Author Topic: Cell phone coverage in WY  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
Cell phone coverage in WY
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:18 PM »
I searched a bit and found this thread http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=2946.15 but it hasn't been replied to in a few years and some of the answers are a bit outdated.

Can anyone recommend a cell company that gets decent coverage? Have the cell companies built more towers that means more companies have good coverage? The previous thread talked about Cingular and Alltel having good coverage but since they have been bought out it's mostly down to the big 4. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

Looking at the coverage maps of the companies, AT&T has coverage but rated as moderate for all of WY, T-mobile says they have voice but no data for most of the populated areas, Sprint is listed as "Roaming" for most of the SW WY but good coverage along I-25 and to the east edge of WY. According to their site Verizon says they have digital coverage along the major highways and data for the most part.

Can anyone list any other cell companies that are good up in the WY area? Does it depend more on the type of topography in an area (mountains in the way) or how populated an area is?
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
Re: Cell phone coverage in WY
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »
Union Wireless is pretty big state-wide....beats Verizon hands down in most spots.

"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline craigercj

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
I have verizon and coverage is good. Towns and major road corridors are pretty well covered. Outside of that I'm probably just used to not having cell service.

Union probably has the best coverage. I've heard stories of them putting in towers to service a couple people..

Offline LibertyJunkie

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »
I've always heard that Verizon is the best and have never even heard of Union but Im not very social so maybe Im just out of the loop.

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
It's not so much the CARRIER as it is the TECHNOLOGY.  There are really only 2 types - GSM (SIM Card) & CDMA/PCS/EVO

From what I've seen, CDMA/PCS/EVO phones work in more places than GSM (SIM card) phones.

HOWEVER, that can vary.  CDMA phones work for crap in Lingle, while GSM phones run full bars.  OTOH, the converse is true in Torrington.

It's all about tower placement.  And while that DOES vary by carrier, from what I've seen with carrying both forms of tech, the CDMA (Verizon/Alltell/???) has fewer overall dead spots than GSM (AT&T/???).

Find out what tech the carrier uses and you will have a better clue as to coverage.
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline craigercj

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »
Union is a Wyoming company providing service to WY and parts of UT and CO.. so that's also a plus.

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:21:12 AM »
I have Alltel.
Most everyone around Crook County has Alltel.
Works great where I am.

I'm one of those crazy people that uses my phone for voice, so I don't know about the data aspect.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Stratispho

• Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »
Anyone currently in the Sublette or Sweetwater counties that can say what cell service they use. I'm mostly interested in making voice calls and sending text messages so data is only icing on the cake so to speak.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline craigercj

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »
Anyone currently in the Sublette or Sweetwater counties that can say what cell service they use. I'm mostly interested in making voice calls and sending text messages so data is only icing on the cake so to speak.

Sweetwater Co. here. As before - Verizon..