liberty programming 24/7/365.
--Expand my Liberty Primer to establish a permanent (bi-weekly) state-wide liberty-focused newspaper that includes local issues (submitted by those directly involved/affected) & could give general folks a counter-statist point of view contrary to existing "news" offerings.
--Develop a marketing campaign including radio/newspaper/direct mailings to distribute liberty-ideas.
--Establish a Freedom-Flick night at the local library showing documentaries & freedom-themed movies.
--Establish a monthly "Liberty On The Rocks" night at one of the local taverns.
--Conduct the "World's Smallest Political Quiz" outreach on a regular basis at local events.

What could I use for help:
--Time, labor and/or skills for further research/development of each area...to allow refinement and go-no go decisions on each.  The direct marketing, radio station & newspaper obviously being the three biggest...I've got money to commit, but those probably exceed my capabilities at present.  The movie, quiz outreach & drink night are pretty much no cost and merely takes the time to prepare the material, set up the programs, do the advertising/marketing AND actually conduct the events.

Most all of the "legwork" can be done online/phone from a distance if anyone is interested.  That's all I got....for now.  ;)

MANUMIT
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:35:57 AM by MANUMIT »
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Texas Minuteman

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
Manumit:

Your post asking 'Whatcha Got ?'

Got me thinking along the lines of 'what do I have to contribute' to help others, once in Wyoming ?

I and or my family have a variety of skills we can and will share as opportunity allows.

I am willing to help others move stuff - I have a 30' goose-neck cargo trailer behind a heavy diesel truck.

I can help drill a water well (down to 100' maybe more).

I have a tractor & can do some field mowing & moderate dirt work.

My wife is a certified herbalist and acts as our doctor.  She is happy to consult with anyone, helping where she can.  The list of friends (here & elsewhere) she has helped to attain greater health is long & growing.

(And with national socialized medicine bearing down on us all, the practice of 'self-care' in natural ways is only going to increase in attractiveness & popularity...)

We have 15 years experience as Homeschooling parents and are happy to share the joys & cautions we have learned in that time.

So, those are some of the 'practical' things we'd like to share with other FSW folks as & where needed.

Of course, this will all be more possible in a tangible way, once in Wyoming !

[We do say 'God willing', as the move is not yet a certainty, though it is our hope...]

Regards,

TM