Author Topic: Scraping the muck off your soul  (Read 31425 times)

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Scraping the muck off your soul
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
Well, about me... I'm 30, single, former Marine, ...
But always a rifleman, no? :)

In August I begin EMT training full time and then on to Paramedic training. Would love to get some Tactical Combat Casualty Care training as well.
More is better.  Wyoming does not have EMT-P certs, just B and I.  But that extra training and skillset will be surely valuable.

It is stressful living where I do. To tell you the truth I hate the idea of G.O.O.D. when the riots start here almost as much as I hate living here. There are packs wolves roaming this city who need a hammer dropped on them. Hard. And a lot of nice, fashionable, clueless people who will have horrible misfortune befall them. I feel guilty about being so prepared and leaving, at the the same time I dispise the G.D. liberals here. But this will be no place to be trapped and that I feel is the reality.
Maybe this is part of your life's path, seeing and understanding these obstacles.  And now that you see and understand them, you can walk on past them.  Let them continue to figure out the lessons they need to complete before they can move on.  Their spiritual progress is not your responsibility.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 04:46:20 AM »
Welcome, Dodd! If at all possible, plan to come to the Jamboree in June. I think you'll find that new family immediately. :) And if you really want to save time and effort, bring your stuff. You probably won't want to go back. :) Lots of "former Marines" here too.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Dodd

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Oath Keeper
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
But always a rifleman, no? :)

Yes Sir. I'm actually about to run out the door to UPS and pick up my Smooth Kote and BP2000. For my new DSA and JARD parts. YEAH!

Maybe this is part of your life's path, seeing and understanding these obstacles.  And now that you see and understand them, you can walk on past them.  Let them continue to figure out the lessons they need to complete before they can move on.  Their spiritual progress is not your responsibility.

Let me consider this point. I respect your input and thank you for offering it. I feel very strong emotions about this issue. It's chivalry. Honor. Freedom. Survival. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right. However relative right and wrong seem when you're in a war. And that's how this feels.

But I am firmly committed to my mission the way I understand it. What's right in front of me and where the path is leading. I'm not the director calling the shots. I'm praying for knowledge of my creator's will for me. The power to carry it out. And the eyes to see the path as it unfolds. Strength is faith. But rarely will the Great Spirit speak directly to you. One must be open to signs and the people who cross your path.

[/quote]
Welcome, Dodd! If at all possible, plan to come to the Jamboree in June. I think you'll find that new family immediately. :) And if you really want to save time and effort, bring your stuff. You probably won't want to go back. :) Lots of "former Marines" here too.

And MaMaLiberty, thank you so much. It's great to meet you guys. I'll have to read some more of your posts and post some more myself so that you can get to know me too.

I've indulged in philosophical waxing and now I must go. Sentry Solutions is beckoning me to UPS!

Offline Athanasius

• Casual Observer
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »
There are packs wolves roaming this city who need a hammer dropped on them. Hard. And a lot of nice, fashionable, clueless people who will have horrible misfortune befall them. I feel guilty about being so prepared and leaving, at the the same time I dispise the G.D. liberals here.

Can't save the world, brother. Only the Good Lord can do that. Now, that's not to say that if SHTF, you can't drop the hammer on any street scum between you and the exit...  >:D
"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner."

Offline Dodd

• Oath Keeper
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
Thank's man. I agree. I'm not too Alpha either to say I appreciate getting a response to my new-guy posts. It's encouraging. Nothing from Boston yet though. OMG Boston you're my hero!  :D

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »
Thank's man. I agree. I'm not too Alpha either to say I appreciate getting a response to my new-guy posts. It's encouraging. Nothing from Boston yet though. OMG Boston you're my hero!  :D

He'll be posting eventually. I don't think he even looks at the forum every day, but he usually sees the "new folks" posts. Busy guy. :)

Offline Dodd

• Oath Keeper
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
Hey thanks MamaLiberty. That last post of mine sounded a little self-centered. I didn't mean it that way I'm just a little busy too and well, honestly my standard excuse of not sleeping is wearing thin.

Um, I've been thinking about how I would like to come up for the Jamboree in June. But I do need to stay the course here and put every penny toward logistics at least for this year. I do believe that the dollar does not have long to live. And then all hell will break loose. I'm only in the city for financial reasons. My hearts with you all in Wyoming. And the idea of having a community with lots of Marines in it is full of meaning as well.

:D I like this smilly face. It looks happy.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »

Dodd, Please check your PMs.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline Dodd

• Oath Keeper
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »
I owe this forum an apology. I felt that I owed the forum an apology as well when I chewed out BluewaterMI instead of suggesting some further reading. But after speaking with someone about it I let it go. The thread that I started "I'M JUST SAYIN" was ignorant and self indulgent, and I know better.

Just one month after I started posting here I've logged 65 posts, a bit obsessive. Now I'll admit that I have an axe to grind with the beast system. And I walk around feeling resentful of myself and others because I feel responsible for doing nothing while the evils I see around me flourish. I'm forever reminded of Nietzsche's quote:"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster..." But I don't want to sound like an agent provocateur. I'm not one.

Joining the discussions on this forum has sort of opened up something within me that I keep private. Terence suggested that I have some soul searching to do and I see that he was right. I've posted things here that no one knows about me. I learned my lesson well from reading "Bulletproof Privacy." I used to carry it in my rucksack as a young Lance Corporal when I would go to the field. That and "Unintended Consequences" which I found and paid for with cash instead of my credit card and I though I was so smart because I learned it in Boston's book! I remember when I finally got to lounge on my pack and break out the books I was so exhausted that I couldn't focus for more than half a page. Those books are still on my shelf today. I learned some other great things from them as well.

However I do have a lot to learn about Libertarianism. I haven't had the discipline. I also got away from preparedness and following current events for years because I never learned to balance them and reconcile some of the aspects of that within myself and it just became toxic. But I never stopped studying martial science. I never quit thinking like a sheepdog. I also never learned to make good use of it. I have a lot to learn and I welcome all of you to pull me up, point the way and tell me if I'm wrong. So, God willing, you'll be hearing less of me but I'll be here! Studying and reading instead of posting. I'm blessed to be able to learn here and get a chance to be a part of this. Thank you!

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »

It's quite a balancing out to keep a little fire in the belly without burning out.
If you're going to be all gracious about it, Dodd, I'd take a little passion over lukewarm, any day.
On the winding road towards optimizing freedom the areas of study are breathtaking: Economics, Money, Food,
Politics, Philosophy, Science, History, Law, Defense, Current Events, etc.

Not to mention keeping everyday life on track during the pursuit!

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »
Dodd, I hope you will come to the campout next month regardless. Consider it an investment, not an expense. I don't think you would ever regret it.  An articulate young man who is willing to admit his error and still seek to learn is a rare thing these days. And finding a community of like minded people will help balance that fire in the belly with solid friendship, honest dialog and information.

Looking forward to meeting you, indeed.

Offline Dodd

• Oath Keeper
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
Thank you. It means a lot. I've already bought my plane ticket and sent my money to Boston for the Jam.  :)

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
Thank you. It means a lot. I've already bought my plane ticket and sent my money to Boston for the Jam.  :)

Outstanding! See you there. :)

Offline Novak

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »
...If you put aside all the crime, the unemployment/bad-paying jobs and the outrageous cost of living (maybe not from a NY perspective, but still more than double what utilities and other essentials cost out here), it's still the culture--or lack thereof--that really killed me. It was just horrible... I am not trying to exaggerate.

Aside from that, it's the people and the culture that really makes this part of the continent home for me. I don't even like calling businesses that have call centers out East (like my bank) because their reps are so damn Eastern! I don't know if I could adequately express what makes someone Eastern (this type of personality is certainly not restricted to any geographic location, but the coasts generally have a nauseating concentration of them), but I'm sure you know what I mean, Novak.

J. Scott Davis,

You were 100% right, and over the past eight months I have come to understand it.
"I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance...I want the whole bloody thing." -Kim du Toit

Offline tozierpatriot

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
I feel the very same thing. I have been a city boy my whole life and I would drop it in a heartbeat if not for some factors:
1. Money- or the significant lack thereof.
2. Family (especially a sister-in-law who is at present dependent on us) including 6 out of 7 children who still live at home.
3. Job
4. debt and other obligations I feel require attention now

If money were not so tight I would have made the trip last month... as I also wish I could do for Libertopia in October. For now, I have to bide my time and work toward a level of freedom where I am currently. Arizona does have some freedom friendliness not found in many states. I would prefer a little less heat though! My wife puts up with my meager attempts at preparedness, but beyond a garden and a gun I don't know that she is willing for much else to change in our lives. She has struggled with other recent changes, mostly in religion/philosophy, but has come to grips and supported this for the most part. Right now I feel like she is the one who needs as much stability as I can offer. Moving away from both of her sisters would be a major proposal right now!

All in all, I do my best to unmuck through reading, blogging, and writing. I finished one book and put it on the web, and am working on a short novel now. Work and kids take up the rest of my time... So, I am right there as far as not being able to make such a big move for now. I want to get away almost as much as I want to be the best husband and father I can be. I know that providing a pro-freedom environment is important and I do encourage it in my family. As I can, I hope to make those little steps toward ultimate freedom sooner rather than later.

Peace
TP
The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason. Thomas Paine

Purpose in all things. Kimberly Wiseman

Benjamin Franklin, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."